Dennis C. Smith, Jr., MD, FACS

MARTINA P.
on 4/21/10 12:08 pm - ROCKMART, GA

Hello,
I am searching for a surgeon right now and because I want a surgeon that is willing to talk about all my surgery options and the surgeon that I was going to use previously do not do DS.  I want to find out about this Dr. and particular knowledge, If he have a decent bed side manner.  I have Georgia SHBP for insurance.  Please provide me with as much information as possible about this Dr.  And where I can find a support meeting with well-star near Dallas.  All information is wanted.  If you had DS surgery please let me know your experience.  I have narrowed choices down to RYN and DS. 

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

talksoupslp
on 4/22/10 12:05 am
At last check, Dr. Smith does NOT accept SHBP insurance.  To my knowledge, all SHBP people who have had the DS have gone to surgeons out of state.

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
Fascinated One
on 4/22/10 1:04 am - Atlanta, GA
He's supposed to be one of the top DS surgeons, and some swear by him, but I wasn't even able to get my foot in his door. I was already approved for RNY when I decided to switch to the DS. I had my medical records sent to Dr. Smith's office and they sat in his office for 2 months. I never could get his office staff to send the paperwork to insurance to have the approval transferred. They kept coming up with all kinds of BS until his practice was finally bought out by Wellstar Hospital and he was no longer on my insurance. So after wasting months of precious time, I found Dr. Houston in Nashville. His office staf***** the insurance approval transferred in 4 days.

That's my experience.....
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
LaShelle2
on 4/23/10 12:10 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Fascinated... don't look back with any regrets.  You are blessed to be with Dr. Houston.

Did you ask Holly about giving you a date?

We are going to be up there Jun 4  with the Atlanta Crew and I will be there Jul 23, so let me know if these coincide with your surgery date or foolow-up date, so we can come see you.

Also if you need an angel up there,let Izzy know, so she can introduce you to John. He is a sweetheart to all of the Atlanta DSers. 

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Fascinated One
on 4/23/10 5:12 am - Atlanta, GA
Fascinated One
on 4/24/10 6:51 pm - Atlanta, GA
Hey LaShelle, I meet with Dr. H on Monday 4/26, so I'll get a date then. And I'll check with Izzy about John. I do credit him for opening my eyes to Dr. H.
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
LaShelle2
on 4/22/10 3:15 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I heard Dr Smith was supposed to be in network with shbp but the hospital is NOT, so you won't be able to use him until the hospital is in network.

If this is a time sensitive thing for you, consider Dr. Houston in Nashville as a back up plan. His office gave me a surgery date in 1 day and had my insurance approval transferred in a few days.  I was also able to do all my pre-op testing here in GA which was convenient.

As for Dr. Smith, he is a well respected surgeon inthe DS commnity, and I think you would be in good hands with him if he ever does get in network, I just wouldn't hold my breath and put my DS on hold waiting for them.  I was told the same thing November 208 when I started this process. Imagine the delimma I would be in if I had trusted they would get in network with shbp.

call his office and see if they can give you a definite date they will be in network. if they can't definitely explore other options for your DS.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MARTINA P.
on 4/22/10 12:35 pm - ROCKMART, GA
Thanks everyone, I do not know what Im going to do because I do want to do DS but I do not want to go out of state.  I guess I have to go back to the drawing board and pray he is in network or come up with another plan. 
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Roxy2974
on 4/22/10 1:04 pm - Austell, GA
Do a post and ask about Dr. Maynard he is in GA as well and does all procedures.

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
LaShelle2
on 4/23/10 12:05 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
There is also Dr. Michael Blaney in Augusta who is shbp approved.  

Though I am biased towards Dr. Houston in Nashville or Dr. Voellinger in Charlotte.  They are the most expereinced in our area along with Dr. Smith. So if I were in your position and had to drive I would consider Houston or Voellinger as top choices. 

I don't know much about Dr. Blaney to form an opinion about him.   From what I've heard he did DS many years in the military and has recently started offering it in his private practice.  If you get more info on him, please share it with us.

Here is his contact info:

Michael W. Blaney, M.D. 1500 Johns Road Suite 3 Augusta, GA 30904 Phone: (706) 481-7298 Fax: (706) 481-7971

All these surgeons have good reputations, and experience and do all the major surgeries. They come highly reccomended. Anyone else,  I am not comfortable reccomending, but you may find them ok, so do your own research and get your own opinions.

Dr Hugh Houston Nashville - NO PROGRAM FEE, WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO ALL YOUR PRE-OP TESTING IN GA. PAPERWORK PROCESS RUNS SMOOTHLY AND SUPER FAST!!!

Dr. David Voellinger Charlotte - $1000 ESTIMATED PROGRAM FEE (CORRECT ME AHARI IT'S BEEN A MINUTE)  MUST DO ALL PRE-OP TESTING AND CLASSES AT HIS OFFICE WITH HIS STAFF NO EXCEPTIONS!  THEY HAVE A GREAT PRE-OP AND POST OP PROGRAM, BEST I'VE EVER SEEN!  PAPERWORK IS SLLLOOOOOOOWWW, AND THEY LOSE PAPERWORK.

Dr Dennis Smith Marrieta- PROGRAM FEE AROUND $300 WHEN I WENT TO HIS SEMINAR IN 2008.  MUST DO ALL PRE-OP TESTING WITH HIS APPROVED PEOPLE.

Dr Rajan Sudan Ralleigh Durham - DON'T HAVE ANY INFO ON HIM, SORRY. NEVER HEARD ANY BAD RUMORS. YOU WOULD NEED TO POST ON DS FORUM FOR THE DIRT ON HIM. DS'ERS ARE GOOD ABOUT CALLING OUT QUACKS. :-) I SWEAR THEY MUST PUT SOMETHING IN OUR VITAMINS.

not sure about Dr. Michael Blaney Augusta (never heard anything bad, just don't know about him)

Anyone else WOULD NOT USE UNDER ANY CIR****TANCE .... PERIOD.  

We are belssed to have so many DS surgeons within a short drive when we compare ourselves to others that have to fly to their surgeons. Don't get discouraged if you have to make a short drive. It is very worth the extra effort to have a DS.

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO SEE AT LEAST 3 OF THESE SURGEONS BEFORE YOU DECIDE.  I AM PLANNING A TRIP TO SEE DR. HOUSTON JUL 23 FOR FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENTS AND YOU ARE WELCOME TO CARPOOL IF YOU WANT TO MEET HIM AND HANG OUT WITH ME AND EXPERIENCE THE LIFE OS A DS'ER FOR A DAY.

YOU CAN MEET ME SOMEWHERE OFF 75N WHEN I AM ON THE WAY UP THERE.

THERE IS ALSO A FEW GOING JUNE 4 WHICH IS A FURLOUGH DAY FOR US.  IF YOU WANT TO GOLET ME KNOW, AND I CAN SEE IF THERE IS ROOM FOR 1 MORE.

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

Most Active