JROLFSON’s Posts

JROLFSON
on 3/28/11 6:13 am
Topic: RE: was anyone else still not able to eat food at 4 months out
So after reading all the posts on your thread here, and considering this is the first time I've been on Obesity Help in quite a while...Can you tell me what type of surgery you had, was it revision? (  you may have already posted about this, but I haven't seen it )

I have had (2) revisions...Original gastric stapling (couldn't eat hardly anything, maybe 3 or 4 bites a day for about 8 months) First revision revised to gastric bypass ( couldn't eat anything for 5 months except for 4 or 5 bites a day ) Had another revision almost 2 years ago to ERNY ( I strongly advise against this procedure ) But after surgery could eat anything and everything...

After the first two surgeries my follow ups with my Dr. he suggested 15-16 tiny bites every 2 hours...also suggested (and this is the bad part) eating things that will go down easily such as mashed potatoes, soups without a lot of bulk, and believe it or not bits of chips...This is totally unhealthy but honestly after doing this for about 2 months I was able to work myself up to a fairly normal meal 3 times a day...My Dr. told me that I had severe scaring and I had to somewhat stretch the stomach...Everyone has a different situation...But when my Dr. told me that he was going to take me in and do a compelte take down of the surgery....I made myself do it...and I got stronger and stronger...Upon the original Gastric Stapling I lost over 120 lbs in 6 months...The first Revision I lost 125 lbs in 7 months...Everyone is different, everyone recovers different, everyone requires something different...You obviously have a problem, whether or not it is something like mine no one knows, but it is important that you get down and see a surgeon who can run an endoscopy or xrays to see what is going on....I have heard of people going for as long as a year without eating but a bite or two or a daily shake, believe it or not...When I had my first two surgeries....They didn't have shakes or have you not eat anything but liquid several days before surgery...It's changed a lot since 1977...

Another question I have for you, is do you experience extreme nausea or dry heaves from not eating?

Thanks,

Janie Rolfson
JROLFSON
on 8/11/10 8:56 am
Topic: RE: Obamacare hits home ~
I agree with you Kerry and Lisa....As a Manager for a relatively small General Contractor  here in Utah who generously offers 100% paid insurance for it's employees and 25% portion paid for spouse...I feel so very fortunate....But I see the changes coming around the bend....With a 48% hike in insurance costs when we renewed this year the owner agreed to continue again this year as in the past, but I and all our employees wonder how long can he do this? Insurance costs will continue to rise and the average cost of insurance for employees over the age of 35 is about $850 per month...The government intends to allow companies to have "tax breaks" for providing insurance...What does that entail? Will we as employees then receive this $850.00 per month added to our W-2 at the end of the year so that small business can write off the cost of the insurance? This is one of the statements I read in the very lengthy "health care plan"... This means that would add additional $10,500 to my annual income that I will be taxed upon...That is scary....

Also, if mandated to carry insurance for all employees...small business will either lower hourly wages or salaries to off set costs or pay the fine the government accrues for businesses not offering insurance...Honestly it's cheaper to pay the fine...I think there's a reason for that?

JRolfson

JROLFSON
on 5/25/10 5:02 am
Topic: RE: Dr. John Husted ???
After reading every post in this thread I want to tell you, I'm no beginner at WLS...(3) under my belt, I'm ashamed to say, original stomach stapling, revision to rny and revision to erny...I was one of the Husted cheerleaders at one time and actually had made the decision to make the treck to Kentucky...But money, insurance just wasn't in the cards for me...But the DS is what I always wanted...I ended up with an ERNY...Need I say more....

I read throughout these posts all the pros and cons surrounding Dr. Husted and honestly how do you trust a surgeon who moves, and moves, and moves, and moves? It's a huge factor and question and in reference to his surgical skill...wasn't he the surgeon who left a surgical tool in the body cavity of a patient that became seriously infected and the patient nearly lost their life? Hmmmm?

But the biggest thing for me and what sent me to check out Dr. K was Dr. Husted who told me by phone that if I couldn't come to Kentucky that there was no better surgeon in the "WORLD" than Dr. K....Yep right out of the Dr.'s mouth himself...I just wished I had gone to Dr. K in the very, very first place because I lived in Bakersfield for 30 years and he was in my own backyard the whole time...Dumb, really, really dumb...

