Wanted to...

CColeman
on 12/14/09 10:50 am
BARF. But I just couldn't. I was leaving work in a hurry and felt like I needed to eat something. I had eaten 1/2 of an oatmeal breakfast "cookie" for breakfast and thought I would eat the other half for supper. So I grabbed it and headed out the door in a hurry. I am nibbling away and soon have finished it. I am driving along and realize that I had not drunk my milk/protein from this morning and I am low on protein for the day and so I start drinking the milk. Bad idea. I had forgotten that I had eaten the half cereal cookie and with the milk it was just tooooooo much in the pouch. I still had to go to the appointment. I wanted to throw up so badly, but I couldn't. I guess I have lost that ability. All I could was tough it out. I still haven't eaten anything but liquids. When they said at Dr. Macik's office not to eat when you are in a hurry or absent minded, they weren't kidding.
First lesson learned.

Jeannie A.
on 12/14/09 7:36 pm - Stockbridge, GA
Sorry that you had this happen to you, but PLEASE remember that we are never going to be able to eat in a hurry. We need to take our time and remember that we have to chew, chew. I hope you are feeling better1

Hug's
Jeannie
Jeannie Armstrong   
OH Support Group Leader
RNY 07/27/06 
sw358/ cw 175/ qw 175 to 160

I have been blessed with God's Help!

For those in GEORGIA come and join us at PEDMONT HENRY MEDICAL CENTER in the EDUCATIONAL BUILDING in Foundation Board room the 4th TUESDAY of each month at 6:30pm.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/jeannie4759_group/tab,0/page,1/#my_groups_main:1

CColeman
on 12/15/09 10:55 am
Oh, I was fine after about 30 minutes or so. It wasn't the cookie that was the problem. It was the fact that I drank milk on top of the cookie. It was just too much in the pouch at one time. It was the first time I had felt nauseous since surgery. Lesson learned.

curiouscat7
on 12/14/09 10:05 pm

what is a breafast "cookie" ?

Your a month out????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CC

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
CColeman
on 12/15/09 10:49 am
I was allowed cereal this past week. The "cookie" is Quaker Breakfast Cookies. Here are the stats for the chocolate chip. I eat 1/2 of an oatmeal raisin cookie when I am in need of emergency sustenance.

Serving size   1 Cookie (48g)

Amount per serving
Calories 180 Calories from Fat 50
%daily value
Total Fat 6g 9%
  Saturated Fat 2g 9%
  Trans Fat 0g  
  Polyunsaturated Fat 1.5g  
  Monounsaturated Fat 2g  
Cholesterol 5mg 1%
Sodium 190mg 8%
Potassium 100mg 3%
Total Carbohydrate 31g 10%
  Dietary Fiber 5g 18%
  Soluble Fiber 2g  
  Sugars 14g  
Protein 3g  

talksoupslp
on 12/15/09 8:49 pm
Remembering back to my nutrition consult with the nutritionist Dr. Macik's office recommended...no more than 20 carbs per meal.  From your post, this wasn't a meal.

Also, if you are using this cookie as emergency sustenance, you are snacking...another no-no as far as Dr. Macik's office is concerned. 

Too little protein, too much sugar.  If you want cereal, there are some protein cereals out there...Special K makes one that's not bad.  I've also ordered off the internet from netrition.com and Kay's Naturals.

Highest Weight/Surgery Weight/Current Weight/Goal
426.4/356/216.8/165?
curiouscat7
on 12/15/09 12:19 pm, edited 12/15/09 12:25 pm
NO NO NO..... it has way too much sugar, fat....even sat fat. Those stats suck !!!!!!!!

I have the same doc... what they mean is whole grain cereal. I only ate plain oatmeal or sometimes a bit of special K... Also, way too many carbs... and just think you get only 1/2 cookie

Just because it says you can have cereal doesn't mean u need to eat it.... try to stick with protein sources and only get your carbs from veggies and fruit

I stay away from all processed foods.... sti ck with pro tein   sources,meat,eggs,yogurt.,cottage cheese and avoid packaged foods

CC

PM if you need help
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com
pattipetro
on 12/15/09 7:53 pm - Covington, GA
What CC said,,,,,,,,,,it was probably the sugar that made you nauseated.  If I overdo on the carbs, I get nauseated but I can't throw up either.  What a gross feeling!!  You will do great,,,,,,,,jus****ch the sugar, carbs, and fat. 
Patti

LaShelle2
on 12/16/09 1:03 pm - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
I think the other posters are offering some good nutritional advice.   Maybe  cereal should be unsweetened cereal???  It is so hard to get it all right post-op.

You can build up a tolerance from dumping and break your tool, by gradually eating more sugar in small incriments.  A nibble of a cookie won't make you dump today, 2 nibbles next week, months later you can get 2 down.  Before you know it, you may not dump at all.  Not a hard and fast rule, but it is possible. Something to consider.

Nobody is perfect. We just have to take it day by day.   Just try to do better next time.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

CColeman
on 12/18/09 11:03 pm
Thanks for all the good advice! The Doctors orders said to keep sugar to 7 grams or less. I was thinking 1/2 the cookie is 7 grams and I would be okay. I still don't think it was the cookie itself, but the fact that I drank the milk on top of it. It was just too much at one time. I have learned my lesson. I know I can depend on you guys to keep me on the straight and narrow!

Most Active