Getting surgery covered

Donna H.
on 2/9/10 11:51 am - Douglasville, GA
Divorce is almost final and I will have no health insurance......bcbs will not cover surgery currently it is listed as an excluded item.....single mom with 5 kids....3 are special needs......no way I can pay out of pocket.....work from home part time to care for my daughter (who is in a wheel chair, non-verbal, g-tube)......I really want to have this done......how can I get it covered......I am being told there are no options.

I called the state and they said I would have to go into a high risk insurance pool and it cost like 700 a month.....there is no way. 

Any advice.....I can't get insurance.......what do you do?

Donna
LaShelle2
on 2/9/10 11:12 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Do you work? 

Can you finance it as a self pay?

You may be able to get the judge to order hubby to keep you on his insurance as part of your alimony?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Donna H.
on 2/10/10 12:16 am - Douglasville, GA
There is no way I can self pay. 

I was told that once the divorce is final there is no way he can keep me on his insurance.  That it would not be legal.

Any other ideas would be great!
LaShelle2
on 2/10/10 12:32 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Do you have option to get insurance on your job instead  of his?

WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Donna H.
on 2/10/10 12:35 am - Douglasville, GA
no, it is a very small company......I work at home due to my daughters condition.  I am 100% commission with no benefits.
LaShelle2
on 2/10/10 1:20 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Well other than self pay I don't know of any other options.  I hear Starbucks covers wls for their employees. Would be worth making coffee to get wls in my opinion.

Maybe your situation will change in the future and you will be able to get wls.    It was not an option for me until my employer State of GA started covering wls last year.  You never know what the future may bring.

Unfortunately wls is not free, so you have to find a way to get insurance to cover it or finance it.  Not many charitible organizations would consider wls an urgent matter, since others have more pressing medical issues...

If all else fails, you can try to lose naturally. I know it seems hard, even impssible, but many are successful at it.   Try some free or no cost support groups for weight loss like Overeaters Anonymous or TOPS (take off pounds sensibly).    I know you may be thinking you can't do it on your own because it is too hard, but believe me this surgery is not easy either!

Best Wishes,
LaShelle

WHY I CHOSE DS: 

AndreaH09
on 2/10/10 12:14 pm
Don't lose hope.  It may not happen TOMORROW - but even if you had insurance, you might would still have to meet requirements that would take months or even longer ( as mine does).

If your insurance does not cover it, and it does not change in the near future, you will have to find a way to finance it.  It may seem impossible now, but it may no be impossible down the road.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

You have my utmost admiration for being such a good mom to your kids.  Stay strong!
Donna H.
on 2/10/10 8:04 pm - Douglasville, GA
Thanks everyone!  I will keep trying.....it does seem impossible. I know I have to do something.....I have to.  My ex-husband told me that if I die he will put our daughter in a home as he will not be able to care for her. Can't even breathe when I think about that......she is 7 years old and the absolute doll!  You can visit her web site at www.hannahduggan.com
The web site is not finished but you can read her story.  I want to loose weight so I can take care of her long term. I just have to. I will check out those groups.

Thanks again!  Donna
AndreaH09
on 2/11/10 10:13 am
I read "Hannah's Story" and was moved.  You are right, GOD has a hand on her and will take care of her.
Did the stress of Hannah's situation cause the divorce?  I am so sorry that you and your husband are parting ways.
Your family will be in my prayers!

Most Active