H pylori

Stacey W.
on 11/23/09 4:42 am
On my initial blood work my h. pylori count was high,  I have been taken the 8 pills a day.   Does anyone knows what happens if my pre op blood work still shows a high count?
Brwnsgr
on 11/23/09 5:07 am - San Diego, CA
My Vitamin D was low and I have Chloride in my blood (from blood pressure medication), they told me that they work on the blood issues by giving high doses of vitamins (in my case), but it will not stop my surgery, they just prepare for whatever the blood work shows so they are prepared for issues if they should come up.
misscrys
on 11/25/09 7:24 am - Lawrenceville, GA
My pre-op blood work also showed H Pylori. My blood work wasn't checked again before surgery and I didn't start my series of pills until after surgery. And to tell you the truth, I only did the series of pills for 2 days. It was too much for me to handle and I was getting nauseated.
~Crystal
leliabug
on 11/29/09 6:48 am - GA
My understanding that the blood test only tests for antibodies, which indicates that at one time you had been exposed to H pylori.  My blood test came back negative, but I needed to get a "scope" for another potential problem, and they discovered I did actually have H pylori.  I was totally grossed out!  I took the 8 pills a day for 14 days, which also co-incided with my 14 day pre-op diet.  Those pills on no food made me very sick.  However, my doc assured me that the 14 day course of antibiotics would kill even an active case of H pylori, so I think that you will be okay.  If your blood test comes back positive again, you can also ask for a breath test of some kind, which sounds weird, but is supposed to be more effective than the blood test.  Or you can have the doc check with an endoscope.

I hope you are clear on your next blood test, if you have one, and good luck on your surgery!

Most Active