LOW CARB SUPPORT..LET'S TALK!!

NY2ATL *
on 4/26/10 1:04 am
My new OH WLS friend, Ahari, asked me to start posting my Low Carb Support Thread here (I've been posting on the Lap Band Forum for 4 months or so)
So this being my first post here, I just want to say Hi!
Patty

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Monday Morning LC'ers!!
I hope you all had a great weekend..
I met with some WLS ladies on Saturday evening..I was the only Lap Bander..all the ladies that attended were really nice..(no surgery wars! LOL)
The lady that organized the meet and greet is Ahari..she was so sweet and very enthusiastic about her WL journey! I know she's going to do well!
It was interesting to hear everyone tell their stories..and what made them ultimately decide to have WLS.
This is what I learned:
We may have all chosen different vehicles to take us on our journeys, but our destinations are all exactly the same.
We all want to lose weight and be healthier.
I talked with the ladies a little about low carb ( of course!) and how I know for a fact I could not have lost the weight I have so far without low carb.
That is the absolute truth..
That said, I talked a little about my lifelong addiction to sugar and high carbs and how it caused me to get to my all time high weight of 278 pounds.
Sugar caused my insatiable hunger and cravings and led to my bingeing behaviors.
I told the ladies that I could keep my calories under 1200 a day..excercise regularly, but if I allowed myself to eat sugar and high carb (low fat/fat free) foods..I would gain weight..I know this to be true because I wasted about 8 months of my life doing a low fat/fat free/low calorie diet and the result was I was fatter at the end of the 8 months. No exaggeration.
I know that sugar is more than food to me..its an addictive substance.
I can't eat it "in moderation" any more than an alcoholic can drink in moderation or a drug addict can take just a hit or two of their drug of choice.
All of us have our triggers...we all have our demons..identifying them is key if we can ever expect to conquer them.

I get so frustrated seeing posts from people that are obviously struggling, they're becoming discouraged, and I can tell they have that awful feeling of failure at losing weight, yet again..believe me, I know how that feels!
I've been there more times than I care to count in my life.
I read these posts and I want to reach out and help them..I always try to offer my experiences and encouragement..
I don't want to get on my soap box and scream that low carb is the only way to go..but for some of us it actually is!!
Those of us that are sugar/carb addicted know the rush that we get from sugar and carbs..the way we feel compelled to turn to sugar and carbs when we're stressed, anxious, sad, lonely, bored or pretty much feeling any type of emotion.
Studies show that the vast majority of people that are considered "emotional eaters"  have reported that their foods of choice are sugar and high carb foods.
Those of us that are sugar/carb addicted know that when we eat those foods, within an hour or so we're craving more, even though we may actually be physically full..our brain will keep telling us we need to eat more of these foods..and more and more..
The entire time we are consuming these foods, the insulin spike in our bodies is making it absolutely impossible to burn any stored fat..in fact that same insulin spike tells our bodies to store every single calorie we are consuming as fat..immediately.
Anyone that is a sugar/carb addict will recognize these feelings and behaviors immediately....the hard part is admitting to ourselves.
The best thing about realizing we have a sugar addiction is that once we have identified the problem and admitted to ourselves that we are powerless over the addiction..we can take the steps neccesary to overcome it.
And here's the kicker folks..the only way to overcome it is to not eat them anymore..
Forget about all that "in moderation" crap..that's just not going to work for us!
We have to keep the sugar and high carbs out of our bodies entirely to avoid the physical and neurolgical reactions they cause.
Period. That's it..nothing very complicated here!
It's pretty straightforward and simple.
Here are the physical facts:
No sugar in means no insulin spike.
No insulin spike means level blood glucose.
Level blood glucose means no inappropriate hunger or cravings.
Here are the neurological facts:
No sugar in means no innapropriate changes in the seratonion levels in the brain.
This literally means no more insatiable cravings for more and more sugar..
All of the seemingly complicated issues related to sugar addiction have one very simple, reliable solution.

We cannot continue to eat sugar and high carb foods.

The benefits of not eating these foods are so much better than one can even imagine!
# 1 is obviously weight loss..without the insulin spikes, our bodies can get to the task of effectively burning our stored fat.
Then there is the relief from hunger and cravings..which brings with it the most wonderful benefit of all.....
The feeling of empowerment and self control..

I, for one..never thought I could ever control my hunger, cravings and sugar binges..
I have..and all it took was my initial committment to stop eating sugar and high carbs..after I allowed my body to detox..staying away from these foods became easier and easier..and the few times I've been tempted to have sugar..my ongoing weight loss was all the motivation I needed to stop, think about the consequences..and ultimately walk away from the food.
Detox isn't fun..(you know me..I'm not gonna lie to you and say it is!)..but the misery of detox doesn't last forever..you do have to stick with it..you can't do it a day or two and decide it's too hard and just give up..
Believe me when I say that as each day of detoxing from sugar/carbs passes..it will get easier.
You cannot allow yourself any cheats..every time you let the sugar in..you put yourself back to square one. (keeping that in mind in may stop you from making that bad decision to have the candy bar or that cookie!)
As I've said many times..all of us have to find our own way on our journeys to a healthier weight and lifestyle..
Low carb is not the way for everyone..
But to those that are addicted to sugar and carbs (and you know who you are!)... it is absolutely the only way to go.
Have a good day.

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

Roxy2974
on 4/26/10 6:49 am - Austell, GA
Patty,
I so thank you for this and I know many of us can benefit from these post. U may not get many replies as it seems the GA board does not have many active posters but I am sure people will read it. I so look forward to learning more about Low Carb eating from you. I am blessed to have met you!
`Ahari

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
NY2ATL *
on 4/26/10 6:54 am
Hi Ahari!!
Thanks so much....please do keep in touch!

For Low Carb Recipes:

lenora05
on 4/26/10 1:30 pm - duluth, GA
thanks for posting this info about low carb dieting,this is very helpful to me.  thanks
NY2ATL *
on 4/26/10 11:31 pm
You're very welcome!

For Low Carb Recipes:

Roxy2974
on 4/26/10 3:15 pm - Austell, GA
I LOVED THIS POST!
Hi, My name is `Ahari and I am a Sugar/High Carb Addict!
I went grocery shopping today and spent $70.00 just on beef, chicken, fish and pork. My freezer is like where did all this protein come from??? I spent another $40.00 on Vegetables, guacamole, scallions, red pepper, cheeses and canola oil. I also got Dream fields pasta and a low carb spaghetti sauce and ricotta cheese, I plan on making a low carb baked pasta di**** shouldn't be more than 10 carbs per serving. I am trying to get down to your 20 carbs a day..lol..Tonight I made grilled salmon topped with shrimp and Parmesan cheese, it was delicious and my Kitchen was shocked that I was actually cooking. U are my inspiration!
Love `Ahari

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
NY2ATL *
on 4/26/10 11:30 pm
Thank you for appreciating me! LOL

For Low Carb Recipes:

Most Active