Weight loss surgery options

MARTINA P.
on 4/15/10 12:55 pm, edited 4/15/10 12:59 pm - ROCKMART, GA

I am looking  for more ideas about the diff rent weight loss surgeries that is available for a person with a BMI over 52 and weigh 307lbs.  I was looking at lap band but now think I need to do  more research and find out which one would be more beneficial for me to loose and keep the most weight off.  I do understand that I need to make my decision on my own but I also want to hear about other people experience that is around my size.  If anyone that is my size had lap band let me know and if you was around my size tell me what surgery you need and what your experience has been

I made first step today toward weight loss surgery.  I made my first appointment with physician for supervised weight loss plan.

MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

LaShelle2
on 4/15/10 11:28 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Here is a comparison chart. Take it with a grain of salt. In a nutshell, the surgeries are rated on efectiveness meaning amount of weight lost and kept off ilong term in the following order:

DS - best
RNY- 2nd best
Vertical Sleeve- 3rd best
Lapband - Least effective

Bariatric Surgical Procedures - Comparison Chart

Don't have insurance coverage for bariatric surgery? Financing now available for weight loss surgery patients!

Modality of Weight Loss Restrictive and Malabsorptive
(stomach and intestines)
Restrictive (stomach only)
Type of Operation Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass Surgery Vertical Gastrectomy with Duodenal Switch Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Lap-Band Procedure
Anatomy Small 1 ounce pouch (20-30cc) connected to the small intestine. Food and digestive juices are separated for 3-5 feet. Long vertical pouch measuring about 4-5 oz (120-150cc). The duodenum (first portion of the small intestine) is connected to the last 6 feet of small intestine. Food and digestive fluids are separated for more than 12 feet. Long narrow vertical pouch measuring 2-3 oz (60-100cc). Identical to the duodenal switch pouch but smaller. No intestinal bypass performed. An adjustable silicone ring (band) is placed around the top part of the stomach creating a small 1-2 ounce (15-30cc) pouch.