For anyone contemplating surgery especially revisions...be smart...don't just listen to the cheerleaders for one surgeon on this board...get on the websites in the counties where the surgeons practice and enter their names in the court websites to see if they have previous, pending or closed malpractice suits...Check with the AMA...check with the state medical boards...Do your homework...Don't consider a surgeon who has moved his practice every 3-4 years...

I consider myself lucky because I was one of those taken in by experiences of others on this board...so desperate to lose weight again...What I mean by that is I ended up with a type of surgery I really didn't want, by a surgeon that turns out is not always honest and has a few unscrupulous ways...Again, I was lucky I've done well with my revision but I should have been more diligent and not in such a hurry to get it done...I'm just saying...don't be so desperate that your willing to give your life for it...

JRolfson
JROLFSON
on 8/21/09 8:13 am
Topic: RE: trying to be patient with Ellen
I will email him the link to this thead...I've never had him fail to return an email to me...
JROLFSON
on 8/21/09 7:05 am
Topic: RE: trying to be patient with Ellen
I have emailed Dr. Husted myself several times and he returned it immediately...Someone needs to email him this thread and make him aware of how unhappy patients are with his front office...

JROLFSON
on 5/14/09 11:31 pm
Topic: RE: HOT, HOT Question for DS'ers
Wow! Some really great responses....I posed this question as I am a past VBG'er revised RNY'er who is intensely researching all forms of revision....I will be revised to an ERNY as of May 20th...The reason being, My insurance will not pay for DS....I'm a very high risk patient because of (3) past abdominal surgeries and most surgeons would not take my case on...I have found 3-4 who will but again...Insurance will not cover it...But I really wanted to know what kind of stats the DS'ers were having....Looks really great!!! Much better than RNY....

Thank you all for the wonderful responses...I so appreciate your time...Good Luck....Hope to be on that loser's bench with you all next week.

Janie
JROLFSON
on 5/14/09 8:43 am
Topic: RE: HOT, HOT Question for DS'ers
I would like to know if there is a DS'er on this forum who has had the DS and maintained at goal or at least within 40 lbs of goal for over 15 years?

Thank you so much for your responses!

Janie
JROLFSON
on 3/30/09 1:29 am
Topic: RE: New - Revision to DS - Help?
Dear Red:

I'm sure you will get several people to respond to this post...But, if a absolute qualified answer is what your looking for, regarding your options to revise to DS...Pose this question to Dr. Husted he has answered many people's questions on this forum and is very versed in the transfer from RNY to DS. Also, Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco and Dr. Keshshian in Delano, CA. Dr. Rabkin and Dr. Keshshian don't post here but you can call there offices.

I like you am looking to Revise from RNY to DS. It is very tricky, and can be a very risky surgery. The biggest issue here is making sure you have a very experienced surgeon who has done the surgery many times over. That isn't that easy to find. I have found about 5 in the US who are very well versed in this procedure. Dr. Husted happens to have developed a couple techniques that to my knowledge no other surgeon uses for those times when the take down of the pouch get to difficult he has other ways of going about it.

Good Luck Red.

J Rolfson
JROLFSON
on 3/11/09 3:37 am
Topic: RE: NEED SOOO!!! MUCH FEEDBACK
You are just the sweetest! Thank you so much for your honest and forthright replies.

I just don't think I can spend several months recooperating or going back and forth between Utah and California....That is where I would get my Revision if I were to go to a DS.

Not sure if the risks are worth it.

Thanks Again,

Good Luck and keep up the good work.

Janie
JROLFSON
on 3/11/09 3:11 am
Wow!!! This is exactly the kind of information I am looking for. I don't just want the success stories right from surgery I want to know all the risks. My last revision to RNY from Gastric Stapling or Gastroplasty, was major as well. Took over 8 hrs and I lost a lot of blood. Although I had no leaks and faired quite well.

The leak thing is very scary to me. Thank yo for your information. Can you tell me How much have you lost since your RNY to DS?

Thank you so much.

