RNY ring erroded into stomache

gamine90
on 9/16/09 6:10 am
I had roux-en-Y six years ago and just had an endoscopy yesterday. The doctor found that my ring had erroded into my stomach. Has this happened to anyone? Did you have to have it removed? How?
(deactivated member)
on 10/17/09 2:53 pm
RNY surgery does not normally have any "ring" -- you must have had some other procedure?  If you mean a laparoscopically placed "band" -- ask on the lap boards, they might be of assistaqnce.
Judi J.
on 10/19/09 12:45 am - MN
Charming: the difference between a Fobi and regular RNY is a silastic ring in the stoma area to keep it from stretching.

I thought you had a cousin that had a fobi that was having problems? I guess I thought you were aware of the difference because of your relative
(deactivated member)
on 10/19/09 10:42 am
HI Judi --

I do have a relative whose Fobi has gone catastrophically bad, and continues to degenerate.  I check on these pages occasionally.

This OP caught my attention because of the reference to the ring that had eroded following a roux-en-y -- which, as you pointed out, has no ring.  My thinking was, it begs the question -- which surgery did she have?  Hope she's doing okay ...

Brandy K.
on 11/22/09 11:23 pm - Garland, TX
Actually, my surgeon places a ring during the RNY.  The difference is that rather than acting as a stoma, it sits AROUND the stoma and is slightly larger than the stoma itself.  Its purpose is to act as a restrictive band only if the stoma stretches. 
Jacquecalico
on 7/6/17 10:35 am

Old post but how did your situation work out? I am in same situation with EDG on 7/14/17.

Raze
on 12/2/09 1:11 pm
band erosion is possible with the Fobi and from what i understand, not much to worry about. i was told about it before my surgery and never had a concern. even if it happens

it usually takes awhile to happen. so by the time it might, the stoma is already "fixed" in place, so to speak. some don't even know its gone

IMO

Most Active