Interesting

CColeman
on 11/30/09 7:54 am
I contacted EAS about the protein I was using in my coffee in the mornings. Someone on the board had said that coffee might be too hot and would degrade the protein. Also I wanted to know how much protein we can absorb at one time. Here is their answer.

Hello Cheryl,

Thank you for contacting EAS(R).

The protein will not degrade when placed in coffee or other warm drinks.

In most healthy individuals, the body can digest and absorb 42 grams of protein (90% efficiency or higher) in a single bolus. The amino acids taken up into the bloodstream will be delivered to various tissues, including muscle tissue. However, the fate of the amino acids once in the body will depend on several factors, including the amino acid requirements of the individual and the total intake of amino acids from the diet. The body will prefer to utilize the amino acids as protein building blocks but depending on the individual's energy state and amino acid requirements, certain amino acids may be oxidized/metabolized to release energy for fuel. If an individual consumes more protein than their protein requirements, the excess amino acids delivered are is likely to be metabolized to release energy.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Joe
EAS Fitness Advisor

LaShelle2
on 11/30/09 9:12 am - STOCKBRIDGE, GA
Thanks for sharing. I have heard a zillion different theories about how much protein you can absorb at once, everthing from 20-40, so I guess 30 is a safe average.  I guess it depends on the type of protein too.

As far as it losing it's power when heated, I'm not sure. I was told not to heat the powdered kind because it clumps.

Would be interesting to see what other protein manufacturers have to say about this.

**** I AM AN OH SUPPORT GROUP LEADER ****
WHY I CHOSE DS: 
No dumping.  Highest percentage of weight loss, Best long term results,  Won't regain weight!  Eat normal sized meals,  96% diabeties, 90% high blood pressure, 80% sleep apnea cured.                                    I  MY DS!
My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four unless there were three other people.    ~Orson Wells  

Jade ..
on 11/30/09 1:32 pm, edited 11/30/09 1:33 pm - GA
Well you also have to figure in the malabsorbtion to that figure too.  Their figures would be for a normal non-surgical person.  I am already typing to you so I can't see what surgery you had but DS'ers only absorb about half of the protein they intake if I'm not mistaken.  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

Most Active