I'm Baaaack!!!

sassyjonz
on 2/23/10 8:04 am - Atlanta, GA
I am so happy to post an update to you all today.

Let's dispense with the gratitude.

Thank you to Lacey for being a great angel and keeping everyone updated and giving me lots of encouragement when I was feeling like...well...****

Thank you to all of you on this board and the lightweights board and Georgia board for your kind wishes, prayers and swinging critters.  I truly believe all your good vibes made a huge difference.

So, most of you know from Lacey's updates that after my surgery last Wednesday, I had a setback.

On Friday evening, my drain kept filling up with blood and had to be emptied like every hour. 
Now you must know that my evening nurse did not notify my surgeon of this until very late in the night.  So around midnight Dr. Maynard ordered a 1 unit blood transfusion. 

Yes, I was feeling bad and lacked much energy and you know they keep hounding you to get up and walk and I just was not feeling up to it.  I only walked about 3 laps around the ward that whole day.

The next thing I know, they wake me up at 7am to take me into surgery.  One of the surgical residents explains as they are wheeling me out of the room that Dr. Maynard wants to do an exploratory surgery to see what is causing the bleeding. Dr. Maynard talked to me almost the whole time before they put me under to put my mind at ease.  I wasn't worried. 

Fast forward to hours later after coming out of anesthesia fog and the resident explains that they did not find any problems with the surgery itself.  My staple line was fine and anastemosis (is that right?) were all fine.  They removed several blood clots, and closed me up.

On Sunday, my blood count was better but still low so they infused another unit of blood.  That helped tremendously to make me feel better and able to get up and move more.

Dr. Maynard came to see me every day and he explained to me on Sunday that the bleeding was most likely caused by my PRE-EXISTING endomitriosis in combination with the blood thinners they injected to keep me from getting clots.  It also did not help that I took tons of NSAIDS prior to surgery and had only stopped less than a week before.

So PRE-OPs-My DS procedure went perfectly! But a pre-existing condition was the culprit in this case.  It was never a dire situation although I will admit, I was feeling as bad as I think anybody could feel after this surgery.

So lesson to any of you women who have endometriosis and for those of you who don't know what that is and want an accurate explanation please google cause I'm just gonna give a general description. Endometriosis is a condition where the lining of the uterus starts growing outside the uterus.  It can be quite painful, hence the NSAIDS.  It is also most active during your menstrual cycle, which I luckily had just finished the Friday before my surgery.

However, had I known about this risk, I might have moved my surgery up a couple of weeks so my endo would not have been as active.  Would that have prevented the problem? Who knows.  Would another surgeon have known about this and been able to take precautions?  I don't know.

But if you have Endo or some other disorder with some internal bleeding or take a lot of NSAIDS (which can cause internal bleeding), it is something to keep in mind and discuss with your surgeon.

I know there are few people who are not fans of Dr. Maynard and took the opportunity of my setback to say "aha, told you so". but I in no way blame my surgeon for this.  If anything, he acted quickly once he was notified to resolve the problem and I was monitored very closely.

I will ALWAYS respect other people's opinions.  And LaShelle, no hard feelings.  I understand that you are very passionate about the DS.   But your choice of surgeon is your choice of surgeon. However, to vilify someone for sins of the past lacks compassion and suggests that you have never made a stupid mistake in your youth or I did not do my homework which could not be further from the truth.  What was important to me, and I think, should be important to anyone, are a DS surgeons patients, mortality rate and complication rate.  I spoke to his patients, attended his support group.  In fact, my first support group meeting was a patient panel and I was almost the only one asking questions...and believe me, I asked a lot.  Denise can testify to that.

I also questioned at length one of his 3 year out patients right in his office lobby before my first consult.  These people are fine!  They are thriving!  They lost the weight and they love Dr. Maynard!  That was good enough for me.

I happen to believe that people can make a mistake in medical school or college or law school or wherever and emerge years later as esteemed experts in their fields.  I mean really, who hasn't done stupid things in their youth?  Who is perfect?  It's called learning people...really!

