Newbie seeking questions, please

CPGinGA
on 2/12/10 1:10 am - Marietta, GA
As always, I receive such a plethora of wonderful information from you awesome folks. I wish I could give you all hugs.

I have my psychiatrist appointment tomorrow (yes, a Saturday - how awesome is that?), so technically I have already started the process. I made an appointment with my PCP for next week, so I can start my 6 month consecutive visits and documenting everything.

I have United Health Care - HRA (the only plan that Cobb County that will pay for the surgery.) I have a list of doctors that I can use. My biggest problem is that I need to figure out what surgery is best for me - RNY vs. DS.

I have read numerous reports on both sides - both swearing that they are best. I thought I was settled on the DS,  but only a minute few on the list do the DS. Does the fact that I haven't found a doctor stall the process? I've asked my sister (a head nurse administrator) and my wife (a former ESOL teacher, now works in the medical field) to help me figure this out. I do know that I have ruled out the Lapband as it isn't the best and ideal thing for me.

Being a type 2 diabetic, I naturally want the surgery that will "cure" me and from what I read, the DS has a 97% rate as opposed to RNY's 84%. Due to insurance reasons, I may just have to do the RNY

Argh! This is so stressful!!!

-Corey
talksoupslp
on 2/12/10 1:17 am
Good, so you are beginning the process.

Basically, you need to pick the surgery YOU are most comfortable with since you need to live with your decision.  I would caution you to choose based on someone who says RNY is the best or DS is the best.  It's what is BEST FOR YOU.  If you choose DS you will have to travel out of state.  Are you comfortable with a surgeon who might be 3 hours away if an emergency occurs?  In a health emergency RNY is reversible, DS is not.  I could go on with a list of pros and cons, but I emphasize, do what is right for you.

Now, which high school do you work at?  I'm at Osborne...

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
brenda549
on 2/9/10 10:53 am - Duluth, GA
I went in to see Dr. Macik wanting LapBand as well.  He said he would do it, but with my diabetes I would have a better chance of resolving diabetes with RNY.  MANY from my support group had RNY and are no longer on diabetes meds.  There are a few, like myself that have been removed from most of the meds.  I came home from the hospital WITHOUT my insulin and metformin.  AND my blood sugars are running below the normal range now which means I will be getting off my last med soon.  We are weaning the dose slowly. 

The procedure does not limit you on the types of food you eat, unless you dump on sugars and/or fatty foods.  Only about 30% of RNY patients actually have this condition.  You must make the right choices.  However, restriction is a wonderful thing.  You go from having a football sized stomach to one the size of an egg.  

I would suggest you attend one of the many support groups around town.  Mine have been a plethera of information.  I know there are patients of Dr. Macik at the Northside Hospital groups and at the Emory Johns Creek Hospital groups. 

If you have any more questions let us know!  Good luck!
                                                HW357-CW235-GW150
            Join my journey at www.entirelybrenda.com.

talksoupslp
on 2/9/10 9:30 pm
Yes, RNY has better results for diabetic patients than lap band does.

Yes, to some extent you are limited in what you eat.  Your stomach will be the size of a large egg.  You need to eat your protein first...then some veggies...and if you still have a little room, a couple of carbs are okay.  Generally speaking, you'll be too full to eat those carbs.  You won't want to try much sugar or fat due to possibility of dumping.  It's all about making better choices.

Good luck!  Macik is an excellent surgeon!

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
maeya321
on 2/9/10 11:52 pm
VSG on 07/05/12
Hi Corey,
Definately check into the DS esp if your goal is to take care of diabetes. While RNY does have a good success rate getting rid of Diabetes, DS has a better long term success rate getting rid of diabetes and helping you keep the weight off!

