Pre-op need to lose weight. Also kinda freaking out about the liquid diet. Advice needed...

Mrs.V1415
on 7/2/21 10:52 am
DS on 07/19/21

Hi everyone! My DS surgery is in 17 days and the liquid diet starts in 8 and I'm so excited! However, yesterday I was told that the nutritionist I've been working with since the beginning of this journey has just resigned. I'm going to call today to set up a meeting with a new one. I feel like I have everything for the liquid diet: tomato soups, low sodium V8s, broths, different types of protein shakes and zero carb protein powders (flavor and non), crystal lights, cream of wheat, etc,. I will go over all of this with the new nutritionist but is there anything else I should ask about?

I'm desperate to lose weight before the surgery. I've done liquid diets in the past and didn't lose anything, but it would change when I combined it with exercise. My body has always responded better to exercise and movement more than dieting. I'm using bands and I wish I could exercise more, but I have a herniated disc and some tears that are healing and even when I do light things like walking around my yard for 10 minutes I end up having to use a walker, or in worse case scenarios the ER. I tried swimming and doing small movements in the water but the same thing happened. Any advice?

PattyL
on 7/2/21 11:14 am

If diets worked long term and kept the weight off, none of us would be here. Right? Do what you need to do to go into surgery at your best and in the best possible condition. Do whatever your doctor insists you do and don't stress over weight loss. You will lose weight after the surgery. It makes no sense to injure yourself further and hinder your recovery from surgery. Keep your eye on the prize.

hollykim
on 7/3/21 5:31 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 2, 2021 at 5:52 PM Pacific Time, Mrs.V1415 wrote:

Hi everyone! My DS surgery is in 17 days and the liquid diet starts in 8 and I'm so excited! However, yesterday I was told that the nutritionist I've been working with since the beginning of this journey has just resigned. I'm going to call today to set up a meeting with a new one. I feel like I have everything for the liquid diet: tomato soups, low sodium V8s, broths, different types of protein shakes and zero carb protein powders (flavor and non), crystal lights, cream of wheat, etc,. I will go over all of this with the new nutritionist but is there anything else I should ask about?

I'm desperate to lose weight before the surgery. I've done liquid diets in the past and didn't lose anything, but it would change when I combined it with exercise. My body has always responded better to exercise and movement more than dieting. I'm using bands and I wish I could exercise more, but I have a herniated disc and some tears that are healing and even when I do light things like walking around my yard for 10 minutes I end up having to use a walker, or in worse case scenarios the ER. I tried swimming and doing small movements in the water but the same thing happened. Any advice?

I would suggest you stay away from cream of wheat and anything carbs like it. They won't help you lose. Even if they are on your plan, don't eat them.

sweetpotato1959
on 7/5/21 9:27 pm

Mrs.V.

I ditto what Hollykim said..

It will be hard to go from eating what you want to liquid. I would extremely limit all carbs.. no matter the source...I would up protein to 80-90 grams protein per day ..asap...and not wait on the liquid diet to do that...., that is possible with the shakes...and limit carbs as low as possible.. with a goal of 30 grams per day...

If you need some cream of wheat for satisfaction i would only use half portion cream of wheat and double the liquid.( for volume) Artificial sweeteners can mess with your hunger so i avoid all of those.

The goal of a 8 day liquid diet is to enable weight loss and shrink the liver., it makes your surgery safer.

Consider isometrics. you can do them from a chair or bed. It depends on where your injuries are, i would not do any areas with injuries- having a ligament torn is in my recent experience....to do isometrics get in a comfortable position. i begin with feet and ankles.. slowly tense all muscles of the muscles for feet hold for a count of 5 then slowly release. repeat in sets of 3-8 building slowly.over time working up the body ...then calf muscles, then thigh. lower core , with abdomen and buttocks.. upper body , arms , shoulders, head and neck...by the time i am done am relaxed tired and ready for a nap. you could do isolated ones to build strength n each set of muscles that has no injury...these will help raise metabolism..if unable to walk they will help

(deactivated member)
on 8/1/21 7:16 pm

Nice to see this post here and thanks for sharing this to us.https://www.couponupto.com/coupons/reading-buddy-soft-ware

Recent Topics