Has anyone had surgery without 6 month diet?

Shantel35
on 5/24/10 12:32 pm - Savannah, GA

I was told by someone that you could have the surgery if you complete a three month diet and exercise, anyone experience this?

LaShelle2
on 5/24/10 11:28 pm, edited 5/25/10 1:36 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
The pre-operative insurance requirements are determined by your insurance provider and your employer.

YES, there are some insurances that only require a 3 month diet. Others do not require any pre-op diet at all.

You will need to comply with what your insurance and your surgeon requires.  Don't compare your pre-op requirements to others unless they have the exact same plan and exact same employer.  Even if they have the same type of insurance you have, and you have different employers, your requirements may still not be the same.  It could lead to misinformation and you could be denied by insurance for not following your plan's rules. No way around it, sorry.  

If your insurance requires 6 months, just make the best of the situation and use those 6 months for more research and self improvement as you prepare for your new life.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/10 11:33 pm - Hawkinsville, GA
I haven't had my surgery yet so I am not one to answer questions but...I think it depends on your insurance coverage whether or not you must diet.  I know one lady on this board who said she did not have to diet presurgery.  However my insurance company requires that I comply with a 6 month physician supervised diet before they will approve my surgery.
Fascinated One
on 5/25/10 12:23 am - Atlanta, GA
I agree with LaShelle that it all depends on your insurance. With Aetna I had the option of a 6 month diet or a 3 month diet/nutrition program. I opted for the 3 month program. I met with a doctor and went to a group nutrition class monthly at Emory.

But check with your insurance to see if they offer options.
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
sghatl
on 5/26/10 3:33 am - Lilburn, GA
I didn't have to diet at all before my surgey.  Just two days of clear liquids.
Total Weight Loss Journey since 02/07

lap band  12/06/07                  Shirley
revision to RNY 04/06/10 (w167)
H335/S(LB)268/S(GP)167/C148/145 
LaShelle2
on 5/26/10 4:49 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
She's talking about the 6 month physician supervised diet for insurance approval, not the pre-op diet to clean your system out and shrink your liver before the procedure :-).

If you had Medicare, Aetna, or Tricare, you may not have been required to do a 6 month pre-op diet. Most of the other insurances do...
AlyJennings
on 8/24/10 1:09 pm

Aetna requires a 6 month physician monitored diet plan or a 3 month multi disciplinary plan.

Aly

"The only things worth stealing, are kisses from a sleeping child."

Most Active