WAY OT! Savannah question/info

lk1970
on 3/12/10 3:12 am
Hello!

I'm getting married May 1st and we are thinking about going to Savannah the following week for a few days. If anyone has any tips or great places to see or go or stay I'd really really appreciate it!

Thanks for your time!

Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

LaShelle2
on 3/12/10 5:07 am, edited 3/12/10 5:13 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Savannah is one of my fave weekend getaway cities. I usually get down there 2-3 times a year.  Here are some of my fave places:

Forsyth Park : has a beautiful fountain that you see in a lot of Savannah pics. Great place for a stroll, picnic, or a photo op 

Horse Drawn Carriage: These are found throughout the historic district and can be a nice romantic thing to do, as well as ghost tours, history tours, etc..

FREE Trolley:  You know I am the queen of cheap, so leave it to me to find FREE transportation!
the CAT shuttle is FREE and it takes you all around the historic district. If you are on a budget you can sit back, relax, and see all the historic sites for FREE. Now, you won't get a narrated tour, but it is FREE.  It will drop you at all the popular spots including the parks and famous River Street.  HINT: park at the Kroger fr free and ride the trolley down to River Street and you won't have to pay to park. The downside is the trolley stops running early, so you will want to take advantage of it for daytime site-seeing.
www.catchacat.org - FREE!   print a map here and check out the route
Green Shuttle
(912) 233-5767
they are clean and air conditioned and we have never had a bad experience riding. We always felt safe and welcome.  

Tybee Island:  This is the closest beach to us. It's not beautiful white sand or crystal clear waters, but it is a beach.  There are shops, hotels, etc and a lighthouse you can tour.  There is only one big hotel, the rest are pretty small, or condo rentals.  I prefer to stay in Savannah in the Historic district or on the Gateway right at I-95 to be close to the action.  But, just to say you got your feet in the ocean, it is definitely worth a day trip.

On the way stop and visit Fort Pulaski which was used in the Civil War.  If you are into fishing, there is a great spot at the bridge, also some good crabbing spots at the marinas down in that area.

Keller's Flea Market:  This is actually just north of Savannah and they are only open weekends.  They have  a mix of the typical flea market import knock off crap and some really god home grown "junk". I am more in favor of the local vendors that set up do display their re-sale wares. You can get anything from a new puppy, a chicken, oranges,  a fake Prada purse, pocket knives, art, socks, expired toothpaste, antique furniture, nick knacks.  People just show up and pay $5 for a booth and you never know who will be selling what.  I always come away with a load of stuff I absolutely can't live without that I didn't even know I needed when I woke up that day.  If you go, visit the lemonade lady. it is sooo dang good. Definitely worth  the extra calories imo.
www.lovefleas.com 

Dolphin Tours:  There are a ton of companies that do the tours off the coast of Tybee. If you go for a beach day, try a sunset dolphin watch cruise on the way back to town. You should find coupons in your hotel lobby with all the brochures. We used Captain Mike and it's been several years, so I don't know if he is still in business, but I remember his rates being the lowest.  

River Street:
You can't go to Savannah without strolling down River Street.  this is a must stop for souvenirs and pralines, and soaking in the crowd.  They don't have any open container restriction in this area, so grab a drink and stroll along with your sweetie.  Most of the restaurants and bars have great happy hour specials, so it would be wise to have dinner and drinks between 3pm-6ish to get the best deals.   Also all the candy stores let you sample :-) I love Savannah Candy Company best.

The streets are cobble stone, so don't wear heels or you'll be miserable.  The parking lot right on the river front is way too expensive imo. Park on the main street at the top of the hill and walk down (will make sense when you get there).   And, now that you're SKINNY!!! It won't be a burden!!!

Riverboat Cruise:
They have a Riverboat cruise you can catch from River street.  They have dining cruises $50ish and site-seeing $20ish.  I haven't done this personally, but I was there for a conference for work and some co-workers went and said it was nice (put it on their expense acct, so guess that explains the deficit w/ the State of GA :-) .    If you have never been on a cruise before like Carnival or Royal Caribbean, this may be worth splurging even if you can't fit in $50 of food. Just think of it as paying for the experience and the ride and the romance.  You're worth it right?  Plus you should find coupons either on the website or in those hotel lobby brochures. 
www.savannah-riverboat.com

OK NOW FOR THE IMPORTANT STUFF  FOOD!!!