JR
JROLFSON
on 3/10/09 4:23 am
Hi Kerry:

Yes, I would like to get together....I have to make a final decision on this thing pretty quick. The thing I'm so worried about, are the complications because I too have the torn stomach scar tissue, matter of fact scar tissue everywhere due to my last revision to RNY. When I went through my last surgery to the RNY it was quite major and took them many hours to complete because of the tearing from the stapling, scar tissue from the stapling, etc. So I can just imagine it's been over 16 years since then what it looks like in there now.

I would have loved to meet today, but I too have a bid deadline. So I will give you a call. I'm sure my husband would just love to be able to talk with a guy who has been through this. It would make him feel much better than talking with me about it, he says I leave certain things out to make the procedure more appealing. Go figure.

Anyway, I will be calling you.

Thanks Again,

Janie
JROLFSON
on 3/10/09 12:28 am
Hi:

I'm new to the DS Board, been hanging around the revision board for over a year. But, I finally got my insurance approval and I'm trying to determine what procedure to have.

Can all you Revised from RNY to DS please tell me how it's going for you, what you went through, just anything you can forward will be food for thought for me. I want good and bad, anything that can help me make the most qualified decision. I so appreciate this forum.

Thanks so much.

JRoflson
JROLFSON
on 2/19/09 4:16 am
Topic: RE: OT-Twilight Books for an 11 yr old?
Well Lisa:

Looks like you got tons of feedback on your question. I figured I would throw mine in the hat as well.

I have 11 and 13 year old girls. We went through much debate and discussion as to whether or not they could read the Twilight Series. Ultimately they won. I let them both read them. Funny thing is the 11 year old read all four books and that was the last I heard of it...She wasn't affected one way or the other. Matter of fact didn't hear much from her on them at all. On the other hand the 13 year old became obsessed with the whole Twilight theme, shirts, stickers, Edward, Bella, the Movie, Twilight Birthday....Oh my go****hought she was going to turn into a vampire. But it's been a year now and that too has passed. I took them both to the Movie as well and I know that the movie was much more mild than the books, because as the books progress so does it progress sexually... The first movie not bad at all.

I say, yes....It promotes thinking, their ability to read and understand. Getting kids to read these days is not all that easy.

Good Luck

JRolfson
JROLFSON
on 2/13/09 1:14 am
Topic: RE: DS REVISION
Thanks Kerry:

My husband said I really should get in touch with you and chat about your experiences. He felt you would give me the 100% truth. Tell me about your experience with Dr. Schlessinger. He is currently the one I have scheduled to do my ERNY. But the more I hear the less I want to do it that way. I really think the DS is the way to go.

I too had a Stapling in 1979. In about 1987 it tore apart and for about 3 years I too was bleeding and had some tearing that healed itself. I really had no idea the staples came apart until I had a blood test, due to an increase of weight gain. The blood test showed my hemoglobin at about 3...the doctors almost had a heart attach. They transfused me with both blood and iron (16 times) 4 hours  each through IV. Then scheduled me for a EGD after the Tool drop right through to the bottom of my main stomach they knew immediately I had a problem. They scheduled me for RNY Revision and into surgery again for a revision. This happened in 1989. So I am scared of getting a DS, although that is truly the way I want to go. I do believe I will get a consultation with Dr. Rabkin. What does he charge for that and we're you covered by insurance or self pay? Hope I'm not being to personal but, I don't have the money to self pay.

I would love to invite you and your wife to dinner sometime, with my husband and I. Maybe we could talk about all this, he needs to hear about all the particulars as well. For some reason my husband likes hearing the particulars from other men. We love meeting new folks and you sound like great people. We have commons bonds in the Church.

Thanks again for all your input.

JRolfson

JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 11:12 pm

Hi Laure:

Thank you for responding. I appreciate the caring words. I'm very scared about a DS, love the results hate the complications, especially in my case.

I'll wave back if I know when you pop through.

Janie

JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 7:06 am
Well hi Kerry...I lost touch with you. Last time we emailed you hadn't decided upon a doctor yet and we're still debating on which route to go. I am impressed. I have just read your profile and frankly it scares me about all you went through. I know now it was all worth it, but to have to go back into surgery scares me absolutely to death.

