How Are You Doing??? February Roll Call

lerkhart
on 2/5/10 4:25 am
I have problems with the bowels also.  I take 1 tablespoon of miralax in my morning water and 2 stool softners(equate) every morning and that has worked for me so far.  I drink way over the 62 ozs of water and it didn't help me.  I have to rely on something else and this is what my doctor recommended to start with.
I was eating a lite activia every day and that helped, but I have stopped doing that and am still ok.
Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
LeahA
on 2/3/10 7:17 am, edited 2/3/10 7:20 am - Atlanta , GA
 - Where are you on your wls journey?  Almost 6 years post-op

- What goals have you met recently?  Haven't met any recently but then again... got a lot going on in my life.

- Any wow moments to share?  Used to have wow moments all the time.  Now my WOW moments are when I tell people that I used to weigh almost 300 pounds.  You should see the expressions!

- What challenges are you facing?  Still having a lot of pain from the hernia repair.  Being able to exercise without pain is a HUGE challenge that I hope to overcome soon.

- How much weight have you lost?  I have lost as much as 150 pounds.  I am up a bit right now due to the fact that I have not been able to exercise since June.  Hopefully I will be dancing the pounds back off soon.

- Do you need anything that we can help  you with (clothes, diet or recipe ideas, surgeon suggestions, insurance battles, etc.)?  Naaa..... right now I just need to fight my pain battle by myself.  It is a long road that I have to walk alone.
RNY 5-12-04 Done at St Vincents Hospital in Carmel Indiana by Dr Margaret Inman.

Would I do it again?  IN A HEARTBEAT!!  Best gift I ever gave myself.
CColeman
on 2/3/10 8:27 am
-Where are you on your wls journey?
Surgery was November 16,2009, so I am 2.5 months out.

- What goals have you met recently?
To be able to run (well, maybe jog) up two flights of stairs in my house

- Any wow moments to share?
I am wowed every day when I can tie my shoes with my pants buttoned, when I can no longer grab my spare tire,when I walk past a mirror and wonder who is that?

- What challenges are you facing?
Just like everyone else. Having enough clothing to wear to work.

- How much weight have you lost? 

As of last Saturday,( I only weigh on Saturday) 47 pounds.

I believe that I have done fantastically well. No food issues as long as I chew everything thoroughly. I work hard to get in all my water and protein. Protein has gotten easier since I can eat meat. The only major issue I have had has been constipation. Which has always happened anytime I increased my calcium intake. I'm talking feels like giving birth from my a**. Sorry to be so graphic, but it was really painful. I combat this with Benefiber in my morning protein coffee, and 6, 250 mg. magnesium tablets per day. 3 in the morning and 3 at night with my calcium. Anytime I get a chance to eat something with fiber I do. I had one week where I felt tired, but then I realized I had forgotten my B12 shot.  I am blessed!

Rhondazn
on 2/3/10 10:23 pm - Oxford, GA
-       Where are you on your wls journey?
I am 6 months out! Had my 6 month EGD, there was some stretching, but they fixed that, and I am back on a clear diet until I heal.   -       What goals have you met recently?
     I can sit Indian style!
I am no longer taking the elevator at work!

I can shop in a regular store now. I love Kohls!!!

Iron Iron Iron, My Iron is really low, but we are working on it.       - How much weight have you lost?
 86#’s   - Do you need anything that we can help you with (clothes, diet or recipe ideas, surgeon suggestions, insurance battles, etc.)?
 Different recipes that are easy to fix for a single person that really doesn’t like to cook all the time.
Rhonda

Patience is Trusting God's Timimg!

LaShelle2
on 2/4/10 4:30 am, edited 2/4/10 4:35 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
 Iron Iron Iron, My Iron is really low, but we are working on it.  

If Dr. Duncan can't get it stabilized, ask for a referral to a hematologist. You may need intravenous iron. 

Sometimes you have to be proactive in your post-op care. Dr. Duncan has thousands of patients to care for. You have 1.  Just make sure he knows you're the most important one he has to care for.

-      
Where are you on your wls journey?
I am 6 months out! Had my 6 month EGD, there was some stretching, but they fixed that, and I am back on a clear diet until I heal.   -    

What is EGD? Is that a rny term? What stretched and what caused the stretching? How did they fix it?

Why did you get to be the 2% out of 100 to have weird complications? 1st the blood clot and now this crap!#&^%

Why does crappy stuff have to happen to the nicest people?  Arrrgh!!!

hugs

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Rhondazn
on 2/8/10 1:15 am - Oxford, GA
If Dr. Duncan can't get it stabilized, ask for a referral to a hematologist. You may need intravenous iron. 

Sometimes you have to be proactive in your post-op care. Dr. Duncan has thousands of patients to care for. You have 1.  Just make sure he knows you're the most important one he has to care for.

