Surgery out of the state?

Rita T.
on 4/25/08 10:14 pm - Clearwater, FL
Has anyone here had surgery outside of Florida in another state? If so how did you go about finding a doctor in your area that would do the check-ups for the rny?
sandyfeets
on 4/25/08 11:59 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

I have not, now do I know of anyone that has.  

There is an unwritten "rule" among surgeons:

You cut it, YOU own it.

Most surgeons have enough work to do with their own patients, much less trying to figure out what was done and how it was done on a patient that is not their own.  Many are very reluctant to take on such patients.

There is a reason for having a local surgeon do your surgery.  What if there is a complication a few months down the road?  Will you have time to drive or fly to your surgeon's office?   If not, you will be at the mercy of the local hospital.  

Rita T.
on 4/27/08 1:20 am - Clearwater, FL
thank you but this does nothing to help me.
sandyfeets
on 4/27/08 3:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

As I said in the first sentence of my post---"I have not, now(nor) do I know of anyone that has."

Gave you your answer right there.

Can I ask?  "Why are you having surgery in Mich. when you live in FL?  

There are MANY competent and superb surgeons in the bariatric field here.  Some of them are known nationwide for their long term work and research in the field.   

Rita T.
on 4/27/08 3:56 am - Clearwater, FL

Yes, the fact that you do not know of anyone is why I said your asnwer was not helpful.  I am having surgery out of state (in michigan) becuase the cost difference is HUGE. And there are quite compentatn surgeons there, one of which I am going to.

It has nothing to do with the competancy in this state its a matter of over priced surgeries so the docs can pay for their BMWs

sandyfeets
on 4/27/08 4:32 am - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 12/20/05 with

LOL I know that my surgeon doesn't drive a BMW, -nor do his partners.  He actually drives an older model Lexus.... he's putting kids thru college.

BUT I do know that FLA has one of the highest priced malpractice insurance rates----it's the states seriously flawed TORT laws. 

Good Luck in your endeavors. 

Redhaired
on 4/26/08 3:06 am - Mouseville, FL
I traveled to Omaha for my DS.  I have had no trouble getting any follow-up care I need.  In the beginning my PCP worked very closely with my surgeon because the DS is so different from RNY and at that time there were no DS surgeons in the state of Florida.  Now that being said all of my labs and some of my other medical info is sent to my surgeon on an on-going basis and I will see my surgeon at least once a year for the rest of my life.   A lot of people travel outside of the country for surgery and do very well so I knew I would be able to manage going to Nebraska. Red

Rita T.
on 4/27/08 1:22 am - Clearwater, FL
I'm going to be getting the RY so I am hoping I find someone within my area to do follow ups. I'll be in the same situation as you I will be meeting up with my docotr at least once a year. I c an't imagine there are so few people that don't get this done out of state or don't move sometime after surgery.
Redhaired
on 4/27/08 6:55 am - Mouseville, FL
You should have no trouble since the RNY is so accessable.  Your PCP should be able to work with your surgeon and provide any care that you need.  You will really only have to see another surgeon should you need more surgery.  Otherwise your surgeon can provide guidance and answer questions for your PCP.

Rita T.
on 4/27/08 7:00 am - Clearwater, FL
thanks so much for the info! I'm glad to know I don't have to have a specific surgeon the entire time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Coronary Angiogram Question
Another Fatone · 0 replies · 367 views
Medicaid requirements
Bugaboo2010 · 0 replies · 1441 views
Newbie here
fatsuitbegone · 1 replies · 1434 views
Dr. Michel Murr
Kwhitmer · 0 replies · 1576 views