Finding a Surgeon who Performs the DS

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/10 10:21 am - Hawkinsville, GA

Hello, does anybody know of a surgeon who performs the DS in GA?  Please and thanks in advance.

sassyjonz
on 3/15/10 10:26 am - Atlanta, GA

I'm not sure where Hawkinsville is but there is a list of vetted surgeons on DSFacts.com so check there.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/10 10:32 am, edited 3/15/10 10:33 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Hey Lia,
We are central GA south of Warner Robins and Macon.  I am considering the DS but I can't seem to find anybody who does it.  I am not sure about my surgeon and I won't see him again for about 3 mths.  I chose him...among other things...because we will be transferring back to north GA (Rome).  I am currently doing the six month thing with the insurance company.  I will check DSFacts in a minute.
Thank you,
jan
LaShelle2
on 3/15/10 11:47 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Try contacting Dr. Dennis Smith in Marrietta. Also, if you will be in Rome, would you consider driving out of state? 

I had my DS with Dr. Hough Houston in Nashville. Best decision I have made in my life!  He will allow you to do all your pre-op testing in GA, and just have the results faxed. You should only have a couple of trips up there pre-op for the surgery consult, and the hospital pre-admission visit.

Dr. David Voellinger is close by in Charlotte too, but their paperwork process is s little slow, and with Dr. Voellinger you will have to do ALL your pre-op testing in his office with his people NO EXCEPTIONS. This may not be as convenient. Though, they do work hard to try to bundle as many pre-op test appts into 1 visit as possible.

Dr. Ranjan Sudan is in Raleigh Durahm a few more hours away, and I don't know much about him, but don't recall any complaints. Normally in the DS commuinty if a surgeon has issues he's called out pretty quickly, so if there were something,  it would have been posted.

All 3 are good surgeons, and I would trust my DS to any of them. 

Just make sure you do your research on whoever you choose. All surgeons are not created equal, and there are definitely some red flag DS surgeons out here.

Don't be afraid to go out of state for this. Many DS'ers have to travel because there are not many DS surgeons around.  It takes more skill and the surgeons have to do more extensive training, and many of them don't.  Also insurance doesn't cover it on a lot of plans because it is so expensive.  My DS bill was $87,000 not including all the pre-op visits and pre-op testing!!!

It is worth the drive out of state to live the DS life!

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 3:15 am, edited 3/17/10 3:16 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Thank you, LaShelle.  I am not opposed to driving.  As determined as I am I would walk there =).  I will let you know....
jan
LaShelle2
on 3/17/10 4:06 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Depending on how far into Rome you will be living, Nashville is really only 2-3 hours drive. You'd be much closer to Dr. Houston then me. I'd be a little jeajous of you for being closer.   Call his office and talk to Holly, his ofc manager and she'll give you the 411. Also if you want Dr. H's e-mail addr I can PM that to you. He is super quick responding to e-mails because it goes to his cell and he keeps it on him all the time.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

lerkhart
on 3/16/10 6:46 am
Jan,
Dr. Scott does not do the DS unless this has changed in the last month.  At his seminar he advised he would refer you to someone if that is what you want to have.
He did my RNY and was wonderful!
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 3/17/10 3:19 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Hey Linda!  Glad to see someone affiliated with Dr. Scott.  Seems everybody loves him.  I just heard back from Ginger today about DS and she said he did not do it unless the patient was 600 lbs or more because of the malabsorption issues...hummmmm.  Thanks for the info.  Holla back when you feel like it!
jan
lerkhart
on 3/17/10 10:06 am
Wow, I didn't know he ever did it.  I was very happy with him and my RNY.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/10 8:01 am - Hawkinsville, GA
Nooo, I think you are right. I don't think he actually does it either.  I think they refer you. 
Most Active