There is no shortage of great places to eat in Savannah.  Here are some popular places:

1. Lady and Sons- Paula Deans place. Buffet or order off the menu. Make  a reservation! We didn't and stood in line over an hour just for them to tell us they were full for the entire day and this was 3:00 on a Sunday.  www.ladyandsons.com

2. Mrs Wilkes Dining Room- World famous for authentic southern favorites. You are seated family style with other people and the food is serve family style and you just pass the dish to your dining partners. They refill as much as you can hold.  I have her cookbook btw and it is great

www.mrswilkes.com

3. Savannah Candy Kitchen www.savannahcandy.com  the best freshest pralines and fudge. Just yummy!!!

4. Hamilton Turner Inn- They have an authentic high tea like they serve in England. Very elegant and refined.  The hotel is nice too if it in the budget.  www.hamilton-turnerinn.com

5. Uncle Bubbas Oyster House  www.unclebubbas.com   Great seafood on the way to Tybee island.

6. The Sugar Shack- we eat here every day when we stay on Tybee. It is one of those hole in the wall not miss places. Great prices, great portions, great food!  www.tybeesugarshack.com

7. The Breakfast Club
- on Tybee Island. I have never eaten here because honestly every time we've been there is a line wrapped around the building and my mom has to eat as soon as she wakes up, and she can't stand to wait that long, but if they have that many customers it must be good?www.tybeeisland.com/dining/brclub

8. Dang girl I almost forgot!!! Western Steer Family Steakhouse!!!

Western Steer Family Steakhouse
Highway 121 S
Metter, GA 30439

(912) 685-4110

This is another out of the way local spot. It is in Metter about an hour north of Savannah on the way home.  We NEVER come home without stopping here. I skip breakfast the last day to save room for Western Steer!  "Everything's Better In Metter, GA" and  this place is no exception.  It is a choice of ordering on the menu or buffet style. We always have had the buffet. it has the Ryan's, Golden Corral set-up, but the food is more homemade tasting.  It is right off the interstate, and you can see it from the highway.  It is right beside the Metter Welcome center where you should stop for some great pics by the lake. After you eat sit on the swings at the Welcome Center and relax a few minutes before getting back on the road. Sneak a roll from dinner to feed the ducks.  

Grab a seat along the far wall and have a beautiful view of the lake while you dine.  it is about $9-10 pp and so worth it!  I am gonna want my pre-op tummy back when I go there again.  They have chicken n dressing like my grandma and that banana puddin is slamming!  And Lord the ROLLS must be prayed over cause they are HEAVENLY!!! 

There is no website cause it is a  locally owned place, but definitely put the addr in the GPS and try it on the way home.

This really should have been #1 on my list.  I adore this place!  There is absolutely nothing else in Metter. The nearest Wal-mart is about 30 min away. The only grocery is an old Piggly Wiggly. But this little Gem is beckoning unsuspecting foodies right off the highway.  You will be addicted at 1st bite.

Where to stay?  It's up to you? Do you want to wake up to an ocean view? If so try Tybee Island?  Do you plan on being up late bar hopping and site seeing? If so go with the historic district, so you won't have to worry about parking and driving tipsy.  Do you want to stay away from the sites and stay on a budget? If so try the gateway I-95 area I have never seen a run down hotel in this area and the prices are a lot lower than Tybee or River street, but you'll have to drive 15-20 minutes to get to anything other than the outlet mall.

Most all the hotels in Historic or I-95 area are nice.  On Abercorn Street the prices are lowest, but you need to be careful because they do have a few bad ones. Just check it out on trip advisor 1st before you book.   Abercorn is not a bad area.  I'm not trying to give that impression. We have stayed on Abercorn a few times in decent hotels, but they have old hotels mixed in with the new ones, so do your research 1st. Abercorn is in the retail area too, so there is more fast food, shopping malls, etc. in that area.

If you are wanting to save $$$ and want a really nice hotel book on Priceline.  1st go to www.betterbidding.com and put Savannah in the search and you should get a pretty good idea of what to bid and which hotel they will give you in that area. I would definitely go with Priceline for Historic District. You will save at least 50% or more in that area. 

I hope some of my tips help.    Oops, and I almost forgot. 

CONGRATS ON THE WEDDING!

Save me a piece of cake!  And post some pics when you get back!

•  

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

LaShelle2
on 3/12/10 5:21 am, edited 3/12/10 5:21 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey, I just noticed you are a switch sister!!!  Cheers!   You know we are a rare find.

I sent a friend invite. Let's keep in touch. 

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

lk1970
on 3/12/10 7:22 am
OMG girl!!! What an awesome amount of information!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't thank you enough!!!!! You are a wonderful switch sister!

SO, what about the ghosts???

Thank you again honey!!

Lisa

Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning, the devil says "oh crap! she's up!