My PCP is working on the Iron, it has gone up. Dr. Duncan says sometimes it takes awhile for the body to start accepting it.

-      
I am 6 months out! Had my 6 month EGD, there was some stretching, but they fixed that, and I am back on a clear diet until I heal.
  -    

What is EGD? Is that a rny term? What stretched and what caused the stretching? How did they fix it?

Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) is an examination of the lining of the esophagus, stomach, and upper duodenum with a small camera (flexible endoscope) which is inserted down the throat.

Dr. Ducan does it as a precaution, he doesnt want my stoma to be bigger that a dime opening, I think he said it was a nickle. It can be caused by drinking to soon after eating or drinking and then eating right afterwards. They fix it by using sclerotheraphy (this makes scare tissue to make the stoma smaller again). Sclerotherapy successfully restores the desired anatomy of gastric bypass.

Why did you get to be the 2% out of 100 to have weird complications? 1st the blood clot and now this crap!#&^%

Why does crappy stuff have to happen to the nicest people?  Arrrgh!!!

I guess you can say that I am just blessed to be able to educate others. LOL.
I am really happy with it all. I feel better than I have since I was about 14. So that is a good thing. I have just had a few bumps in the road, but its not going to get me down.

Rhonda

Patience is Trusting God's Timimg!

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/10 10:36 am

I had RNY on 10/14/09, almost 4 months...I can't believe that. 

- What goals have you met recently?

I recently joined a gym.  And got into a size 18 jeans from a tight 28. 

A coworker that I haven't seen in a few months saw me yesterday and the look on her face was priceless.  She kept looking at me with her mouth open and kept saying wow!! Made me feel so good.  I shared my journey with her and she is interested in changing her life. 

And getting out of the 2-5X sizes.  I am in extra large now.  And love getting out of the 20's in pant sizes.  The 18's are almost too big.  Oh darn.

Making sure I get in all of my fluids. Although I love water, seem to forget to drink it.  I will buy a bottle to keep at my desk.  The sweet drinks make my stomach hurt.  So water is it.   

- How much weight have you lost? 

I have lost 88lbs. I hit a plateau for a few weeks then I started exercising and I started loosing again.  And it has gotten me off the couch. 

- Do you need anything that we can help  you with (clothes, diet or recipe ideas, surgeon suggestions, insurance battles, etc.)?

Just being there helps me to be successful with my journey.  I am constantly reading the board. 

Thank all of you my OH family,
Linda

lerkhart
on 2/5/10 4:32 am
I had surgery 6 months ago.  Just had my six month check up and everything was good.  All my labs were good.

What goals have you met recently?
Running some when I walk and not feeling like I am dying.  I really need to get back to the gym!

Any wow moments to share?
No diabetes medicine since day before surgery. A1C is normal.  Sleep apnea machine turned down from 12 to 6 - may can get rid of it in next six months.  I have had 2 people in the last two weeks not recognize me.

What challenges are you facing?
NOT eating out so much!!  Going back to the gym.

How much weight have you lost? 
70.5 all together, 56 since surgery.

Do you need anything that we can help  you with (clothes, diet or recipe ideas, surgeon suggestions, insurance battles, etc.)?  I love trying new recipes now.  It is hard to cook for 2 and not have a lot of leftovers that you don't want to eat for a week.

Linda
14.5 lost pre-surgery  5'1 1/2"                                      LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCat
buffynewc09
on 2/5/10 7:16 am - GA
On my journey I am past half way mark. My goal I met recently was finally passing my half way mark. I recently had a huge WOW moment. I sat down on the bed to talk to my husband and he kept pointing at my legs, I asked him what was wrong and he asked me when I started sitting with my legs crossed over each other, I said I had no idea I could even do it. The last time I sat that way was in 6th grade I am now 44. I can even cross my legs sitting in a chair. Amazing! My challenge, I am like you about the monthly wardrobes and the costly supportive undergarments (which I have found for less on auctions online) I wear till they no longer serve their purpose. I started at 325 two weeks before surgery and this morning I weighed 238. I really appreciate the recipes and can't wait to try them.

misslissa
on 2/5/10 8:25 pm - Jonesboro, GA

- Where are you on your wls journey?Had rny 10/29/08 so almost 14 months post op

- What goals have you met recently?exercising more

- Any wow moments to share?pretty much everyday is a wow moment.But I  work with kids at an After school program and I was able to play tag with them on the playground and it was awesome!

- How much weight have you lost?151 lbs. I have 15 lbs to go until I reach goal. 

- Do you need anything that we can help  you with (clothes, diet or recipe ideas, surgeon suggestions, insurance battles, etc.)?
Recipes would be great
Most Active