Can a failed RNY be changed to a fobi pouch revision?

Khandi
on 11/10/06 11:57 pm - Atlanta, GA
I have a a failed RNY and I read that Fobi pouch does not have staples. I wanted my doctor to changed me with this procedure because it is more distal and hase the reinforced ring.
Lori Black
on 1/26/07 4:28 am - , IN
Hi, I've done a plethera of research, but I haven't heard of the revision you are speaking of before.  I do know a handful of people who have had a revision from the RNY to the DS...you can come ask them about their stories on the duodenal switch forum.  This link should get you there. http://obesityhelp.com/forums/DS/a,messageboard/board_id,535 7/They have such wonderful stories about their revisions.  One person I can think of right off hand that is on this site is Starry1st.  She had the revision done and has pretty extensive info on her profile.  This link should get you to her. http://obesityhelp.com/morbidobesity/members/profile.php?N=H 1069043043 Please feel free to ask me any questions.  I'm still pre-op but have learned a lot of things along my long path of research for my own near future surgery.  Once insurance is approved, I will also be having the duodenalswitch.   Best of luck to you.... 
Regina T.
on 3/24/07 3:50 am
Hi, I hope this info is not too late, but I had a failed RNY as well.  My original RNY was preformed in 2001 and I had a revision to the Fobi pouch in 2004 with great success.  My only suggestion to you is to find a doc that performs this procedure on a regular basis and has a lot of experience with revisions.   Regina
ladyfiji1
on 10/5/07 5:47 pm - mashantucket, CT
Hi, This is my first post and I'm hoping I can finally get my answers. My original RNY was also in 2001. I had it done in Fresno, Ca. but I'm from the east coast. I did good, in the end ,... 333lbs. to 225 and went from size 34 to a 14. I was so happy in my first six months and maintain it for about another year with great effort. I had a great routine and hoped to get to my goal of good health. Then, my husband was diagnosed with colon cancer, and the fight started. My life of course drastically changed to a sedintay one and major stress brought back some bad eating habits . Exercise routine was exchanged to sitting and reading to my husband. My focus is my husband and his good health. So, my weight has slowly creeped up to 245 and size 18-20. I lost my muscel mass that I had worked so hard for, but I look like I have gained more than I really have. I'm only 5 ' 3. This puts my BMI back in the morbid obese zone, over 40. I'm 54, diabetic and have other complications.  I call my RNY a failure also because, I never reached my goal and still have so many limitations. I'm still morbidly obese and over 100lbs. from my goal weight of 135. I want to take all of this off. I have ended where others have started. I wish to have a better quality of life and continue to care for my husband. Now, enough of medical and life history. ? please.... Can you have any kind of revision after a RNY? I had the lower hook up.with my RNY.  Can't remember if that is distal or proximal RNY. I was researching the Fobi as a means to continue my weight loss and get some help in the control over my food intake.We are in remission, in terms of the cancer, at the moment. I have a wonderful support system in place and want to give myself this time to get it back and  together. I'm sure my pouch has stretched.? So, which RNY did you have,  what revision did you get and did your insurance pay for it again ?Ho w much did you loose the first time and how much the second with the revision? How much time and effort on your part did it take. You are absolutly gorgous, so it worked. I have heard of a Fobi revision used for a Proximal gastric pouch. Have you? May I ask who was your doctor and from where is he out of? Would you say you were happy with your revision? Would you do it again? So sorry for this long post. I 'll try to post a short breeze next time, instead of a long wind. Gail
romans8vii
on 9/17/08 9:55 pm - Ft. Pierce, FL
Hi Regina!  I just read your blog this morning 9/18/2008.  I am considering RNY but have been very careful I get the right one--I am a major stress eater too and weigh over 100 lbs above my ideal--

What did you learn; how are you doing?    Gail
coco517117
on 7/8/09 10:25 pm
VSG on 02/15/10 with
Hi there - I am considering Dr. Robert Althar in Florida - I noticed you on a blog for selecting him.  Have you had surgery yet and, if so, how would you rate his office/surgery?

We are from Vero Beach (8 hours away) from his office.  Considering his Sleeve.  Noticed online he had 3 malpractices filed with the State by patients in 2007 -

Would love to hear anything you can contribute..(did u get the sleeve also?)

Thank you.
Ann
Sheryl_Williams
on 10/1/08 12:28 am
RNY on 02/25/08 with
When you say you had a failed RNY, can you tell me more about it?  Did the procedure itself fail where you couldn't lose any more weight, or was it a failure to comply with the lifestyle?  I ask because I had surgery in 2/08 and I'm struggling severely.  I've lost only about 43 pounds in the last seven months, and do more plateauing than anything.  I'm doing step aerobics for 45 minutes and eating under 1500 calories a day, only to plateau.  I'm trying to find more information.  I've been back to my surgeon more times than I can say, and nothing is working.  I've had thyroid tests that come back within normal limits.  I'd like to find out more from others who have had similar situations, and what the end result was.

Thanks!
Sheryl Williams
To have what you've never had, you must do what you've never done.  Victories don't come at discount prices.
Most Active