If you're concerned about the invasive part, it's not that much more. Basically you can have it done open or LAP but seriously that is the least of your problems in the long run. Think long term here. Recovery from RNY or DS is going to be painful and difficult no matter which surgery it is for the first few weeks. Think about the years going forward. Here are a couple of useful links to help in your research. www.diabeteshealth.com/read/2009/06/09/6228/duodenal-switch- surgery-better-against-type-2-diabetes-than-gastric-bypass/  This link is an article about which surgery helps with diabetes better.
www.obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/3990461/SITES-TO-BOOKMARK-THRE ADS-FOR-NEWBIES/
This link is a bookmarked thread on the DS forum that has TONS of useful information for anyone who wants to know the real deal with DS and what to expect etc.

Honestly, before I discovered DS I thought RNY or Lap band were the only options open for me too. Boy was I glad to find out I was wrong b/c the thought of living with possible dumping and not being able to take IB Profen or other meds if I needed them, not to mention vomiting after practically every meal just didn't appeal to me. The DS maintains the natural function of the stomach while making is smaller and the switch part changes how your body absorbs food. Take a look at what typical DS diet is like compared to RNY.  

Good luck with whatever you decide, but make the decision for yourself. Don't let doctors or insurance companies dictate to you!

I'm pulling for you - we're all in this together!

CPGinGA
on 2/9/10 11:59 pm - Marietta, GA
Hi everybody,

WOW - that's all I could say. I wasn't expecting such wonderful responses! I am beyond words.

I am looking into the DS as it will help my type 2 diabetes, and perhaps get rid of it all together. I could stand to lose about 125-150 pounds (I am presently at 301 and very ashamed.) However, I now know that I am not alone in this. I appreciate you all - and I feel very comfortable here. Thank you for welcoming me on this journey.

Now I just need to find a doctor in the Atlanta area that does the DS procedure and that takes my UHC -HRA insurance.

I intend to live to 100.

-Corey
LaShelle2
on 2/10/10 2:16 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

WOW - that's all I could say. I wasn't expecting such wonderful responses! I am beyond words.

I am looking into the DS as it will help my type 2 diabetes, and perhaps get rid of it all together. I could stand to lose about 125-150 pounds (I am presently at 301 and very ashamed.) However, I now know that I am not alone in this. I appreciate you all - and I feel very comfortable here. Thank you for welcoming me on this journey.

Now I just need to find a doctor in the Atlanta area that does the DS procedure and that takes my UHC -HRA insurance.

I intend to live to 100.

-Corey

Sorry if we've overwhelmed you, but we DS'ers are very passionate about our surgeries. As you research and talk to DS'ers you will see DS is very different from the other surgeries.   I started in the 330's and I have dropped 115 pounds in 6 1/2 months. ALL my pre-op medical issues have been resloved.  I feel GREAT, and I can still eat like a little piggie when I want to splurge.  The DS rocks!

Here is what I ate yesterday:

B- DOUBLE SAUSAGE, EGG, 2 SLICE OF CHEESE BISCUIT FROM HARDEES W/ JUST  
     BOTTOM BISCUIT W/ PACK OF JAM

S- VANILLA YOGURT AND BANANA

S- SNACK PACK OF PEANUTS

L- LEG AND THIGH ROTESSERIE CHICKEN, 1/2 PORTION OF GREEN BEANS, FULL PORTION MASHED POTATO W/ GRAVY AND FEW SPOONS OF PEACH COBBLER FROM DELI. TRASHED THE ROLL.

S- 2 PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES FROM BAKERY

S- 1/2 BAG OF POPCORN FROM TARGET (ADDIDTIVE)

D- 6 OZ STEAK W/ MUSHROOMS AND ONIONS, GRILLED ASPARAGUS

S- CUP OF GRAPES

YOU PROBABLY SEE I SNACK A LOT IN BETWEEN MEALS.  I AM HUNGRY AAAALLLLL THE TIME.  IT IS AMAZING I CAN EAT SO MUCH???  I  AM VERY SATISFIED WITH MY DIET AND I EAT GOOD!  I DO NOT FEEL DEPRIVED AT ALL.   I CAN'T EAT NEARLY AS MUCH AS I DID PRE-OP, BUT IT IS ENOUGH TO BE CONSIDERED A NORMAL PORTION THAT A NORMAL PERSON SHOULD BE EATING. 