This would be my second revision and the first revision I had was very scary, took 10 hours + although I did much better after it than the first WLS I had. I'm so happy for your success.

I'm may be contacting you, I would love to talk with you about your progress.

Thanks so much.

Janie Rolfson
JROLFSON
on 2/12/09 3:44 am
HI TO ALL:

I'M NEW TO THE DS SITE. WAS HOPING TO GET INFO FROM PAST RNY TO DS REVISIONER'S. ANYONE WHO HAS AN RNY TO DS COULD YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOU'RE DOING...SOME OF THE THINGS I WOULD REALLY LIKE TO LEARN IS TIME FOR HEALING, MALOPSORBTION PROBLEMS, GAS PROBLEMS, RETURN TO WORK, DOCTORS....JUST TRYING TO RESEARCH THIS, FEEL IT MIGHT BE A BETTER FIT FOR ME THAN ERNY.

THANK YOU SO MUCH

JROLFSON
JROLFSON
on 11/14/07 7:23 am
Topic: RE: QUESTIONS ON DS REVISION
Hi Dawn: Thank you so much for responding. I appreciate everyone's help, it is truly a lifesaver when trying to make a decision of this magnitude.  I was wondering do you know what the age cut-off is for DS Revision? I'm currently 53 and feel as if my time is running out to get this done. Do you have any knowledge on this? Thank you Dawn for responding again to me. JRolfson
JROLFSON
on 11/13/07 11:56 pm
Topic: RE: QUESTIONS ON DS REVISION
HI THERE: I HAVE A QUESTION FOR THIS FORUM. ARE THEIR ANY OF YOU OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD A REVISION TO DS? I KNOW THERE IS A FORUM HERE FOR REVISIONS BUT VERY FEW POST ON THAT FORUM I WAS HOPING TO HEAR FROM ANY DS REVISIONS. I'M CURRENTLY SEEKING A DS REVISION FROM RNY AND AM DESPERATELY TRYING TO GET INFORMATION, SUCH AS; HEALING TIME, LENGTH OF SURGERY, WEIGHT LOSS? ANYONE WHO CAN HELP, I WOULD SO MUCH APPRECIATE IT. THANKS, JROLFSON
JROLFSON
on 10/24/07 7:56 am
Topic: RE: PLEASE HELP ME REQUIRE ASSISTANCE ON REVISION

HI THERE: I'M CURRENTLY CONSIDERING A REVISION FROM RNY TO DS. I NEED INPUT PLEASE.  I HAD A GASTRIC STAPLING BACK IN THE OLD DAYS (1980) LOST OVER 125 LBS AND MAINTAINED A SOMEWHAT DECENT WEIGHT AND THEN IT CAME OPEN AND REGAINED ALMOST ALL 125 LBS.  THEN I GOT A REVISION TO RNY PROXIMAL, I BELIEVE IT WAS, IN 1990. I LOST 125 LBS AGAIN. MAINTAINED MY WEIGHT FAIRLY SATISFACTORILY, UNTIL ABOUT 4 YEARS AGO.  IN THE LAST YEAR I HAVE GAINED A FRIGHTFUL AMOUNT OF WEIGHT AND I AM 25 LBS SHY OF WHAT I WAS WHEN I HAD THE RNY REVISION IN 1990.  I HAVE RESEARCHED JUST ABOUT EVERY PROCEDURE I'VE SEEN ON THIS FORUM, THE REVISION FORUM, AND I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO. I KNOW I HAVE TO MAKE THE RIGHT DECISION FOR ME, BUT I NEED MORE INFORMATION FROM THOSE PATIENTS WHO HAD HAD RNY TO DS REVISIONS SO THAT I CAN EVALUATE THE BEST WAY TO GO. CAN YOU HELP ME PLEASE, ANY OF YOU OUT THERE WHO HAVE HAD A REVISION RNY TO DS, PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS, LIKES OR DISLIKES, WHAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE OR SHOULD HAVE DONE. ETC, ETC. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP, I LOVE OH. JANIE ROLFSON

Most Active
15 years post surgery
jopringle · 1 replies · 54 views