Kinda Frustrated

DeniseATL
on 3/15/10 11:36 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi All,

I am just kind of frustrated right now!!!!  I am on month 2 of my six month weight loss program and I have been looking at my insurance.  I called them today to see what the expectation was during 6 months and I was told there was not an expectation.  I do not trust it.  The dilemma is I am leaning towards DS and i have to be 50 BMI and if I lose any weight I wont be.  I feel like a loser for sabotaging myself to get the surgery and at the same time I would hate to sabotage my only to find out that i wont get approved later.  I have Cigna HRA State Health...can anyone help.  Anyone carry the same insurance or State Health?  I am drowning here please help 

Thanks in advance
brenda549
on 3/15/10 10:14 pm - Duluth, GA
I cannot help with Cigna.  Others on here might be able to chime in for that, but with State Health HRA United Health Care, there were no expectations of weight loss either.  What you are going to need to watch out for is your surgeon's expectations.  Some surgeons require a percentage of loss.  Other surgeons do not worry about any loss.  My surgeon just said do not gain any weight between my initial visit and my surgery date. 

I know the process can be frustrating.  Be patient and create a paper trail.  Get an email address for a Cigna representative and have them answer questions that do not violate HIPAA.  Save those emails in case of a concern later down the process line. 

Hope this helps and good luck!
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

LaShelle2
on 3/15/10 11:32 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Denise, I have Cigna HRA too and I had my DS last July. I had a borderline bmi too. It was 52-53. I admit I did self sabotage my pre-op diet. Cigna won't penalize you if you do not lose in the 6 months, so don't stress about it.

I did; however, really try to exercise and monitor what I ate after I got the insurance approval because I was worried about being fit for surgery, shrinking my liver, etc.  Once they approve you, you can lose as much as you want to.

Which DS surgeon are you considering?

Have you been to the Cigna website and printed off the pre-op requirements?  I suggest you do that and follow it to the letter, otherwise they will deny you.  As long as you do everything on the list, you should have no reason to worry. 

I will PM my ph# so you can call if you want to talk offline.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

DeniseATL
on 3/16/10 1:16 am - Atlanta, GA
Thank you so much for the help ladies.  I am looking at Dr. Smith right now yet i have not made any firm decisions.  I would like a laproscopic surgery if I can.  This is great information.  I am excited about my journey.

Looking foward to speaking with you Lashelle!
LaShelle2
on 3/16/10 1:26 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Well, do your research.  I had a good experience with the laproscopic. The pain was very manageable and I only had to use the pain meds a couple of days at bedtime once I got home. My scars are already fading and only 3 are super visable.  The one where the drain was is a little more noticeable, but it is only about an inch long. The other 2 are about 1/2 inch.  I think they will all fade pretty well over the next year or so.  I can't imagine having a long scar fom an open procedure. But, everybody has different levels of vanity...  I already had a scar from a c-section, and I didn't want to add any more streets to the roadmap :-)

Dr. Smith is supposed to be getting in network with our insurance, but that's the same story they told me last year when I ws trying for my DS, so have a back up plan just in case.  He would have been my top choise for a local surgeon. 

ps.
While you're doing pre-op stuff do some extensive research on bougie size and common channel legnth. This will make a big difference in how your DS functions.  That is just as important as choosing a good surgeon imo and most pre-ops don't even have a clue what it is.  A good surgeon will be willing to work with you to find a good bougie/cc combo that will work for you. 

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

DeniseATL
on 3/16/10 1:34 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the info.  I have been doing lots of insurance reseach since last year.  I would have had this 6 month period done... but i had Kaiser until Dec.  I know the insurance componet well.  I am still researching the actual surgery and things of that nature.  Thanks for the advice
Most Active