Emory Bariactrics ??

reshew
on 4/27/10 3:32 am - lilburn, GA
i was wondering if anyone on here went through them to get their surgery if so how do they go about doing it. some places want u to get all ur clearences before u have a appointment with the surgeon. how do they do it?
Fascinated One
on 4/27/10 5:11 am - Atlanta, GA
I did all of my pre-op at Emory last year. The first step was to attend their seminar. I attended last June and it too****il December 30 to complete the 3 month diet and all the pre-op testing.

You'll have an initial meeting with the surgeon sometime during your supervised diet, then another meeting with him/her after insurance approval. Before your second visit with the surgeon, though, you will have to pay a $600 non-refundable program fee for the nutritionist and lifetime support group.

Emory won't submit paperwork to insurance until after you see the surgeon.
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
reshew
on 4/27/10 6:53 am - lilburn, GA
oh ok thanks for the response. $600 is a lot of money what kind of insurence did you have, hoe come they cant pay it
bskarenf
on 4/27/10 7:13 am
no my insurance didn t pay for that. but emory tells you some insurance s will.  You cant schedule surgery either til they get their cash. 
they do probably have the least expensive program fee. and they are good to get things thru to your insurance, but  who else might your insurance let you use?
Fascinated One
on 4/27/10 11:19 pm - Atlanta, GA
I have Aetna and was told by Emory that they do not file insurance for the program fee. The surgeon I'm using now does not charge a program fee, but he is out-of-state.
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
reshew
on 4/27/10 7:32 am - lilburn, GA
well i have medicaid and i called to make sure that they accept it and they do so thats where ill be goin i was usin dr.duncan but i really dont like the way the office staff there works
walterswife
on 5/1/10 4:00 am
I truly understand your decision to dump the Duncan crew.  Who else in Georgia accepts Medicaid?  I agree that $600.00 is alot of money to come up with at one time.

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

freshman1
on 5/2/10 12:38 am
I had surgery through them and have only compliments for everyone involved.  You will see a wonderful physician three times. She specializes in bariatrics and can answer many questions you might be thinking you'd ask your surgeon.  The nutrition and motivation meetings are amazingly helpful too. I just wrote about $$ on the VSG forum. 
Good luck in all you do!

Most Active