Physician Monitored Weightloss Plan

MARTINA P.
on 5/11/10 11:52 am - ROCKMART, GA
Ok I met one of my goals today I went to my first physician monitored weight loss plan appointment I only have 5 to go.  My Doctor put me on a type 2 diabetic diet.  OK I know that I can drop the weight while on this diet problem is that I will loose the weight and then gain it back. I want to know how much did everyone loose during the 6 month weight loss plan.  I have the fear that I will loose so much that my insurance will say I do not need Weight loss surgery.  I want to have the DS.  In the past I have lost approximately 65 lbs in 6 months.  Please let me someone how much weight is OK and still qualify for weight loss surgery.  I am determine to have weight loss surgery and I want it to be DS.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

brenda549
on 5/11/10 11:28 pm - Duluth, GA
Without knowing your insurance company and their requirements I cannot answer the question about how much you can lose and still get a DS.  I would suggest you contact your insurance provider and get that information from them first hand. 

As for the 6 month supervised diet, I started at 357 last May.  By my appointment in July I was down to 345.  I stayed there until December when I weighed in at 335.  Remember, this will be different than any other diet you have been on.  Many of us can lose the weight.  We just always gain it back, plus some.  This time, any weight you lose up to surgery day will stay off once you get the surgery. 
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

MARTINA P.
on 5/12/10 10:30 am - ROCKMART, GA
I have SHBP and will use United Health Care HRA.  If I0% of current weight I will be at a BMI of 49.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

DeniseATL
on 5/13/10 12:33 pm - Atlanta, GA
State Health requires a BMI of 50 for Weight Loss surgery.
brenda549
on 5/13/10 11:24 pm - Duluth, GA
I think you mean a BMI of 50 for DS.  I know SHBP UHC requires a BMI of 35 with comobidities and 40 without comorbidities for RNY, Lapband, or Sleeve.   

HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

DeniseATL
on 5/14/10 1:08 am - Atlanta, GA
Sorry you are right.. I meant 50 for DS  Thanks
LaShelle2
on 5/19/10 6:56 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I have shbp Cinga HRA. 

With the pre-op diet all you are required to do is go visit the doctor 6 times once a month for 6 months. You are NOT required to lose any certain amount of weight.

I  only lost 7 pounds on the pre-op diet because my bmi was bout 52 and I didn't want it to drop below 50 for the DS.

If your bmi is lower than 50 the shbp insurance will NOT cover DS.

My advice,  when your bmi gets down to 52-53 stop losing,  then get your insurance approval, and diet like crazy to lose as much weight as possible AFTER insurance approves you. 

Once insurance  approves the surgery it does not matter how much weight you lose. And, you DO want to lose some before surgery to shrink your liver and make your heart as strong as possible. In fact, some surgeons wil not do wls if you do not lose a little.

Discuss the bmi requirements for shbp insurance with your DS surgeon, and explain your need not to let your  bmi drop below 50 and he will work with you to make sure you are on track.   You are not the only one to have been in this situation. The surgeons are all familliar with the red tape you have to cross to get the insurance companies to comply.

I hope this helps :-)

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MARTINA P.
on 5/19/10 12:07 pm - ROCKMART, GA
Yes it did help me a lot so I will watch how much I lose because my BMI is only 54 I believe I weighed 311 lbs at 5ft 3 inches when I went for first 6 month weight loss program with PCP.  I am trying to watch it.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        

FOXYBROWN MAMA
on 5/29/10 7:29 am
 The surgeon goes by the weight that you are when you go to see him.  At least mine did.
Most Active