Need help with paperwork for insurance

meakka
on 4/12/10 1:12 am

I wish to petition Blue Cross of Georgia for my Surgery.  My insurance throught my work is covered my weight loss medicaton given to me by my Doctor.  My weight loss has been a stuggle for many years.  Now I have high blood pressure and was turned down by Life Insurance because of my weight and blood pressure.

Has anyone petitioned a insurance company and/or Blue Cross Blue Shield?  Suggestion and steps I should be doing to get my insurance to cover the surgery?

LaShelle2
on 4/12/10 3:13 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
1st you need to call the 800 number on the back of your card to see if your Blue Cross Plan covers weight loss surgery.  This will depend on if your employer elected to cover weight loss surgery.

If it is covered great! Ask what the pre-op requirements are and start scheduling Dr. visits, etc.  If not, you will have to appeal which could be a legnthy process.

Where do you work? Perhaps someone else on the board has the same Blue Cross plan you have.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

meakka
on 4/12/10 3:45 am

Since January 2010, Blue Cross Blue Shield was paying for the RX the doctor has been giving me  and I paid my Co-pay for my weight loss.  Prior to that BCBS wouldnt pay for it and I paid fully. 

I work for a small company under 10 employees; EGE Seramik America, Inc. in Norcross GA.

LaShelle2
on 4/12/10 5:51 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

You definitely need to call the 800 number to see if you have wls coverage.

It's not Blue cross that decides, it's your employer, so if they tell you it's not covered don't get mad at BCBS, get mad at your job. I am praying you do have the coverage.  It is really hard to get wls if your policy has an exclusion.

If you work for a small company and you are close to the owner and feel comfortale approaching them, you can let them know you would like wls and ask them to include it in your benefits when they remnew the policy.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

meakka
on 4/12/10 4:50 am
LMAO.. funny
Most Active