Revision by Celio Burrowes

atl_diva
on 1/12/10 7:26 am - Atlanta, GA
Has anyone had a revision done by Celio Burrowes recently? I am 5 years post op from a RNY and have experienced some weight gain. I went to visit Dr. Burrowes about three months ago, and explained my concerns. I've already had a endoscopy done, and he explained to me my pouch has stretched and also food is going in my stomach and my pouch. I have also been having problems with my acid reflux. He explained everything to me which made sense then, but now I'm confused. I really want to have a revision but UHC doesn't cover any bariatric procedures. I was told I would have to pay $4000-$6000 up front. Has anyone experienced  anything similar and what type of revision are you having done.
LaShelle2
on 1/12/10 9:30 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Hello. First, let me say I am sorry you're experiencing a setback in your progress. I don't know anything about Dr. Burrowes and revisions, but I wanted to point out that UHC DOES cover wls. Your employer may exclude wls from your UHC plan, which may be why your UHC won't cover. Also, many insurances won;t cover a revision because they only pay for one procedure in a lifetime.  Where do you work? Maybe someone else on the board can give you some pointers on your particular UHC plan. 

If your UHC plan does in fact exclude wls completely is there another insurance available at your job you can switch to during open enrollment?

Also, have you researched DS? I  don't want to get into a debate about which surgery is best, but it does offer excellent results with very little chance of regain. Most people don't even consider it as an option because they don't even know about it. Please come over and check out the DS forum if you are interested in learning about a new option.  If you are going through this surgery for the 2nd time you need to give yourself the best chance possible in getting lifetime success this go round.  Research ALL your options before you move froward in your decision.

Whatever surgery you choose, or even if you decide to work what you have now, I'm her to support you with your journey.

~LaShelle

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

atl_diva
on 1/12/10 9:19 pm - Atlanta, GA
I work for the State Government, and its not covered . I called yesterday to make sure. Our open enrollment has already passed, and won't come around again until October or November and I can't wait that long. When I originally had the surgery I had BCBS and it was covered. But, the state dropped that carrier. No, I haven't researched the DS, I have heard alittle about it. I wonder if he performs that surgery? Hmmm...I'm going to call his office this morning to find out exactly which revisions he performs. I will be checking out the DS forum and I'm sure I will gain some great knowledge. Who may I ask performed your DS surgery?
LaShelle2
on 1/12/10 10:39 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA

I work for state government as well as many many others on here.   UHC shbp DOES COVER WLS!!!!  You have to select the HRA or high deductible option to have the wls coverage. Call them back to confirm.  

You must be new to the forum? We had several posts the past 3 months reminding all state employees to pick the HRA or high deductible

If you have the HMO or PPO you can't get wls this year, but you can switch to the HRA in November and get it done 2011. 

I had my DS in Nashville with Dr. Hugh Houston. Well worth the drive.   Several of us shbp members used him. We are all very happy with him and his staff.    If you can make it to the meet n greet this month, I'll be sure to introduce you to some of his DS patients.

If you put ga shbp in your search, you shyould be able to pull up some of the old posts with info on our insurance.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

atl_diva
on 1/13/10 2:07 am - Atlanta, GA

Yes, I am new to the forum, and I wish I would have ran across this info before open enrollment. I am really hoping to have this done within the next couple of months, I really don't want to wait another year, I'm afraid I may have gained more weight by then. I did call the doctors office and I asked which type of revisions does he perform, maybe I was asking the wrong question or worded it wrong, but one of the ladies in the office said he does revisions... on whichever surgery that was originally performed ( i guess thats what she meant)  but she wasn't sure what I was talking about. She said I would need to speak to him. Ugh... So, I guess I will need to make another appt. to meet with him again, thats another co-pay. I just don't know.  Lashelle2, thanks for the info.

~ Nikki ~

pattipetro
on 1/13/10 12:38 am - Covington, GA
Hi Atl_diva! 
I had a revision done by Dr. Burrowes and couldn't be more pleased!!  In 1984, I had the old "stomach stapling" which never really worked for me long term.  There was no support, diatery counciling, etc. and I ate right through the staple line. 

I saw Dr. Burrowes in 2004 about a revision, but after I had done ALL of my pre-op requirements and had a surgery date, the insurance company (my husband's company is self-insured) decided they would not pay for the surgery.  I was devasted and it took me 5 years to check back into  it.  I had a consulation with Dr. Burrowes in Jan of '09 and had my surgery March '09.  I have lost 117 lbs and feel amazing!!  I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Burrowes as a VERY competent surgeon who cares deeply for his patient's well being.  His staff is great and although I had to pay $4,000 out of pocket for the Fobi pouch, it was worth every dime!!  It beats paying the full price for the surgery.  Best of luck to you and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Patti

atl_diva
on 1/13/10 2:24 am - Atlanta, GA
Hi Patti, thanks for replying to me. It really helps to hear from someone who has used Dr. Burrowes. I am confused... I'm wondering if the $4000 that I will be paying for is in fact the fobi pouch? Do you know the difference between the RNY and the fobi pouch? Maybe that's what the revision would be, since my  endoscopy showed my pouch was stretched and my stoma was dilated, I think he said. But, I remember him stating food was going into my pouch and my stomach. So, maybe since the RNY didn't work for me he's revising it to the fobi pouch, which is indeed the procedure he wanted me to have in the beginning, but my finances weren't in order so I went with what the insurance covered at that time. I indeed agree Dr. Burrowes is a wonderful doctor. And, I have recommended several people to him. How long were you out of work? How long was your hospital stay?

~ Nikki ~

atl_diva
on 1/14/10 12:49 am - Atlanta, GA

Hi Patti  me again . When you began getting ready for your revision what were your requirements? Did you have to go through all the test you had to initially go through when you had your first surgery?

~ Nikki ~

pattipetro
on 1/15/10 6:17 am - Covington, GA

I will PM you, OK?

Patti

Paige F.
on 1/13/10 5:14 am
The Fobi Pouch procedure is the same as the RNY procedure except that a silistic ring is placed around the stoma to keep it from stretching.  It is supposed to reduce the chance of regain.  I have UHC with the HRA and had my RNY in November of 09. 
PAIGE            
Most Active