Thank you everyone

CPGinGA
on 2/19/10 2:21 am - Marietta, GA
I just want to say thank you to all that have welcomed me with open arms. I feel like this is where I belong and have deleted the many other websites I've bookmarked. Although I am just starting the process (got my psychiatrist visit done last weekend and my 1st of 6 consecutive doctor visits yesterday), I hope that I can be of some sort of help to you all.

My wife and I will be discussing the DS vs RNY this weekend and make a decision. I know that we made an appointment in two weeks to revisit Dr. Macik, whom I really like. One of my biggest issues is only a few Doctors are on my approved insurance list that do the DS. 84% compared to 98% is still a darn good chance I can get rid of my type 2 diabetes. The funny thing is that the more I read about the DS, the more I like it. The more I read about the RNY, the more I like it. Decisions, decisions, decisions.

-Corey

LaShelle2
on 2/19/10 4:51 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Corey you are so welcome. We are hre for you whenever you need us. I think whatever surgery you choose, you'll be just fine.   I am just glad you are doing plenty of research, so you know what you're getting into.

Let me know if I can help with anything.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

AndreaH09
on 2/19/10 9:30 am, edited 2/19/10 9:32 am
It is always good to meet new georgians on here that we have something in common with. 

Please update your profile with info and pics so we can learn more about you.

I know you have shbp.  Do you mind telling me who your uhc bariatric nurse is?  I have uhc hra and my nurse is Jackie Janus.  She is telling me that I have to have a total of 7 visits for dietary monitoring (initial visit plus six).  My surgeon's office said they had never worked with this particular uhc nurse before and my surgeon's office said they understood six dietary visits only.  Just wondering what you have run into...

I do not have any desire to switch surgery centers, but must say that my surgery center does not even discuss DS.  Lap band, RNY and sleeve are the ones that are discussed.  Does shbp uhc hra cover DS?  Just wondering....

Glad you are participating in this foum.  Looks like you and I are on the same track on the calendar, so I look forward to sharing our journies!

Andrea
CPGinGA
on 2/19/10 9:35 am - Marietta, GA
Hi Andrea,

Yes - I dealt with Jackie once, and honestly, she did NOT impress me at all. She sent me over to some Seymour guy from the benefits department and he was as uselesss as a pencil. I have called him 6 times this week with questions and he has not returned one. I will be calling on Monday to complain and ask for someone else that can answer my questions.

I was told 7 as well which Dr. Macik didn't understand neither. I think she is just an idiot. Who are you looking to do your surgery?

I was able to get my psychiatric eval done last Saturday and my first Doctor visit on Thursday. I am just going to continue on, I suppose.

Where are you? I live in Marietta.

-Corey
brenda549
on 2/20/10 12:37 am - Duluth, GA
Things may have changed since 2009 is over, but last year, I only needed to see my doc for dietary visits 6 times.  I specifically asked this question, wanting to know if the first visit didn't count since it was establishing weight.  I saw my doc once a month May - Oct.

My UHC bariatric nurse coordinator was Susan.  She was fabulous!  If there were any way for you to be reassigned to her I would do it.  Her extension is 76709.  If I ever had any questions she answered them in a timely manner (within 24 hours).  She also called me if she didn't hear from me for a while. 

From what I hear, they have been slammed this year with new enrollees that switched over.  It may be a bad time of year for them and us teachers.  Many of the teachers are getting through the works to have surgery over the summer. 

HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

LaShelle2
on 2/19/10 10:00 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
YES shbp cpvers DS.  shbp Cigna covered mine. Izzy and Curvybarie's DS was covered with shbp uhc.   Your bmi needs to be 50+ for shbp to cover the DS.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

AndreaH09
on 2/20/10 8:47 am
Corey,

I live in Cleveland, just north of Gainesville.  My surgeon is Robert Richards at Obesity Solutions in Gainesville.  I have been to my education class, psych test, psych eval, surgeon consult and initial weigh in and one of six dietary visits.  I have been attending support groups too.  I enjoy the support groups, but the dietary visits for me are just "jumping through hoops" for insurance!  I have hypertension but I don't have diabetes and am just barely over 40 bmi, so I can't afford to lose any weight at this point. 

My surgeon's office said they were used to dealing with Susan at shbp.  I have heard good things about her.  I have called Jackie Janus several times with questions and she always calls me right back.  I don't have a problem with her........I am just disappointed that I have to have seven total visits, rather than 6.  

Andrea

Most Active