Recent Posts

inkchick
on 2/24/05 1:54 am - Saskatoon, Canada
Topic: RE: Has anyone else considered Mexico for surgery?
I had my surgery last year in Monterrey by Dr Roberto Rumbaut-very happy. Check out my profile. Heather post lap rny jan 27,2004 253/140 5'8"
princessbob2727
on 2/22/05 9:00 pm - Torrance, CA
Topic: Bile Q PLEASE ANSWER
Hi there. I have a question about bile. Has anyone who has had the Fobi Pouch ever had bile when they vomit? i'm pretty scared... -Natasha
Caryl Mauk
on 2/22/05 3:04 am - Manor, TX
RNY on 06/26/06 with
Topic: RE: One Year and Now Staple Leaks
Absolutely the first person to talk to about this is your surgeon. Call right away and talk to a nurse. Don't wait for an appointment. If leaks are within the GI tract, i.e. as often happens with vertical gastric banding through the staple line from your pouch into the rest of the stomach, it will affect your weight loss, but does not necessarily have to be addressed right away. However, leaks from the GI tract out into your abdominal cavity are life threatening and require immediate surgical repair. Again, you need to be talking to your surgeon about this first, then the support group or online forum. Caryl Mauk
theang9578
on 2/18/05 1:50 am - Long Island, NY
Topic: RE: smoking
Hello. I was told that in order for your blood oxygen level to come up clear, you need to stop smoking 3 weeks prior to surgery. Anything less than that is a risk of having traces in the blood and THEY WILL POSTPONE YOUR SURGERY. It was a hard thing for me to do, but it was so worth it.
rnamy72
on 2/4/05 9:44 pm - Jerseyville, IL
The risks of complications from surgery are much higher in smokers in ANY surgery not just WLS. You will be at higher risk for blood clots, respiratory complications and wounds don't heal well in smokers. The reason most MD's want you to quit is for your own good (if you have less complications, it keeps their reputation good too!!) There are a couple of ways to check to see if a smoker has quit and for how long. To the lady who has quit and surgery is just a few days away.. Congrats and keep up the good work. Your blood work should look just fine. I quit the minute I realized I was going to try to make WLS a reality for myself. I still struggle (its been Four weeks, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 18 seconds since my last cig!) I would suggest for some really good info that you check out whyquit.com Good luck to you guys!!
rnamy72
on 2/4/05 9:44 pm - Jerseyville, IL
The risks of complications from surgery are much higher in smokers in ANY surgery not just WLS. You will be at higher risk for blood clots, respiratory complications and wounds don't heal well in smokers. The reason most MD's want you to quit is for your own good (if you have less complications, it keeps their reputation good too!!) There are a couple of ways to check to see if a smoker has quit and for how long. To the lady who has quit and surgery is just a few days away.. Congrats and keep up the good work. Your blood work should look just fine. I quit the minute I realized I was going to try to make WLS a reality for myself. I still struggle (its been Four weeks, 9 hours, 43 minutes and 18 seconds since my last cig!) I would suggest for some really good info that you check out whyquit.com Good luck to you guys!!
T. Kawanna W.
on 2/3/05 12:32 am - ATLANTA, GA
HI LORA! I TOO AM A SMOKER. I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO QUIT FOR SOME TIME NOW AND I'VE BEEN SMOKE FREE FOR 2 DAYS AND MY SURGERY IS IN 8 DAYS. CAN SOMEONE HELP SHOULD I POSTPONE FOR A LATER DATE?
Lora S.
on 2/2/05 12:42 am - St Thomas, Canada
Topic: smoking
I am being told that you must quit smoking before having surgery, because of necessary oxygen levels during surgery, I was wondering if anyone DID NOT quit and suffered because of it during or after surgery. I am not so sure I can do this, just looking for more info before I make a decision. THANKS
Lori A.
on 2/1/05 12:56 pm - Westlake Village, CA
Topic: One Year and Now Staple Leaks
So I'm just about to hit my 1 year anniversary and have lost 162 pounds but when I just received back my upper GI results today I was told I have staple leaks. Does anyone know about the next step that takes place with staple leaks and does it require immediate attention. What happens if I don't want to go into surgery again right away? Is it necessary to fix??? Any information would be appreciated, thank you.
(deactivated member)
on 1/30/05 4:23 am - Yucaipa, CA
Topic: RE: Getting Very Nervous
Hi Lynn you might get more answers from the Yahoo Fobi support group. [email protected] This Message board is a new group so we are not very active here. The yahoo group is WAY more active and you will get far more responses. They have a page created just for newbies and what they should eat. Just keep getting educated that's the best thing you can do for yourself!!
Most Active