Gaining weight during supervised diet!

AndreaH09
on 5/11/10 10:35 am
I have SHBP - UHC - HRA.
After I posted on here about having a BMI of 40 and being worried about losing below that and not getting approved....................................I have found that I am GAINING WEIGHT!   I am on month 4 of my supervised diet and am up 10 pounds from my weight when I had my visit with the surgeon's office back in February.  I should finish the supervised dieting requirements in mid July.  My intention was to not lose below 40 BMI during the 6 months so that there would be NO QUESTION about my eligibility for WLS coverage and not have to rely on co-morbidites that have strings attached to the insurande requirements if dropping below 40 BMI.  My weight has crept up on me while waiting for this 6 months to be over with and now I am worried that I won't get approved because of GAINING weight on the supervised diet.

Any SHBP UHC WLS vets have any experience with this situation?  Should I go on a crash diet and try to lose the 10 lbs by July.................which is only 2 months away?!?!?!?!?!?!

I am not at all scared of the surgery...............I am scared of the insurance company!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

FOXYBROWN MAMA
on 5/15/10 1:42 am
 My weight fluctuated the six months.  I think i lost maybe 1 lb.  I am using Dr. Macik, I can not gain more than what I weighed when I went in to see him originally for my surgery.  I have SHBP - Cigna HRA.  They request that your doctor put in their letter what your BMI was for two years.  My put that it was 40.  They approved it after they had all of my paperwork within one hour.  My surgery is scheduled for may 26th.  My doctor has me on a no/low carb diet two weeks prior to the surgery.  I am trying to lose a few pounds to ensure that I stay under my original weight.  I would say as long as you are at your weight from your consult, you will be fine.
LaShelle2
on 5/19/10 7:05 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Andrea calm down :-)

They don't care how much you lose or gain, just that you do the 6 diet visits.

BUT,  gaining weight fast can make a fatty liver.  So just try not to gain too much more.

You are going to be approved within a day or 2 of sending in the paperwork. I promise!

Since shbp started covering wls in 2009,  I have only heard of shbp insurance denying 1 request for wls and that was because of an issue with insurance changing the requirments without letting us know. They ended up approving her at the 2nd request without her having to do any more pre-op work from my recollection.  Everyone else was approved within a matter of hours or a couple of days at most.

Getting insurance approval is not as hard as we think it is. As long as you do everything on that list and your surgeon sends in everything properly documented, insurance will NOT deny you :-)

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Most Active