How Are You Doing??? February Roll Call

rogersmy
on 2/7/10 12:28 am - Smyrna, GA
VSG on 12/29/09 with
Hi everybody,  It's my first time on the board.  WooHoo.
I am almost 6 weeks out from a VSG.  I haven't met any goals, cause I have really set any yet.
I've had one wow moment.  My son, who has his nose stuck in the computer most of the time, said, "hey, Mom, I can really tell you've lost weight."  Anybody else could say that and I wouldn't pay much attention to them, but when he says it, I know it must be true.
My challenges are in getting enough water, constipation and slowing down my eating.  I drink as much as I can but can't seem to get in the water.  I finally have the constipation fixed, I hope.  It was horrible there for about a week, but I'm taking JLB's from New Sun and they help.  I have a problem with eating too fast.  Sometimes I have a bite in my mouth and my stomache says "no flipping way".
I've always been a fast eater and I have to consciously slow down.
I don't know about the help part, but I think I need a buddy.  I seem to be hitting a depression wall here in the last couple of days.  I know I've lost weight, my clothes are way too big, I already went down a size, but I when I look in the mirror, I still  see the same thing.  I was at the gym riding the bike and when I looked in the mirror(bad, horrible things--mirrors), I looked just as fat, my stomache looked just as big, my butt, my thighs, everything looked the same..I  know I have a lot of weight to lose and its only been a month, but why can't I see a difference?

LaShelle2
on 2/8/10 3:09 am, edited 2/8/10 3:11 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

Hello Rogersmy, 

1st welcome to the board. I am glad to see you posting for the 1st time.  

As for the weight loss,  sometimes when you start off at a high number it takes a minute to really see a diference in the mirror.  I started at 330+ and it just recently started to register in the mirror that I am waaay smaller,  and I've lost over 110pounds.  I still have to kick myself because I look at the plus sizes in the store and I am in a 14. 

The mental fix sometimes takes a minute to catch up with the physical transformation.

Now, there is a condition called body dysmorphia where you look in the mirror and see something way off from what is actually there.  And, you should know whether you are just  a little frustrated with the process or if there is a deeper issue going on.  If you think there are some deeper issues,  you can always consult with a psych. This is a big process to go through, so it would not be unusual to seek help dealing with the emotional issues.

Are you taking plenty of pics? Sometimes it takes putting a pic side by side of yourself to actually see the difference.  I  try to take one in the same spot in similar styled clothes every 3 months. That way you can really do a good comparison.

Plus, keep in mind all surgery types do not lose at the same pace. DS and rny will usually drop pounds quicker then a sleeve or band because your procedure is not malabsorbtive. We all end up at the same place, it will just take some surgery types a little longer to get there. 

Don't beat yourself up when you see other people posting about dramatic weight loss in short periods of time. Believe me, the other surgery types are making some sacrifices or side effects somewhere to get the faster results. None of these wls are perfect. We all have something we are giving up or changing, or a side efect we are dealing with to get the results we desire.  If it were not so, everybody would be skinny!

I noticed you had your surgery out of state.  Are you connected to a support group here in Atlanta? Dr. Dennis Smith has a group on your side of town. He welcomes patients who had surgeries with other doctors.  He also does the vsg, so you may be able to meet some surgery buddies in his group. Also I am a support leader, and you are welcome to join us. It is in Stockbridge, so I'm not sure if you are up for driving???

If you can't make a support meeting, try coming out to one of out Meet & Greets.  It is good to meet others going through the process, and we have a BLAST!

Again, welcome to the board, and we are always here for support when you need us. 

~LaShelle

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

rogersmy
on 2/8/10 3:19 am - Smyrna, GA
VSG on 12/29/09 with
Thanks for the welcome.  I appreciate your input.  I don't think I have a problem with seeing myself as I am, I just don't see a big difference right now.  Other people are starting to tell me that they do and I see a difference in my clothes.  I guess I just have no patience. 
I would love to come to a meet and greet.  And I will check into the meetings on my side of town also.  Thanks.

Most Active