Are we on diets...

curiouscat7
on 2/17/10 9:59 pm

Went to a support group meeting last nite and the leader was telling us how we are on "diets" for the rest of our life..... Well, I certainly know how all my "diets" turned out for 20 yrs before wls....

Post op RNY I think of this as a tool where I now have to make a permanent lifestyle change.... yes I need to drink water,take vitamins,get my protein.... yes follow a plan but I don't consider it dieting>>>

Do you? and I certainly think it made pre ops feel really bad since they know "dieting" has failed them... So what do you think? Is it just semantics?

CC

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
LaShelle2
on 2/17/10 10:41 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Well CC I guess it depends on a few things. 1st, the type of surgery you have. With my DS I know I'm only restricted by the amount of food I fit into my new, smaller tummy. I just have to be mindful that I eat enough quality protein. Everything else is free will.   I  don't see how it would be possible for me to regain weight at the rate I'm still losing. So, I don't stress about it. I eat what I want in moderation, and live life abundantly.

With other wls types, you have to be realistic with yourself that if you overdo calories, carbs, etc,  you'll likely have regain in your future, especially if you have a non-malabsorbtive procedure. So, I guess some may consider that a diet.

2nd thing to cosider is what you are considering a diet.  I guess if you consider counting or measuring what you consume a diet, we are all on a diet.   Cause eventhough I don'****ch calories, carbs, fat, I still monitor protein eventhough it comes so naturally now it's not a concious effort. I just eat some protein each meal 4x a day.

You do bring up a good point that all pre-ops should consider.  What are your pre-op diet habits, what are you wiling to give up? What can you live without? How compliant are you?  There are wls surgeries out there that you can cheat around and self sabatoge and halt weight loss or even gain more than you started with!  Such as having a band and gorging on sweets, ice cream, cheesecake, chips, etc.

If you are honest with yourself and your surgeon you should be able to make an educated decision. I knew I LOVE food, and I didn't want to be restricted from anything and I wanted to be able to sit down with a group of friends and eat like a normal person.  I knew I would cheat around a band. I knew I didn't want to give up sweets forever and watch calories witrh the rny. That may not appeal to others.  But I am lovin the DS life.

So diet, no diet, lifstyle change,  working your tool, whatever you call it..  as long as you're happy with it who cares.  Just work whatever you have to the best of your ability.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Don 1962
on 2/17/10 11:27 pm

You heard the word "diet" and began having flashbacks.  

RNY's have to make the most extreme changes in our eating habits to have success with our tools due to the restriction and malabsorbtion.  We, and the banders to a certain extent, use our tools to help recondition our minds in regards to how we should be eating.  Unlike the sleevers and DS'ers *****condition their innards to match their minds. 

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

curiouscat7
on 2/18/10 12:07 am
Yes, the diet brought up the fact "I failed"... and worse yet the pre op and folks looking into the surgery heard this and though.... Diet... I failed... so why am is going to be different this time. I saw their pain and got upset.

There were folks there upwards of 400 pnds who were hurting .... and it just pissed me off.

For me it's like this have given me the chance to now succeed. Down 118 pnds...it's easier to excercise... and I don't mind it. It's more motivating now for me to stick to my plan and eat healthy when my butt is in  a size 12 jeans. 

CC
LaShelle2
on 2/18/10 12:37 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Did you speak up and share your opinion?  

I guess in a way the speaker was just giving a reality ckeck, letting everybody know that eventhough the wls is a tool, you still have to put in some work to make the tool effective. 

Maybe it was the way she said it that pinched a nerve.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

curiouscat7
on 2/18/10 4:01 am
Yes I did.... she said it was a matter of semantics but I could see those pre op slipping away... yes a reality check but not say we''re on a "diet" ... and I came home in a pissy mood... poor hubby

CC
Don 1962
on 2/18/10 12:46 am
Could see why.

Changing gears.  Missed seeing y'all last week.  I got back to TX yesterday.  Kid Norma that we gave each other up for Lent.  Easter is ten - eleven days before "Tax season" ends so close enough.  Between the snow and most of her house being repainted I did not get out that much at all.  Granted we spent a couple nights at the Holiday Inn on GA 20 beside Loews because of the fumes.  I could not even bring myself to tie on my walking shoes and do a trip through the neighborhood or go to the park on Sharon Road.

Never, and I mean NEVER, trust a fart!! 

Most Active