Anyone heard of Dr. Duncan?

Fascinated One
on 4/9/10 12:36 am - Atlanta, GA
My mom is interested in getting the VSG and is looking into Dr. Duncan of Peachtree Surgical and Bariatrics. He performs procedures at Atlanta Medical Center. Anyone heard of him or had their surgery done by him? Thnx!
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
LaShelle2
on 4/9/10 3:04 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
He is a very well known surgeon, but I would encourage her to have consults with at least 3 surgeons. 

If she has Medicaid,  Atl Med Ctr maybe her only option. They are one of the few hospitals in town that have surgeons on staff that accept Medicaid for wls.

Some to consider are Dr. Macik and Dr. Dennis Smith.   All the people I know who had vsg with them are doing very well and did not have any complications.

Also there is a vast difference in the facilities they operate out of in comparison to Atl Medical if this is important to your mother.  Atl Med Ctr is a little older and may not be as aesthetically pleasing.  But I can be a little snooty when it comes to things like that :-).

Definitely have her go to as many seminars  as possible and actually make a visit to the bariatric wing of the hospital before she chooses and ask herself  "Is this what I want to see for 3 days after someone rips half my insides out?"

Also ask if the nurses/doctors are intern/students or not. This was important to me. Hospitals w/ student doctors and nurses may be more likely to have multiple poeple coming in to poke you.  I only had one poker :-).  

There was just Dr. Houston and the nurse assigned to me at centennial for 2    12 hr shifts each day,  The nurse did all the labs, emptied the drain, refreshed bed, helped me go potty, helped me walk... everything.   The only other lady who came in the room was the food lady.  I have heard wls buddies complain that the hospital they were in had 1 person drawing blood, another person cleaning the room, another person doing vitals.  I didn't realize how much difference it couild make in your comfort and rest until it was bought to my attention.

You are very blessed to have chosen Centennial. When mom see's how great they are, she may be using Dr. Houston too.   Nothing compares to the Centennial Experience!

p.s.  Ask the dietary lady at Centennial to give you the hook up on some extra Unjury when you get released. She stocked me up for the 1st month!  *wink*

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Fascinated One
on 4/9/10 6:12 am, edited 4/9/10 6:13 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks, LaShelle. My mom is retired and has Medicare. I think more places might accept Medicare. She had back surgery done at Atlanta Medical last year, and I thought the place was, well, less than desirable. But for some reason she thinks it's fine.

When I was going thru the ropes for the RNY last year she went to Emory with me several times. Unfortunately they don't do the sleeve.

She and I went together to Dr. Smith's seminar in January, but I don't think they've sorted out their insurance issues yet after they got bought out a few weeks ago. And I really don't like the way my stuff was handled there, so I'm not pushing them on her.

And I tried to talk her into Dr. Houston, but her health is so bad she insists on having it local, just in case. She has nearly every major co-morbid out there. 
START 318 | CW 179 | GW 165 | --- Updated Feb 3, 2012 (-139) 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Have you researched all of your options?
Duodenal Switch--Check it out at 
DSFacts.com and www.duodenalswitch.com/
LaShelle2
on 4/9/10 6:32 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Well if she like Atl Medical that's cool.  Bleach and ho****er can cover a multitude of sins.  But  if I'm gonna be laid up in the hospital, I figure it may as well be in style.  Just the diva in me I guess.

It's like if you want a steak and you could go anywhere to get it, would you go to Ruth's Cris or Sizzler. Both serve steaks, both will get you full, both may even taste ok, but if you had the choice it would be a no brainer right? 

I would think Dr. D has done more than if not close to more than any wls surgeons in GA, so he definitely has experience under his belt. It's all about what she wants for herself.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

drkangel101
on 4/21/10 2:00 pm - lawrenceville, GA
I agree it is always good to check into other surgeons before making the ultimate descion, I am using Dr.  Duncan, I have a lot of personal friends that have used him and  are doing great. I researched him  and I was even refered to him by another surgeon in Atlanta  who told me he was one of the best in the Bariatric field in Atlanta. I had some Insurance problems which slowed me up so I have to redo my EKG and blood work then I am being sent for approval. Good Luck with  everything.
Most Active