Recent Posts

Barbara C.
on 1/4/12 11:20 pm - Raleigh, NC
Topic: Raleigh Area Support Group Meeting Saturday 1/7

I host peer to peer Weight Loss Surgery (WLS) support groups in Raleigh NC that are open to anyone who has had or is considering any type of WLS, regardless of where. Family and friends are welcome to join you.

Saturday morning we will have our General Meeting from 10am to noon.

If you would like to attend, please get the details and RSVP here!

I look forward to seeing you there,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

ItsJustBeachie
on 12/5/11 3:38 am - Middle River, MD
Topic: RE: FOBI POUCH REVISION
Hi, I'm seven days post-op from what was to have been a "revision" to my Fobi Pouch which was performed by Dr. Fobi in 1992.  Although the whole weight gain, etc. was NOT due to the Fobi procedure (Bless Dr. Fobi!) but due to a fistula forming that reconnected the pouch to my former stomach and caused the  hunger hormones to be released (I consider that a matter of sh*t just happens and get over it), I am walking your path. 

Kuldeep Singh, MD did my procedure and was the only one of three with any "familiarity" of the Fobi pouch in the mid-Atlantic *****turned my calls. He'd never "revised" a Fobi and just flew by his brilliance and the seat of his pants, CT scans, an Upper GI, and my complete faith in him.

My procedure ultimately involved the repair of a huge hiatal hernia (undiagnosed by Kaiser), the removal of my gall bladder (there was sludge and surgery would eventually become necessary), and the disconnection of the tissue.

I have about six incisions, it only looks like stitches were required in one but the steri strips still cover all but one.  The drain came out on day 3 and I was sent home sans drain (thank God).  On Day 1, post op, I felt like I'd been hit by a car, Day 2, a Mack truck, Day 3, car, by Day 4, smaller moving vehicle.  The worst of the pain seems to come from my lower right abdomen and happens depending upon how I move which makes rolling over in bed something awful.

Diet wise, I am NOT hungry and the cravings are gone - hurray for the hormones being gone.  I'm being kept on liquids for two weeks to be on the safe side but I really don't miss much.  I've got my supply of Whole Foods 365 protein powder, soy milk, and Naked Protein Zone or whatever it is called.  I've learned how to make refried bean soup (little beef bouillion, taco bell hot sauce).  I am sticking to the same things I am sure of and adding little by little.  I would like some Whole Foods Tomato Bisque - maybe I can get my son to go pick up some tomorrow.  If I feel up to it, I may venture outside the house and take a walk down the block to the store tomorrow. 

The pain is the hindrance to the physical activity but I am home alone so I do have to do much on my own.  I've gone downstairs to visit my neighbors a couple of times.  I've done some minor household chores according to how I feel.  My biggest frustration is related to the pain and the limitations that come from it.  I'm on morphine which limits my ability to think which means I can't THINK. If I can't THINK, I can't RESEARCH, I can't WRITE.  So my "real" life is put on hold.  But thank God for morphine.   

I am still quite swollen although nothing like when I came out of surgery.  I know I've lost weight but the weight loss doesn't show in my mid section where I needed to lose it yet. 

I'm using myfitnesspal.com to log my food which is a requirement prior to my follow up with Dr. Singh next week.  I haven't had any dumping, no nausea. I will give you one very useful bit of advice. You can have STOMACH FREEZE.  It's akin to BRAIN FREEZE over cold? LMAO.  Since I can only drink down so much which makes the protein requirement had to do, I've been using less liquid in the shakes but really really wanted lots of ice yesterday.  I took a blessful swig and just wanted to cry.  Oh well, trial and error. Ha Ha  It could be worse. I AM laughing.

