Dennis C. Smith, Jr., MD, FACS

MARTINA P.
on 4/23/10 7:38 am - ROCKMART, GA
I would love to meet you and go with you to Nashville so I can learn more.  I have made the decision to pray about everything and research the mess out of all the Drs. that SHBP give as option.  I have a question how many times did you have to go see Dr Houston before surgery.  Post opt do you go to Dr. every 3 months.

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

LaShelle2
on 4/24/10 2:55 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I met with him 1 time before surgery. I did all my pre-op paperwork, testing, labs, nutritionist calss, etc in 1 day.

Post op you will need to see him in 1 week and every 3 months until your 1 year appt. If you are doing well he will allow you to do the 9 month over the phone and get your labs locally.

I had done a lot of pre op testing and pre-op classed with Dr. Voellinger, so I had already been approved. This made the process go really quickly for me once I switched.

You mentioned you don't want to go out of state. What are your concerns?  I was scared to go out of state too, but now all my phobias seem silly when I look back on it. 

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

CallMeMsE
on 4/27/10 8:37 pm - Duluth, GA
I didn't use Dr. Smith's people for my preop testing. He offer recommendations but I had my own.
sassyjonz
on 4/23/10 12:31 am - Atlanta, GA

I had my DS with Dr. Maynard in Feb.  He is a fine surgeon.  His office is in Conyers.  His next support group meeting is May 20.  There is no program fee.  He does perform his surgeries open so if that is an issue for you then that is something to consider.

Lia 

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

K M.
on 4/30/10 2:39 pm - Atlanta, GA
I met Dr. Smith years ago (before he got too big for his britches, lol) and he seemed to be a well informed, nice guy. By the time I got insurance coverage, Icouldn't get an appointment with him :-(

But...I have had no regrets with having my surgery done by Dr, Maynard in Conyers. He has a great bed side manner and is very knowledgable about the DS and its benefits.

I agree w/ LaShell -- you should meet with as many surgeons as possible before settling on one. I would also add that the ultimate end goal is to have a successful weight loss with the DS, not to have surgery by a "nice guy."

Kat

Sunshine16
on 5/18/10 9:59 am
Dr. Smith is now with Wellstar, they currently work with serveral insurances now.  Check them out. I met with him and sat with him for one hour.  HE is extremely informed and he really seems to care for his patients. He does not rush he review your records and treat you as a patient as a unique individual because he knows everyone situation might be different.  Be patient with them, his staff is always on call.  You just have to be patient with their process step.
Most Active