Has anyone heard of this?

Sandyhnc
on 2/25/10 10:03 am, edited 6/13/10 1:13 pm - NC
I am a little over 2 years post RNY and have lost 110 lbs and done great! I heard that after a couple of years, the malabsorption does not work and your body re-adjusts and that is why weight gain is common. I feel like I have made healthy eating changes and am certainly more active but this concerns me.. Has anyone experienced this or heard this too?
djactenaz
on 3/31/10 6:49 am
I haven't heard that.  I've heard of people stretching their stomach, and that is why they regain.  My husband is 2 years post op as well, Fobi pouch, and hasn't gained anytihng back.  He's pretty steady at 170.
Brandy K.
on 4/2/10 3:03 pm, edited 4/2/10 3:14 pm - Garland, TX
Brandy K.
on 4/2/10 3:25 pm - Garland, TX
I've read that the small intestine can lengthen and become larger in diameter after weight loss surgery in response to malnutrition.  That, plus a stretching of the pouch and stoma and eating the wrong foods can lead to regain.  Some theories suggest that being diligent about your vitamins and protein can help prevent your small intestines from reactively becoming larger because your body is less likely to feel malnourished. 

cybregrrl
on 6/5/10 4:44 am - Charlotte, NC
That's partially true, and partially not-true.

Over time, the intestines compensate for their shortening by growing more 'vili' to absorb more. That does reduced the efficacy of the malabsorption process, but not by a whole lot.

What is more common with RNY is that the new stomach opening can stretch, resulting in your stomach emptying faster and you getting hungry sooner.

It all still boils down to using your tool properly, paying attention to what you put in your mouth and keeping an active lifestyle.

Cy

highest/surgery/current/goal              450+/319/148/130

Most Active