Recent Posts

Barbara C.
on 9/6/11 9:57 am - Raleigh, NC
Topic: Do you know that your new body shape is?

As our body shapes change it can be a challenge to dress our 'new' bodies so that we emphasize our new assets and minimize our new challenges. I certainly don't want to tell anyone what their personal 'style' should be, but I found a fabulous resource that helps define what your new body shape is with a Body Shape Calculator and then provides tips to dress each shape to maximize the shape we have. 

Here is the url for the Body Shape Calculator:http://www.shopyourshape.com/calculate-your-body-shape.html. It's like having your own Gok Wan or Stacy and Clinton to help you with which shapes will work best to show off your new 'Shape.' 

Have fun!

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Down200Pounds
on 9/5/11 12:21 pm, edited 9/5/11 12:22 pm - MA
Topic: RE: silastic ring?
i also had dr. newhoff...and i had the ring. i developed ulcers around the ring, and now it is permenantly almost closed. i am seven years out, and my pouchh is Stll the size of an egg. I have trouble eating solids....however, my labs are up because i take mega vitamins faithfully, and i have maintained a 200pound weight loss for 7 years :-)
Ginny, Orange, MA
RNY with Silastic Ring: 7/3/03~Dr. Alan Newhoff, Phoenix, AZ
Total Weight Loss:  #200
[email protected]

Barbara C.
on 9/3/11 6:27 am - Raleigh, NC
Topic: Exercise...

I have to say that I'm not, have never been and am not likely to be one that likes to exercise. That said, I recognize that it's necessary to support my new life;

- It helps me build muscle so that I'm more toned and my body's metabolism allows me to enjoy more of the foods I'd like to have.

- It helps me build bone density that helps me fight osteoporosis.

- It helps me manage my my emotional eating by providing an effective distraction and elevating my mood.

So while I'll probably never be a 'Gym Rat', I've found ways to incorporate it into my routine. Since, I'm not so good at 'exercise', here are a few things that I do to support my health and well-being: 

* Wear a pedometer - it helps me remember to move my tail as I work to make sure that I'm getting in at least 10K steps a day. It prompts me to park farther away from my destination, take the stairs, etc... so that I can rack up those steps. 

* Dance - I never really equate dancing with exercise, so even though I'm no Ginger Rodgers, I will crank up the music in the house and dance while I do my household chores, enjoy a Zumba or Jazzercise class or go dancing. It gets my heart rate up and I feel wonderful while doing it. 

* Gardening - I have never really liked getting dirty or sweaty, so gardening was something I always hired out or got someone else to do, in part because I didn't like doing it and in part because it was just to hard to do. Now, I still don't 'like' doing it, but I love the result I see in my garden and my body, and absolutely LOVE that I can do it. 

* Swimming - Swimming was one of the few exercises I enjoyed even when I was heavy. I used to be somewhat concerned about what I looked like in a suit when I was heavy and I still have concerns now that I'm slender, but it's an activity I enjoy so I do it when I have the opportunity.

What do you do to get moving and how does it impact your life?

Barbara

Barbara C.
on 9/2/11 8:17 am - Raleigh, NC
Topic: Raleigh Area Support Group Meeting Saturday 9/3

I host peer to peer Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) support groups in Raleigh NC that are open to anyone who has had or is considering any type of WLS, regardless of where.

Saturday morning we will have our General Meeting from 10am to noon.

If you would like to attend, please get the details and RSVP here!

I look forward to seeing you there,

Barbara

goodwomn43
on 9/2/11 4:17 am
Topic: RE: Help Please!!!
please stop eating all carbs...
the protein drinks are also loaded with sugar and carbs.
if you can eat mashed potatoes you can eat baby food.
how much have you lost in 13 months>
Are you exercising?
you look like you have not lost much in your breast area.... they are full of fat.
Further....how could you not know which proceedure you had or will have???
We all need to be responisble... JEESH
I am very curious to know where you had this surgery??? that you did not know that you had?
goodwomn43
on 9/2/11 4:11 am
Topic: RE: help
HI
what type of surg did you have
what is your beginning weight
are you still on pain meds
these are all important to know
have you tried.... a bit or two of plain yogurt>
Also beginners baby food....
please let me know and i will try to help guide you
my real email is [email protected]
Hope to hear from you at my email.... i had vgs in TJ last jan 31st.
Suzie
Barbara C.
on 8/29/11 4:35 am - Raleigh, NC
Topic: Mindfulness

I have found that being 'mindful' has proven to be a powerful tool too help me take care of myself. It requires me to be focused and present. It also helps me be aware and accountable. I am not always as 'mindful' as I'd like to be, but more so now than I was before I had my WLS. 

To me, being 'mindful' means that I am aware of what I'm doing and accountable to myself for my actions. Everyone needs to find their own ways of doing this, but I think that we all need to do this in order to be successful in the long term.

*  Being mindful mean I get on the scale daily so that I am aware of my weight and am able to make corrections when they are still minor.
*  Being mindful means logging my intake and activity if I notice that my scales are 'swinging' more than the 7 lb range that seems normal for my body -- basically, up or down 3 lbs from my 'sweet spot'.
*  Being mindful means thinking about what I'm eating and if it is something that 'fuels' my body.
*  Being mindful means leveraging my tool and 'taking care of business first', so that I start my meal with protein, move on to colorful carbs and then indulge in whatever else I want with whatever room I have left over.
*  Being mindful means being aware of how I'm 'feeling' when I'm eating

What does being mindful mean to you?

Barbara

angelface512011
on 8/24/11 12:50 pm - GA
Topic: help
someone please tell me when normal food come back into the picture i can't do anything but soups maybe a half of a cup a day I My body can't survive on this forever  I have already lost 62 lbs and it has been only 1 month post op .I want it to get better please any suggestions

ROBIN

angelface512011
on 8/24/11 12:01 pm - GA
Topic: RE: silastic ring?
Hello my name is Robin .i would like to ask a question about nutricianal intake after surgery.I had the fobi pouch done on july 25th  in Atlanta,Ga I LOST 12 POUNDS RIGHT BEFORE SURGERY I HAVE LOST ANOTHER 50 THIS MONTH .I STILL ONLY DO LIQUIDS AND I'M SCARED I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT SOLID FOODS AGAIN .I GET SO DIZZY AND HAVE NO ENERGY AND THROW UP QUITE OFTEN IS THIS NORMAL OR IS THIS TOO SHORT OF TIME TO TELL WHAT IS GOING TO TAKE PLACE SINCE IT HAS ONLY BEEN ONE MONTH .I AM TAKING MULTIVITAMIN AND B-12 DAILY.ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY .
Georgie11
on 8/21/11 4:02 am
Topic: RE: is silastic ring considered fobi pouch?
I had the SILASTIC  RING VERTICAL GASTRIC BYPASS 4.5 years ago.  I started at 255 and now weight 130-133 at 5'8.  I have the same problems you described.  I have terrible labs, eat very little and get sick often which has given me a lot of trouble with my teeth.  I wear a 0-2 and it looks too small.  The one advantage is I never gain weight no matter what I do.
Most Active