Cravings...

fiya79ga
on 4/22/10 11:28 pm - Dunwoody, GA

Have anyone been experiencing real strong cravings for certain foods?

I am 8 months post op and about the 5 or 6 months I started getting real stong craving for different type of foods.  It seems that the more I try to fight my cravings, the stonger my cravings get.  I feel like a drug addict at times trying to get a fix...SMH

Is it just me or is anyone going through this now?

LaShelle2
on 4/22/10 11:38 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Sure, everyone get's cravings...

Sometimes it can be a sign you are defecient in something especially if you are craving salty stuff, or ice.  Or it can be hormonal time of the month, emotional if you're stressed.  Have you had labs recently.  You are at a point post op where your vitamin levels may be starting to drop and show itself.

What are you craving?

Are you hungry, or just craving in general. Your pouch may be starting to stretch a little for you to eat more? 

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

fiya79ga
on 4/23/10 12:03 am - Dunwoody, GA
I am craving bad stuff...everything from chips, chocolate, to muffins....I am usually not hungry...its just a craving that comes to me through out the day. 

Yes, I had my lab works done and the only thing that was low was my iron level.

I have noticed that I am able to eat a little bit more than I did when I was 4 months out, but I try not to over do it and stop when I fill full...

Hopefully these craving will calm down or have me start craving healthy foods likes carrots, celery...lol
LaShelle2
on 4/23/10 12:57 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Well ususlaly craving salty stuff is frm low iron, so unfortunately we can't blame that on the cookie cravings.

Do you have dumping syndrome?

Can you so a rny friendly version of those foods in moderation?

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

fiya79ga
on 4/23/10 1:26 am - Dunwoody, GA

I only dump on certain things...yeah, I can and I have.  But its weird because before my surgery my cravings weren't as bad as they are now...

Well the DR put me on iron pills, so I know its been working. I don't feel cold like I used to be. 

Thanks

LaShelle2
on 4/23/10 1:34 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Sorry, I don't know much to say. Hopefully some rny'ers will chime in and give some advice. 

I can't imagine wanting something and not being able to have it.  It's hard for me to suggest something when I haven't walked in your shoes.

You're having  a hard time because you want food and you can't have it. I have a hard time because I have to eat all the time to keep up with my DS appetite and keep my weight loss to slow down. And,  I get bored with with eating all the time!  (having a slice of Mrs. Edwards Key Lime Pie as I type... I know give this DS'er the middle finger.. right?)   I'll trade grocery bills with you and we can call call it even.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

fiya79ga
on 4/23/10 1:48 am - Dunwoody, GA
lol...I understand about your grocery bills because buying all these vitamins makes my bill knd of expensive.  I don't have a Costco or Sam's Club membership, so I am paying for vitamins what seems like every month. 

Wow, I didn't know with the DS your appetite increases since its burning the fat so fast...so are your portions much smaller?

With the RNY, well with me, there are days when I have to force myself to eat because I am not hungry at all...

I do know one thing, I know bread is no longer a friend to me. I noticed that when I do  eat bread, I get full faster. So I barely keep bread in my house....
LaShelle2
on 4/23/10 1:59 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Yes my portions are much smaller than I could eat pre-op, but sometimes I am amazed at how much can fit intomy new tummy. I feel like I haven't had surgery at all.  But if I eat, bread, rice or pasta, I get full faster too.  I think that's the same for all the surgeries.

I also am more careful drinking with bread because I cant eat as much.  Everything else I can eat and drink ok.

Do you have good support from a rny buddy that understands your surgrey better. Maybe they can give you some advice on how they handle the cravings and trying to stay on track with your diet requirements. 

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

fiya79ga
on 4/23/10 3:44 am - Dunwoody, GA
Yeah, I have a good friend that had the RNY for about 6 years now that I talk to about this. I also have a cousin whom has had it.  But like with all surgeries, each experience with each person is different.  She actually warned me about this and just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced it. 

The RNYers are not supposed to eat and drink at the same time, so I know if I did I would get sick...

I appreciate all your advice and will check with other RNYers about cravings...
NY2ATL *
on 4/24/10 1:29 am
I'm extremely sugar/carb sensitive..I stay low carb (under 20 grams a day) because I'm not able to eat "just a little" of sweets and carbs..the cravings will kill me..it's scientifically proven that carbs raise insulin levels in the blood, and when the insulin levels drop..we experience cravings for more carbs or sugar..staying on low carb is the only way for me to avoid that..

For Low Carb Recipes:
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LCRECIPES/discussion/  

Most Active