LaShelle2
on 3/13/10 2:53 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
The ghost tours are guided tours around the historic district, usually either walking or sometimes in a horse drawn carriage or trolley. They take you by historic homes and cemeteies and tell you stories of historic people who died there and the sightings of their ghosts. It is a pretty popular toursit thing, but I am not into ghosts, so I never really did it.  There is a lot of Civil War history in Savannah and there are a lot of historic homes there with beautiful architecture.

BTW I checked betterbidding.com and the Marriott Riverfront is going for $89-99 when you name your own price.  You should definitely check better bidding and consider trying to snag a good deal in the historic district on Priceline or Hotwire.

If I were a 1st time Savannah visitor and this is going to be your only trip, I would suggest splurging and staying in that area.  It would be a lot more romantic, since this is part of your honeymoon.
brenda549
on 3/12/10 7:27 am - Duluth, GA
I am from Savannah (born and lived there for 28 years) and worked in the hotel business for the 7 of those years.  I still have family there and we visit several times a year.   You may want to spend the extra money and stay in the historic district.  May is part of prom season and there will be tons of teens and partying going on at the beach and at I95 and 204 (Gateway).  Also, some of the hotels at I95 and 204 are not so great.  You really need to be careful and research them before booking.  Also Gateway is about 15 miles or more from the historic district where all the good stuff LaShelle pointed out is located.   When my husband and I are looking for comfort AND luxury we like the Courtyard Marriott on Liberty Street.  The Hampton in Historic is really nice, too.  The Days Inn Historic District used to be shady, but I hear they are really nice now.  Avoid the Best Western on Bay Street.  They have been known to advertise "riverfront"  tricking people into thinking they are "riverview" which they are not.  The only view you have from the Best Western is the power company! 

LaShelle listed the greatest of the greats in her list.  I will add Lady and Sons is delicious!  We love Paula, but  Mrs. Wilkes has always been a favorite of Savannahians. 

Also:

The Olde Pink House - I suggested this restaurant to a regular guest in the hotel I was working in about 15 years ago.  He loved it so much each time he came to Savannah he stayed in my hotel and would bring me a plate of scallops and shrimp linguine from there! 

Fannie's on the Beach - They have the BESTEST (yes, I said bestest) chicken gouda pizza ever!!!!  They usually have a band on the weekends.  You can eat, walk the beach, and then come back and listen to the band.  Really cool!  One of my favorite spots in Savannah.  If you go to Tybee Island after 8pm, I don't think you have to feed the meters at the beach parking lot.   There may also be some entertainment going on in the Pavilion which connects to the boardwalk on the beach. 

Savannah Wildlife Refuge If you or your husband are into wildlife, this is a drive through a National Park.  As a child we did this daily!  TONS of alligators, lots of birds, turtles, fish, etc.  Basically you are driving through their natural habitat.  It is NOT a drive through petting zoo.  You drive through and look.  Many people can be seen fishing, but that should be it.  It was an old rice plantation.  In May it is pretty warm and you should see many of the animals that live in there.  It is truly a zen place to visit. 

If you prefer the guided tours, most hotels have information on a ton of the guided tours of Savannah and usually have a discounted rate.  Don't book any of those online unless you are going directly through the tour company. 

My cousin's son runs one of the riverboat cruises off of River Street.  My mother, who has lived there her entire life, still likes to take the riverboat cruises every few months. 

One thing I always said to my guests when visiting Savannah.  It is a beautiful place to visit.  However, it does have its shady areas.   If you feel uncomfortable somewhere, leave.  Use your best judgement. 

Hope this helps!
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

lk1970
on 3/12/10 7:38 am
Brenda... My gosh the generosity of the people on OH is just amazing!!

Thank you SO much for all your suggestions!! We are from the north... the only time I've been south is to Florida or Jamaica. I take that back, I think I had a layover in your airport on my way to Vegas. We are hoping the city is beautiful and that we get a taste of that southern hospitality!
I'm getting excited to hear all these great details!
Thanks again!!!!

Lisa

LaShelle2
on 3/13/10 2:55 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Do you know if the swinging Medallions are playing at the Pavillion this year? We love their show?

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

brenda549
on 3/14/10 8:21 am - Duluth, GA
I do not know if they are or not.  The next time I talk to my mom I will ask her.  She LOVES to go listen to them! 
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

renee K.
on 3/24/10 6:48 am - Augusta, GA
Spend a day at Tybee Island for sure!  And if the Swinging Medallions are there-DONT MISS IT, they put on a awesome show.  River Street is also a must, just amble along the street, listen to the sounds coming from the clubs, shops etc.  its my all time fave place to go!  very laid back!!!!!!!

Most Active