So all that to say PRE-OPs that you should not be alarmed by my "setback" although, I am sure something similar could happen to anyone.

You SHOULD do your homework and understand and discuss with your surgeon how your co-morbids and other pre-existing medical conditions could possibly effect your surgery and recovery.

DON'T get freaked out by people's extreme opinions. DON'T PANIC...just read, read, read and research, research, research.

SO much of this is in your mind.  Not only how you will get through surgery but how you will get through life as a DSer.

I was humbled by this surgery because I believed that because I am in pretty good shape and fairly healthy that I would bounce back fast.  I was very wrong.  It took me 5 days to feel half human and today I feel SOOOOOO much better than yesterday and Sunday, that I absolutely know, I WILL get exponentially better every day.

Through all of this, I never doubted any of my decisions.  My mind and resolve are still strong and I am proud to be a new member of the DS family and the Loser's bench.

Thanks for reading all of this.  I really hope this helps someone who is worried about setbacks or complications.

Lia

Starting weight & height: 265/5' 8.5; Goal weight: 160; Current weight: 155

LaShelle2
on 2/23/10 11:06 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hey Switch Sister. Glad to see you made it out ok, and are doing better.  We were worried about you and were praying for you.  (I have wittnesses).  

Sorry if you feel like I was attacking you or your judgement, that's not the case.  I do still have some concerns about Dr. M.   I think he's the worst DS surgeon in the area. You obviously think he's the best or you wouldn't have let him operate on you.  Neither of us are probably 100% right, but that's why everybody is entitled to their opinion. 

I am happy.  You are happy. Let go, and let God and let's move on to the next OH drama...

I am just sincerely happy  you are ok, and I am always glad to welcome a Switch Sister into the club whatever the cir****tances that got you here. I think you are a good person, and I can tell from your prev posts you are a kind, mature, intelligent,  and diplomatic lady, so no love lost.   Hopefully we can meet each other one day and share DS stories. 

As I stated in the PM I sent you pre-op, I will be here to support you regardless of who you used for your surgeon.  And I don't hold the cyber drama that erupted while you were laid up in the hospital suffering against you in any way.   (other people however have been permenantly added to my s+++t list but I think they know who they are)

At least if nothing else good comes out of it, maybe it will cause a pre-op to pause and dig a little deeper into their surgeon's reputation and into the procedre they are having.

AND DO NOT TAKE NSAIDS PRIOR TO ANY SURGERY pre-ops!!!!!!!  Didn't Dr. M tell you that?  All that fine print crap they give you pre-op really is important.

p.s.      Remember to walk, sip, and rest.   There is a 10 piece wings, a couple of fries and a slice of cheesecake waiting for you on the other side of this suffering. It is SOOOOO worth it. You will learn to LOVE your DS.          I promise!

Happy Healing,
LaShelle

rose

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

sassyjonz
on 2/24/10 5:38 am - Atlanta, GA
It's all good LaShelle.  Bygones.

I still love your story and your posts and hope to be joining in on one of these famous meet n greets you keep organizing in ATL!

I truly appreciate your good wishes and those of others as well.

I am soooo not about drama.  I can't be bothered.  I have too much living to do!!!

I'm gonna come up with one of these clever signatures that everyone has and be a regular card carrying DS Switch Sister!!!

Lia

Stacey W.
on 2/28/10 6:33 am
Sassy,

I am so glad to hear that you are home and doing well.  I had endometriosis and later had to have a hysterectomy.  As of the result, my RNY lasted over 4 hours. Once again glad you are home and on the road to recovery. 
sassyjonz
on 2/28/10 7:07 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks Stacey!

CPGinGA
on 3/1/10 9:11 pm - Marietta, GA
Glad you are feeling better ... you are an inspiration to many, so keep us updated on your progress!

-Corey
CallMeMsE
on 3/1/10 9:29 pm - Duluth, GA
Lia..I'm glad you're back and doing well...

Erica
Most Active