Next step

CPGinGA
on 2/22/10 7:31 pm, edited 2/22/10 7:33 pm - Marietta, GA
Hi my friends!Being a school teacher, I tell my students that if they ever have questions, they should be sure to always ask, So on this premise, I have some questions for you all.I met with the psychiatrist and had my first of 6 regular doctor visits, and next one is scheduled in March. Stacey and I are meeting with Dr. Macik in two weeks and she has a lot of questions she would like to ask him (she works in the medical field so she knows a lot more then the average bear!) 1. What is the difference between the regular surgery and lapriscopic surgery? Is it similar to that of the great debate of the RNY vs DS? We are still torn about which procedure to do, so we will talk with him and ask him why he suggests the RNY and doesn't do the DS. 2. The fact that I haven't chosen a doctor yet for sure, does that effect my surgery date?3. With males, does it positively or negatively effect the outcome of intimate situations?I know with any kind of surgery, there are risks - I've been keeping up with Lia's situation and honestly, it does make me think. However, it doesn't turn me off at all.There are more questions, but I don't want to bombard you all this early in the morning! Have a great day!Thanks for all your support!-Corey
Don 1962
on 2/22/10 10:25 pm
Corey,

What is the difference between the regular surgery and lapriscopic surgery?

Regular surgery, or called open, is when they cut you open to do the operation.  Laparoscopic is when they go in through the stomach using the scopes etc.

Is it similar to that of the great debate of the RNY vs DS? We are still torn about which procedure to do, so we will talk with him and ask him why he suggests the RNY and doesn't do the DS.

That is a ******' match we ain't going to get into.  RNY and DS are two different surgery types.  RNY is more restrictive and has a malabsortion factor.  The DS does too but not as restrictive.

Some docs don't do the DS because alot of the insurance companies don't cover it.  It is a very invasive surgery in which part of your stomach is removed creating a sleeve the next step is rerouting your intestines.  See dsfacts.com for further detail.

With males, does it positively or negatively effect the outcome of intimate situations?

If you're trying to politely ask if your junk is going to get any bigger - it will appear that way!  As you loose weight the fat above your junk gets smaller as well.  This exposes more of your junk.  Being a male I will tell you from experience - HELL YEAH it gets better!

Being scared pre-op is normal.  You can research, research, research till the cows come home and some butt wipe will tell you a story about their mama's third cousin's best friend's aunt's mother that had complications and that will rattle you.  Any surgery has its risk but the risk is well worth the benefits regardless of surgery type.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

CPGinGA
on 2/22/10 10:31 pm - Marietta, GA
OMG - I nearly spit out my drink after your comment about the junk and how it gets better. I really didn't know how to put the question but you've answered it well. Thank you my friend!

I am doing the research, trust me. I know there are some risks, but I will surely die if I don't change. I am willing to take this chance.

-Corey
LaShelle2
on 2/23/10 4:01 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Laproscopic surgery is enerally much safer, less risk of infection, less scarring, quicker and less painful recovery.   The surgeon's that perform laproscopic surgery have to do extra training, so they are often better and more experienced...

As far as intimacy, I am not a man, but yes it has been MUCH better for me.  I imagine the increased stamina, stregnth, and mobility would make sex more enjoyable for men or women post-op.

As for being concerned from hearing Lia's story, don't let it scare you away. Just do your research and pick a good, qualified surgeon, with a good track record and you'll be fine.   There is always a 1 out of a 100 chance something bad will happen during/after wls, but just do all you can to make sure you're one of the 99 that have a good experience.

The fact that you haven't chosen a doctor shouldn't affect your date  to get insurance approval, but many wls surgeons do have their own set of pre-op requirements that may be in addition to insurance requirements.   Also, keep in mind it will take your surgeon some time to get your paperwork ready to be faxed to insurance, so the sooner you pick someone and develop a relationship with him/her and her staff the better.

If you and your wife don't have plans, come out to South Beach with us Saturday,  There should be some shbp members and DS and rny patients there for you to speak with about all your options.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Most Active