silastic ring?

ymkelly
on 3/15/10 3:54 am
I am also having the Rny with ring, I wasn't aware of it until last week. I guess it will be helpful but I am Also concerned about corosion.
mskay
on 3/27/10 2:41 pm - chicago, IL
did you ask ur surgeon any question about corosion?
EileenAZatgoal
on 2/8/11 6:04 pm - Anthem, AZ
I had the fobi pouch with the silastic ring almost ten years now.  I haven't had any problems.  My stomach is now the size of a small orange.  I can eat 1/2 to 1 c of food now depending on the texture.  I have heard that people have had trouble with erosion, but I haven't had any symptoms.  I did make an appt. with another bariatric surgeon, as mine has retired.  I chickened out and didn't keep it tough as I don't want any unnecessary surgery.  I had an open RNY with the fobi pouch.  Ouch!
Down200Pounds
on 9/5/11 12:21 pm, edited 9/5/11 12:22 pm - MA
i also had dr. newhoff...and i had the ring. i developed ulcers around the ring, and now it is permenantly almost closed. i am seven years out, and my pouchh is Stll the size of an egg. I have trouble eating solids....however, my labs are up because i take mega vitamins faithfully, and i have maintained a 200pound weight loss for 7 years :-)
Ginny, Orange, MA
RNY with Silastic Ring: 7/3/03~Dr. Alan Newhoff, Phoenix, AZ
Total Weight Loss:  #200
[email protected]

phyllis1112
on 3/25/13 10:11 am

I had the gastric bypass in 2001 weighing 499 pounds. I lost 201 pounds which took me to 298 pounds. I continued to walk and wanted to lose about 50 more pounds, but unfortunetly I started to gain weight and wonder why when I still felt full and could not eat a whole lot but I founded myself eating a little more than normal. I started having a lot of pain at the top part of my stomach and had an END done and found out that the silastic ring was floating in my stomach. It was removed by a surgeon through my throat. I want it replaced because I am feeling knee pain again and I am not happy at all. I visited another Biatric surgeon because the one who performed mines in 2001 has retired. Any suggestions.

cybregrrl
on 6/5/10 4:40 am - Charlotte, NC
The reason the Fobi pouch introduced the silastic ring was to ensure that the new opening for the stomach to the intestines does not stretch over time. Unlike the lap band, the silastic ring used in the Fobi is not adjustable.

Research has shown that gastric bypass patients tend to have a weight regain after three to four years, presumably because the opening in the stomach stretches. This means the stomach empties faster, leaving you hungry sooner, thus eating more.

I had the Fobi 2 1/2 years ago. I eat approximately a cup of food at a sitting and stay full for about 2 1/2 - 3 hours. I'm very glad I got it.

Cy

highest/surgery/current/goal              450+/319/148/130

_Donna_
on 4/20/11 3:07 am
 it seems I recently read something that said the silastic ring comes in different sizes.  I would choose the largest just to be on the safe side.

RNY 5-5-2011

Raze
on 5/22/11 7:11 pm, edited 5/22/11 7:13 pm
i had the Fobi Pouch procedure a little over four years ago and have had no issues with ring erosion or otherwise. how much food i can eat at a sitting of course depends on what i am eating. i can eat a good sized bowl of cereal, for instance (Cherrios) or a big bag of popcorn. dry, crumbly foods and soft, creamy ones of course tend to...be less filling and go down faster. also, things that tend to dissolve in the mouth or on the way down

but solid foods? well, a double cheeseburger from McDonalds leaves me full, as does a Double Decker Taco from Taco Bell or a couple of  medium sized slices of thin crust pizza with modest pepperoni toppings. a chicken breast? forget about it even split. but a chicken thigh? sure, i can do that. pasta and rice? depending on texture, quite limited

as said before, some foods i can eat more of, some less of. same as many with WLS. the real test for my pouch comes when i have food served to me at a social function or party or holiday, however. last Thanksgiving, for instance. pile of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, veggies, bread roll. a full plate of food to be sure, but not a feast. I could finish around 1/3 of it and was STUFFED like the turkey itself lol

its nice because i can eat plenty when i want to eating foods i know i can have more of, and am still limited with a lot of other foods. so its fairly win / win so far

i also feel as if it puts me in control of my wieght loss, weight gain, and nutrition. i guess you can say over all i am very happy with my results. and i am able to eat anything and everything, no dumping

so far as ring erosion? well, its a very thin, small ring. and if it does erode it usually doesn't cause any problems as it just....goes away. like it biodegrades or something. also by that time its said the stoma / opening / pouch is already "fixed" and won't get bigger. so the band will have done its job regardless

IMO

Georgie11
on 8/21/11 3:55 am
I have had the same problems and haven't found anyone else to talk to.  I am 4 1/2 years out and haven't never gained a pound back but my labs are trashed and I am so tired all the time.  I get sick a lot and have a lot of problems with my teeth.  How are you doing now?
angelface512011
on 8/24/11 12:01 pm - GA
Hello my name is Robin .i would like to ask a question about nutricianal intake after surgery.I had the fobi pouch done on july 25th  in Atlanta,Ga I LOST 12 POUNDS RIGHT BEFORE SURGERY I HAVE LOST ANOTHER 50 THIS MONTH .I STILL ONLY DO LIQUIDS AND I'M SCARED I WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO EAT SOLID FOODS AGAIN .I GET SO DIZZY AND HAVE NO ENERGY AND THROW UP QUITE OFTEN IS THIS NORMAL OR IS THIS TOO SHORT OF TIME TO TELL WHAT IS GOING TO TAKE PLACE SINCE IT HAS ONLY BEEN ONE MONTH .I AM TAKING MULTIVITAMIN AND B-12 DAILY.ANY ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME WOULD BE SO MUCH APPRECIATED.BEST OF LUCK TO YOU AND MAY GOD BLESS YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY .
Most Active