Question about sugars

dude198824
on 8/27/04 1:43 am - Nashville, TN
For anyone out there who has had the Fobi. My friends who have had this keep telling me "no sugar" but I know that everything they eat is not sugar free. Is there an "acceptable" gram limit to sugars in foods that will not make you dump? My surgery is soon and I will be on pureed for 6-8 weeks. I have been in the stores looking at foods and trying to read labels.....pretty much everything that is not specifically "sugar free" (example fruit in its own juice) has some amount of sugar in it. Can someone help me? Thanks!
mdragynfly
on 9/14/04 9:06 pm - Piedmont, AL
Dumping is an individual reaction, just like what makes some people nauseated and others can tolerate. Some people can eat everything that they could before and never have any kind of dumping symptoms. Some people become lactose intolerant. I wish I could help more but really it all depends on you. Of course less sugar is recommended. My suggestion is to stock up on the sugar free jello and the low sugar popsicles. After you can start eating more varied foods you'll have to go through the mini-journey we all have to go through to figure out what your body likes and doesn't like. When something hits you bad try to lay down somewhere cool and let it pass. Then put it on a list of something that gave you a bad reaction. I personally can't eat mayo. I also can't eat dips, but am fine with cheese and milk in small amounts. I can eat Ritz type crackers but not saltines. It is all about experimentation. Good luck to you!
Most Active