questions about fobi

nikki.mcdaniel87
on 1/22/10 12:02 am
I am planning on having a revison of my band due to erosion and i'm looking more twords fobi, but had a few questions

1. Can it be done laproscopic?
2. What is the recovery time with going back to work?
3. How do you feel about your decision?
4. To the ones who have had the surgery what was the worst part?
5. I heard they leave a feeding tube in after surgery... is that true?

Iv'e done some reasearch online, but of coarse things aren't always as they seem in real life. So I was hoping for some experianced answers :)
Pollyann F.
on 1/26/10 10:37 pm - china grove, NC
answers...Yes
                   4-6 weeks depending on job
                   I AM BLISSFULLY happy with my fobi!
                   adjusting to not being able to eat the foods i loved
                    no..had a drain for a few days to make sure no leaks..taken out befor left hospital
Polly in NC  "People will for get what you say, they will forget what you do, but they will never forget how you make them feel" Maya Angelou

8 pounds lost pre-op
             Publication1           
djactenaz
on 3/31/10 6:45 am, edited 3/31/10 6:45 am
1. YES, it can be done laproscopic.  My husband had it done 2 years ago, and I had it done 2 weeks ago.  Both were laproscopic.
2. My husband went back to work after 2 weeks.  And I've felt pretty good today.  I think it's about 2 weeks off work.
3. We're both very happy with our decision.
4.  The worst part for me, physically, was getting my g-tube out (Dr. Fobi actually did my surgery, and he always does a g-tube for about a week to the old stomach. Since yours is a revision, I doubt you'd need one, though.)  Emotionally, the fact that I CAN'T have any ice cream or chocolate is difficult, but I've already been living the diet for 2 years, so it's not too horrible.
5. The feeding tube=g-tube.  Yes, it is true, but it is only in for about a week.  I don't know if all surgeons do this or not, but Dr. Fobi and the other 2 surgeons in his practice do.  It was removed at my 1 week checkup.

My husband is doing GREAT 2 years out.  He has lost 300 lbs, and is holding steady at 170.  He's doing very well, and that was the deciding factor for me.  I think the Fobi pouch is a great procedure, and would encourage anyone looking the RNY route to do it.
Dwanny
on 5/13/10 9:42 am - Springtown, TX
Do you have the same malabsorbtion problems as the R-N-Y?

The only good cat is a sleeping cat...>^--^< zzzzzzz

Brandy K.
on 5/14/10 9:53 am - Garland, TX
People with the FP will have the same malabsorption of micronutrients that people with RNYs have. Afterall, the Fobi is just an advanced RNY. The limbs of the small intestine work the same way.

cybregrrl
on 6/5/10 4:28 am - Charlotte, NC
Hi! I had the Fobi done two and a half years ago by Dr. Pirillo.

1.  Yes, mine was done laporoscopically.
2.  I was released back to work in eight weeks.
3. The best decision I've ever made.
4. For me, the first three months were the hardest. Getting the food right, getting my energy back, eating enough protein, setting up a schedule. After that, It was pretty fun.
5. No feeding tube for me. I did have a drain, which was taken out before I went home. Some have to leave their drains in and have them removed at their post-op checkup a week later.

If you have more questions, ask!

Cy

highest/surgery/current/goal              450+/319/148/130

Most Active