Advice

Kimberly M.
on 1/13/10 12:07 am - Dallas, GA
As of today I am 8 days post op and have had to start over at Stage 1 for my food intake.  I was tolerating things very well until Monday evening and all day yesterday......apparently I have a touch of the stomach flu....Yee Haw!

I am looking for any advice pertaining to Protein.  What is the best protein supplements that you have found and where?  I have a hard time getting the shakes down if they are too chalky.  Guess I'd better get over that...huh?! 

Thanks!!

LaShelle2
on 1/13/10 2:55 am, edited 1/13/10 2:57 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

You should be having protein shakes with whey protein isolate. This is the best type of protein for bariatric patients.

As far as the type, you should experiment by ordering samples, or asking a wls buddy to share a few scoops with you.   Otherwise you run the risk of wasting money on a tub of something you don't like.

You should carefuly monitor the sugar and carb count on protein drinks.  Many of the ones marketed for athletes at Wal-Mart GNC, etc, have a lot of sugar. Ditto for the bars.  Since you have rny, you should  be careful of this.

What types/brands of protein did you doctor suggest?  Since you are so early out, it may be a good idea to stick to his plan.  When you have healed up a bit you can start experimenting more.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Kimberly M.
on 1/13/10 5:24 am - Dallas, GA
Thank you so much!!! :)
buffynewc09
on 1/13/10 7:43 am - GA
I have been using Body Fortress (I think that's it) from Walmart.  It's about $14-$16 per jar.I make sure it is the low carb (2 or 3 grams of sugar) they have a higher carb. I also checked to be sure it is Whey Isolate. I have tried every flavor and only like the strawberry because it seems to dissolve the best.I cannot stand the cookies and creme! I am 4 months out and have done well with it so far but I am now wanting a change. I recently ordered some from a bariatric website and hope it will be great. It is a lot more expensive but if I can enjoy it more then it is well worth it. I will let you know how it is. Hope this helps.

KQinNC
on 1/13/10 10:25 pm - Mooresville, NC
Kim, Hope you are feeling better SOON !   Thought i'd pipe in with the protein thing cuz I haiven't had any problems there.  For the clear diet I was using PRo-15T Wild Berry and Peach Mango.. also they've got a Chicken Bouillon that is good.   Now that i'm on the "full liquid" portion, i'm using all of the above (because they taste good) but for my main sources of protein, i'm suing Trader Joe's  "pure protein" shake (vanilla or chocolate) and they come in 21g or 36g cans !  I love em.. can't taste any of the yucky stuff you can in others (Unjury unflavored smells like dirty feet and tastes horrible) and I tried the cream of tomato soup by Pro-15-t and it was horrible too.
   I was an idiot and listened to a few folks before surgery so had bought a few of the big jars of powdered stuff (Unjury unflavored, Unjury Strawberry Sorbet) etc.   Yesterday I tried to return them at the doctors office and since they dont take returns and i was getting aggravated, I played Santa in the waiting area and offered them up to patients who wanted them ! (actually felt kinda good)   But it just goes to show you that some folks like some stuff and others dont.  I hate stuff that smells funky. I dont want to smell anything but the flavor and the ones that I am using aren't smelly at all.    Also, they are the whey protein isolate.. so should be the easiest for you to digest !
   Good luck !
Most Active