Newbie seeking questions, please

CPGinGA
on 2/10/10 1:46 am - Marietta, GA
Hi Angela!

Thanks for your help. Ironically, I just got off the phone with Dee Hamberg, Bariatric Coordinator and he does NOT take my insurance (UHC - HRA)... and as a school teacher, I certainly can't afford to pay for it myself :(

It would be ideal if I could have a surgeon in my backyard - especially since I only live 3 miles from Kennestone.

I would like to meet indeed... let's chat as we get closer!

Best,

Corey
LaShelle2
on 2/10/10 4:23 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Dr. Smith would have been top choice for me considering he is local, but I ended up going to NAshvile to have my DS with Dr. Houston. It was so important to me to get the DS instead of a rny I was willing to travel.  I am so glad I did.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

beemerbeeper
on 2/10/10 6:57 am - AL
I did not/do not have diabetes.  But I had a STRONG family history of Type II diabetes.  It killed my mother who was never overweight.

So I opted for the surgery with the best scientific data regarding resolution (CURE) of diabetes. 

I wasn't going to take a chance that I would get diabetes EVER.

Becky

AndreaH09
on 2/10/10 12:07 pm
No matter which procedure you choose, get started on the insurance requirements NOW.  You will have to do 6 months of supervised dieting and 6 months of counseling or group support.  As others advised me here, and as I found out in my journey, it's best to get started on meeting those requirements ASAP.  I have also taken the advice of OH friends and made sure that I document EVERYTHING in this journey - all insurance correspondence, doctors reports, etc.  I have a notebook that I file everything in.  I don't want to jump through all of these insurance hoops and then find out that someone dropped the ball on paperwork - so I make sure I have copies of everything for my own records.

I will not have completed UHC - HRA insurance requirements until July, so I am hoping for surgery in August.  I absolutely LOVE going to the support groups, but think that the 6 months of supervised dieting is ridiculous!!!  I do understand that we need to learn to measure food, identify proteins/carbs/fats ----but if I haven't succeeded in dieting in 20 years, why go through 6 more months of dieting (jumping through hoops) for insurance?!?!?!?!?!

You have already gotten GREAT advice on here.  I wish you the best with your journey!
(deactivated member)
on 2/12/10 8:12 am
Hi Corey,
I see that a lot of responses have been made to your questions.   I just wanted to add that Dr. Macik performed my RNY and I had high blood pressure and Type ll Diabetes.  My A1C was high enough for my Endo dr to have me on a high dose of Metformin.  When I left the hospital Dr. Macik told me I wouldn't need Metformin anymore and he was right.  My A1C level is 5% now and I am off bloodpressure meds.  I am on a restricted diet with high protein and low carbs.  I do very well on this program.  I couldn't be happier with Dr. Macik and my RNY.  I would do it again in a heartbeat.   Being 150lbs overweight I needed help fast.  My insurance paid for RNY and not DS.  I am totally happy with my decision.

Good luck with your search and let me know if I can help in any way. 

Linda
CPGinGA
on 2/14/10 12:03 am - Marietta, GA
I met with the Psychiatrist yesterday to answer of 700 yes/no questions and then sit with her for another 45 minutes to "talk." I was exhausted! She said that there shouldn't be a problem and that she will get her recommendation done next week sometime.

I have an appt with my PCP on Thursday to start a 6 month consecutive diet and exercise.

Can I consider myself on the way?

-Corey
FOXYBROWN MAMA
on 2/14/10 5:44 am
 Yes you can.  I haven't had surgery yet and am also using Dr. Macik.  I started my supervised diet and support meetings prior to my insurance changing over.  I wanted to do as much as possible.  I am in my fifth month of support/diet meetings.  I have already had my psycho eval.  I need to meet with a nutritionist next.  Hopefully I will be done by the end of March and ready for surgery in April.
CPGinGA
on 2/14/10 7:27 am - Marietta, GA
Hi Hope - I tried to get the ball rolling back in October, but since I had to switch from UHC to UHC-HRA, they wouldn't even give me the time of day. Argh. Oh well - at least I am on the right track!
AndreaH09
on 2/16/10 11:23 am
Corey -
Same here --- I have SHBP and I switched from UHC HMO to UHC HRA and they would not talk to me until after the new ins. went into effect Jan 1, 2010. 

FYI - my bariatric nurse with UHC told me I have to have an "inital visit' , then 6 visits following that which would include progress notes for the six visits related to dietary monitoring and SPECIFIED  and had me "REPEAT ON THE PHONE that it is a total of 7 visits to satisfy the dietary monitoring.  My surgeon's office said they had never had this occur - - - - only 6 visits were required in the past.  Don't know if this is specific to my bariatric UHC nurse or if they are becoming more stringent on their insurance requirements this year.  Based on these requirements, I have had my initial PCP visit and my first dietary appointment (five more to go!!!).  I've met all of the surgeon's testing, psych, etc requirements, and am in good shape on the group therapy requirements but have to muddle through these dietary monitoring requirements!!!  It is SOOOOOOO frustrating!!!  Stay in touch - it sounds like you and I are on similar timelines.

Best of luck to you ---
Andrea
Most Active