Mechanism
  • Significantly restricts the volume of food that can be consumed.
  • Mild malabsorption
  • "Dumping Syndrome" when sugar or fats are eaten
  • Moderately Restricts the volume of food that can be consumed.
  • Moderate malabsorption of fat causing diarrhea and bloating
  • Significantly restricts the volume of food that can be consumed.
  • NO malabsorption
  • NO dumping
  • Moderately restricts the volume and type of foods able to be eaten.
  • Only procedure that is adjustable
  • Delays emptying of pouch
  • Creates sensation of fullness
Weight Loss
United States Average statistical loss at 10 years
  • 70% loss of excess weight
  • More failures (loss of <50% excess weight) than the DS
  • 80% loss of excess weight
  • More patients lose too much weight or develop nutritional problems than the RNY
  • 60%-70% excess weight loss at 2 years
  • Long term results not available at this time.
  • 60% excess weight loss.
  • Requires the most effort of all procedures to be successful.
Long Term Dietary Modification
(Excessive carbohydrate/high calorie intake will defeat all procedures)
  • Patients must consume less than 800 calories per day in the first 12-18 months; 1000-1200 thereafter?3 small high protein meals per day
  • Must avoid sugar and fats to prevent "Dumping Syndrome"
  • Vitamin deficiency/protein deficiency usually preventable with supplements
  • Must consume less than 1000 calories per day in the first 12-24 months, 1200-1500 thereafter
  • Consumption of fatty foods causes diarrhea and malodorous gas/stool
  • Failure to adhere to vitamin supplement regimen and consumption of high protein meals more likely to result in deficiency than RNY
  • Must consume less than 600-800 calories per day for the first 24 months, 1000-1200 thereafter
  • No dumping, no diarrhea
  • Weight regain may be more likely than in other procedures if dietary modifications not adopted for life
  • Must consume less than 800 calories per day for 18-36 months, 1000-1200 thereafter.
  • Certain foods can get "stuck" if eaten (rice, bread, dense meats, nuts, popcorn) causing pain and vomiting.
  • No drinking with meals
Nutritional Supplements Needed (Lifetime)
  • Multivitamin
  • Vitamin B12
  • Calcium
  • Iron (menstruating women)
  • Multivitamin
  • ADEK vitamins
  • Calcium
  • Iron (menstruating women)
  • Multivitamin
  • Calcium
  • Multivitamin
  • Calcium
Potential Problems
  • Dumping syndrome
  • Stricture
  • Ulcers
  • Bowel obstruction
  • Anemia
  • Vitamin/mineral deficiencies (Iron, Vitamin B12, folate)
  • Leak
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Heartburn
  • Severe diarrhea
  • Kidney stones
  • Stricture
  • Ulcers (less than RNY)
  • Bowel obstruction
  • Nutritional/Vitamin deficiencies (Vitamin A,D,E,K)?Loss of too much weight requiring reoperation
  • Leak
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Heartburn
  • Inadequate weight loss
  • Weight regain
  • Additional procedure may be needed to obtain adequate weight loss
  • Leak
  • Slow weight loss
  • Slippage
  • Erosion
  • Infection
  • Port problems
  • Device malfunction
Hospital Stay 2-3 days 3-4 days 1-2 days Overnight (<1 day)
Time off Work 2-3 weeks 2-3 weeks 1-2 weeks 1 week
Operating Time 2 hours 3 hours 1.5 hours 1 hour
Recommendation Most effective for patients with a BMI of 35-55 kg/m2 and those with a "sweet-tooth". Virtually all insurance companies will authorize this procedure. Best for patients with a BMI of > 50 kg/m2. Those with BMI of <45 kg/m2 may lose too much weight. Higher overall incidence of complications than other procedures. Most insurance companies will NOT authorize this procedure. Utilized for high risk or very heavy (BMI > 60 kg/m2) patients as a "first-stage" procedure. Very low complication rate due to quicker OR time and no intestinal bypass performed. Insurance companies will authorize this procedure in select patients. Best for patients who enjoy participating in an exercise program and are more disciplined in following dietary restrictions. Many insurance companies will NOT authorize this procedure.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

brenda549
on 4/16/10 1:12 am - Duluth, GA
I can only give you my experience.  I went in wanting lapband.  After coming here and visiting surgeons meetings, I started looking into DS and RNY.  I have comorbidities that would most likely not resolve themselves with lapband.  I finally decided on RNY.  The DS does have higher rates of resolving diabetes, but I was also having issues with GERD.  I know folks who have been successful with the band, RNY and DS.  I know a few that have been unsuccessful.  It is all about you and how much you are willing to work.  You can eat around and be unsuccesssful with all surgeries. 

Think about what are you willing to give up?  What are you willing to change?  What are you willing to live with for the rest of your life? 

Hope this helps! Good Luck!
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

LaShelle2
on 4/16/10 9:57 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Good advice Brenda. All the wls have their good and bad points. If there were a perfect surgery out there everybody would be skinny.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

MickATL
on 4/17/10 8:16 am - Tucker, GA
My suggestion is do a whole lot of soul searching about how you will be expected to eat for the rest of your life. Did they say for evah evah? Yes. For evah evah! If you read enough surgeon's websites, they post about all surgeries having complication rates ALL of them-- band, bypass, sleeve and DS. All of them can and do experience weight regain. All of them have ways to eat around them if you are determined. It's just the nature of the beast. So, my suggestion is do you research now and ask yourself if you can commit to this for the rest of your life.

Here's some interesting information:
http://www.nawls.com/public/128.cfm

This is an interesting summary of studies done and documented by an expert panel by the government:
http://www.guideline.gov/summary/summary.aspx?doc_id=12924

I think they say that with greater rewards, come greater risks. You may find that one option gives you the biggest bang for your buck and the rewards outweigh the risks. In the end, that's part of how each person makes their decision.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it will be the best option for you. Good luck on your journey!
Mick in Atlanta, GA
Banded 6-18-07
sw 324 & 56"w / cw 214 & 38"w

Most Active