Kate

Melly6950
on 11/30/11 12:13 pm
Revision on 04/25/12
I am trying to get my insurance to cover this as a 'revision'. The revision is basically the intial surgery done all over again, so i'm really pretty bummed. I should hear back from my insurance by Dec 15. The weight just keeps on creeping back on and it's really depressing. I hope things work out for you too!
Sheilatholland
on 11/30/11 5:37 am, edited 11/30/11 5:37 am
I had my Fobi Pouch surgery nine years ago and now have a leak.  Also, my ring is enbeded into my pouch/small intestine.  I am in the process of scheduling surgery.  I hope I can afford it. 
momokc
on 11/23/11 9:53 am
Topic: As Thanksgiving approaches what RU most Thankful for?
 I am thankful for all the blessings that God has given me this year! 
I am thankful for all of the friends that I have met on this website! 
I am thankful for my successes on my weight loss progress this year! 
I am thankful that I will be retiring at the end of this year and starting a new life/new beginning! 
I am thankful for my family, friends, and enemies! Yes, even for my enemies as they have helped 
me learn that I am not perfect nor will I ever be perfect! 
I am thankful that God has made me a unique person. 
I am thankful that I still have good health and can look forward to a long life ! 

Now what are you thankful for? 

Love you, 
Granny

Barbara C.
on 11/20/11 11:35 am - Raleigh, NC
Topic: RE: ASMBS ER Care Poster

Pam Tremble has it on her blog. Here is the link to it on her blog: http://pamtremble.blogspot.com/2011/01/bariatric-emergency-chart.html

I hope that helps.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/11 11:23 am - Toronto, Canada
Topic: RE: ASMBS ER Care Poster
 It looks like you now have to pay for a copy of the poster.  Anyone saved the downloaded version when it was free and is willing to share it with me?  PM if you have a copy! Thanks!
Member Services
on 11/13/11 3:42 am, edited 11/11/11 12:36 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: RE: Dr. Jossart - bariatric surgery program
{{Updated 11/13/2011}} 

Good news.... After researching this, it was confirmed that the above is a misunderstanding. 

That's a self pay rate for patients who do not have insurance or who have an insurance exclusion.  The total self pay rate is approximately $17,500.  

Dr. Jossart is a Center of Excellence surgeon and is contracted with most insurance companies including Blue Cross, Blue Shield, Aetna, United, Sutter Select and others. Depending on the patient's insurance policy, the usual co-pays and deductibles would be paid. 

Insured patients with Dr. Jossart as their surgeon have had co-payments as low as a few hundred dollars, depending on the health plan. More information can be found on his profile here: www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-gregg-joss art-coe/

Patient Reviews of Dr. Jossart:
www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-gregg-joss art-coe/reviews

Patient weight loss success:

www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-gregg-joss art-coe/reviews#profile_patient_progress

Upcoming Seminars
www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-gregg-joss art-coe/reviews#profile_seminars

Band2RNY
on 11/11/11 1:10 am
Topic: Dr. Jossart - bariatric surgery program
I will be having surgery w/ Dr. Jossart in San Francisco so on.  My insurance is covering most of my costs.  I was happy to pay whatever extra there was....but I found out he charges $7750 for non-covered fees for insurance patiens.  (self-pays don't have this fee)  I was told this is for follow-up appointments and group support etc.  I explained that I have a bariatric surgeon in my area and will follow up w/ him.  I offered to pay for any extra services as they occured....but no dice.  I do want  to go w/ Dr. Jossart as I believe that costs aside, he is one of, if not the best.  However, 7K is a little steep to pay all at one time for me.

I was wondering if anyone was allowed to make payments on this fee ....or have it reduced or waived.

Thanks

(Note: post title was edited by ObesityHelp)

Preop 267/Post Band 167/ Now 245 Awaiting Approval for Revision 2 RNY

hpy2bhere
on 11/10/11 6:38 am
Topic: RE: Dr. Jossart - bariatric surgery program
All I can say is Dr. Jossart is THE BEST!  I had SEVERE complications and am so grateful that I had Dr. Jossart as my surgeon.  I truly bevlieve that he saved my life.  He also assisted in a surgery a year later to remove a kidney /cancer that saved my husbands life.  I am forever grateful that I / we had a doctor with so much knowledge and the experience that he has.     
Most Active