I TAKE VITAMINS 2X A DAY AND I TAKE A B-12 NASAL SPRAY 1X PER WEEK. A VERY MANAGEABLE VITAMIN ROUTINE. WHEN I RESEARCHED DS PEOPLE HAD ME THINKING I WOULD BE TAKING HANDFULLS OF VITAMINS ALL THE TIME. THIS IS SO NOT TRUE!  I TAKE JUST A COUPLE MORE VITAMINS THAN IF I HAD HAD THE RNY.

?  I have the Cigna HRA.  If you need help dealing with insurance, there are several shbp members on the GA board to help you.  Have you started the 6 months of pre-op requirements?

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Cindy W.
on 2/11/10 10:24 am - Snellville, GA

I just had my sleeve done. Dr William Johnson was my surgeon. I highly recommend him.
Here is the info.
Atlanta Bariatric Center
6920 McGinnis Ferry Rd.
Suwanee,Ga 30024
770-232-9252

lerkhart
on 2/10/10 1:25 am, edited 2/10/10 1:25 am
Hi Corey,
I saw two surgeons and talked with both about lap-band, both recommended something else because of diabetes.  I have been off all diabetes medicine since the day before surgery.
I had RNY and am very happy with my decision.
You are limited to the amount you eat and need to follow your doctors guidelines to be successful.  If you dump, you will also be limited to what you eat.  You should always eat your protein first.  I do eat some veggies & fruit also.
I am six months out and still do not have real hunger-I eat on a schedule.
Good luck with your decision.  It is really up to you to decide the kind of surgery that you need.
Keep us posted.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
Angela P.
on 2/10/10 1:38 am - Durham, NC

Hi Corey,

I'm SO GLAD you're asking questions and that you have gotten some good information here about the DS.  I just wanted to add that you in particular have one of the VERY BEST DS surgeons in the WORLD right there in your backyard.  Dr. Dennis Smith in Marietta.  He did my DS a year ago.  I traveled 6 1/2 hours from North Carolina for him to do my surgery.  That man is my HERO!  He saved my life, and knowing what I know now, I'd travel to the Moon and back to have him do my surgery.  I have 7 TINY (as in no longer visible) scars from my DS.  I was pre-diabetic and on 2 types of blood pressure meds.  All are resolved completely.  I used to have joint pain non-stop - not anymore.  My asthma even resolved and I no longer have any respiratory issues at all (which was a pleasant surprise since we didn't expect it but it was an added bonus).  Oh yeah, and I've lost 153 pounds of the 170 I need to lose to get to my goal.  I blew past Dr. S's goal like 2 months ago. 

I implore you.  Please check out not only the DS but the surgeon.  He is a brilliant man and he takes TOP NOTCH care of his patients.  What other doc have you ever known to come see you twice a day everyday while in the hospital.  He practices alone for that reason - he won't let anyone else touch his patients.  He has not had a leak (a risk for both RNY as we as DS) in 7 1/2 years.  His patients overall do very well post-op.  I never once threw up and after a couple of weeks, I was down to 2-5 poops per day, and since about 6 weeks out, once a day just like pre-op. 

Seriously, this life is SO easy to live with.  Feel free to PM me with any and all questions.  This is the VERY best decision you will ever make, but please make sure you know everything you can before the first cut.  If you are interested in talking via phone, PM me and I can send you my number.

By the way, we were down in Marietta for 2 weeks.  I really like it down there!  I'm coming down for my 1-yr postop on March 5th.  If you want, I'd be willing to meet you and your wife for coffee, lunch, etc. while we're there.  That way you can se what a DS looks like in person.  Let me know.

Good Luck!

~Angela               Patience + Persistence  = POWER!!   
Angelette to MajorMom      Angel to Blue Rose
and MsPPPants

HW/SW/CW/DGW/GW    305/294/145/167/140    -160 pounds total

Most Active