Steri Strip Allergy?

Paige F.
on 12/2/09 9:50 pm
DId you of you have an allergic reaction to the steri strips?  If so, what did you do about it?  Mine are not supposed to come off for another 4 days and are very itchy and red under and around them.  It is not an infection - no drainage, no fever, not painful, and not swelling.  I am calling my doctor this morning, and hope that he doesn't say I have to drive to Atlanta!  I also have an itchy rash all over my sides, stomach, and a little on my back.  My doctor just put me on Benadryl for that and said it may be an allergic reaction to the Roxicet.  That sounds odd to me.  I have never heard of an allergy to a pain medication and I haven't taken it in days. 

So, has anyone else had any experience with this?
PAIGE            
Jeannie A.
on 12/2/09 10:06 pm - Stockbridge, GA
Paige,
Anything is possible, but YES please call your doctor. He or She might say that you can put a band-aide on the sites. But please check with them first! I hope that you can get the relif that you need.

Congrat's on your recovery! I hope that things are going well other wise.

Hug's
Jeannie
Jeannie Armstrong   
OH Support Group Leader
RNY 07/27/06 
sw358/ cw 175/ qw 175 to 160

I have been blessed with God's Help!

For those in GEORGIA come and join us at PEDMONT HENRY MEDICAL CENTER in the EDUCATIONAL BUILDING in Foundation Board room the 4th TUESDAY of each month at 6:30pm.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/jeannie4759_group/tab,0/page,1/#my_groups_main:1

CColeman
on 12/3/09 9:18 am
I feel your pain! I am allergic to all types of tape. My skin bubbled up and caused my steri strips to fall off the next day. I used band aids and fabric tape to keep every thing together. I just kept changing the position of the tape to a new spot each day. I have much worse scars from the tape than the actual incisions! I too have a rash on my back since I came  home. Doc gave me some cortisone cream. We have a lot in common!
Are things going better for you now?

Paige F.
on 12/3/09 9:28 am
Other than the allergic reaction, I am doing great!  I have started pureed foods and love them.  My post op exam is next Tuesday, but I may go in to work on Monday anyway.  My nurse told me not too, but I really miss my classes  (high school math).  I am thinking it is only one day.  Where do you get your coffee syrup?
PAIGE            
CColeman
on 12/3/09 10:37 am
I use the Torani from Walmart. Glad things are going better. I have been back to work since Monday. I feel totally normal. No excessive tiredness or anything! If someone would have told me I would be functioning on 600 calories a day I would have thought they were crazy! My students have been really understanding and make sure that I sip my milk and take my vitamins!
Good luck.

Most Active