I have a date....year well worth it!!!

Shante81
on 4/13/10 6:16 am - Rancho Cordova, CA
I began this proccess over a year ago not knowing much about this proccess but knowing I needed surgery. Well, this wait was well worth it..I GOT A DATE April 21 is my surgery day...Wow. I am excited and nervous. My paperwork was submitted to medicaid yesterday and I was approved and got my date today..Whoa...I thank you all for providing such an adundance of info and experience with surgery. So what is a must I should take to the hospital and what is a must I should have directly when I get home. I have a limited budget but want to make sure I am well prepared when I get home.
 Vengeance is mine says the Lord y'all knock it off
Me and failure just don't mix...
If you want it, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse.
"Failure cannot cope with persistence."               
AndreaH09
on 4/13/10 11:08 am
Congratulations on your long awaited date!!!
Roxy2974
on 4/13/10 1:14 pm - Austell, GA
CONGRATS! I am so very happy for you!

HW: 410 PLD: 401 SW: 388.8 CW: 240 GW: 180                   

Use Code: TouchstoneGA12 to get your OH conference tickets for $49.00
Shante81
on 4/13/10 10:50 pm - Rancho Cordova, CA
Thanks,.....
LaShelle2
on 4/14/10 12:12 am, edited 4/14/10 12:41 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Congrats girl. Doesn't it feel like you've been running a marathon and the finish line is right in front of you?

I am very happy for you!

Now, as for what to take to the hospital, you're not gonna believe me, but don't take much of anything.  A decent hospital will have EVERYTHING you need. They will provide soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant,  lotion, non slip socks, etc.

I took one of those long handled bath sponges I got at dollar tree for $1. It would have been hard to wash myself without that. I also was glad I took some baby powder, and baby oil gel for my feet. 

Everything else I got from the hospital including a fan and believe it or not they even found a cell phone charger for me because I left mine at home.

Just take a change of clothes or wear what you came in back home. A loose sundress with buttons in the front  would be ideal. I took a cute gown and robe, and I felt like sh+t, so I never came out of the hospital gown.  Plus after I saw  the blood from my drain and all the other icky stuff, and how they came to check my vitals all the time, I am glad because I wouldn't have wanted to mess up my cute gown anyway.  I never saw any other patients in their own gowns either,  just the hospital gowns. The bariatric wings should have some big girl sized gowns, so no worry. 

For home you should have a few protein drink samples, some crystal light or sugar free Gatorade, a few sugar free jello's.   Maybe 2 cans of chicken broth.  DO NOT go out and buy a ton of post op food. You won't eat half of it.  You will be able to go shopping in a week or so, so you will figure out by then what you have a craving for. 

Some people have a list a mile log, but you really don't need all that stuff.

SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR A NEW SKINNY DIVA WARDROBE FOR THIS SUMMER GIRL!!!!

click to zoom

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

LaShelle2
on 4/14/10 12:22 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
P.S. FORGOT TO MENTION...

If you e-mail all the bariatric companies, they will send you  free samples of their protein and vitamins, or will send them for a small fee.   Nectar had a samlpe pack of about 15-20 packs for around $10. I am not sure if they are still running that promo.  it's been almost a year since I ordered mine.

Also check with your surgeon, nutritionist,  or support group leader to see if they have samples to share.  The dietetian in my hospital gave me enough Unjury to last a month!  

You need protein with WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE.  That is the kind we absorb beter.  You need to order it online or from GNC or vitamin shop. The kind at WalMart is not the best for you when you are early out.   You can switch to the cheap kind after 3-4 months when you are eating real food and getting a decent amount of protein from real food. 

Your nutritionist should give you some examples of the best brands.  I reccomend Nectar or Unjury or Isopure for when you are on your clear liqui post op diet. It does not taste great, but it is good for you :-(

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Shante81
on 4/14/10 1:59 pm - Rancho Cordova, CA
Thanks so much Lashelle, I definitely am going to check out these bariatric companies. Some of those things I have brought for the hospital but I travel alot so they will still get used later.
MARTINA P.
on 4/16/10 11:16 am - ROCKMART, GA
Shante let me know how things go.  I hope to have surgery between January 2010 and March 2010.  I am so happy for you and wish you the best of luck.  Just think you will be able to where what you want before you know it.
MARTINA
Rockmart Georgia                        
HW: 315 CW: 117 GW:  First goal 150 met 3/23/2012, Second goal 135

Shante81
on 4/16/10 1:10 pm - Rancho Cordova, CA
Thanks, I will...Best to you on your journey.
cdharr
on 4/20/10 12:09 pm - Hephzibah, GA
Congratulations Shante!!  I will bring you a bag of samples while you are in the hospital.  If for some reason I don't catch you in the hospital, you will get your goodie bag when you return to see Dr. Blaney for your 1 week post-op appointment.  You really don't need to bring much of anything while you're in the hospital, just your cell phone.  There isn't any internet in the rooms, but if someone in your family needs to connect, you can usually catch an internet connection in the lobbies.

Good luck, you're in great hands!

Carla
CJ H
Proximal Open RNY 11/2003
"No tool works if it's been forgotten in the drawer"
Most Active