Anyone have DS from one of these 3 surgeons?

Saltwater
on 5/28/20 10:19 pm, edited 5/29/20 6:00 pm

Hi All - needing to have a revision from Sleeve to DS and live in the West. Looking for best surgeon for me for this specific surgery with best outcomes. Deciding between Dr. Higa in Fresno, Dr. Keshishian in Pasadena or Dr. John Rabkin in San Francisco - anyone with feedback (both good and bad) would be so helpful. I will be traveling far for all of them so just was looking for some direct hands-on experience. Thank you!

catwoman7
on 5/29/20 5:17 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Those last two are VERY well-known and respected DS surgeons. I see those names on this board all the time. I'm not familiar with Dr Higa, but someone else may chime in.

PattyL
on 5/29/20 8:40 am

You can't do better than Rabkin or Keshishian. Never heard of Higa.

califsleevin
on 5/30/20 6:51 am - CA

I am not familiar with Dr. Higa, but Dr. Rabkin did my VSG, and his older brother, who brought him into the DS business, did my wife's DS those many years ago. Dr. Keshisian has adopted the SoCal support group that the Rabkins started when they were practicing down here, so I have been dealing with him in that capacity for a number of years. Both Rabkin and Keshishian have been doing DSs for at least 15-20 years and are amongst the few surgeons around who can do the complex RNY/DS revision, so both are very capable. Likewise, both attract patients from across the country, so have been doing telemedicine for years for initial consults and long term follow ups - most important with a DS and its' supplement and monitoring needs, and are likewise well set up for handling the needs of travelling patients.

When I had my VSG, I travelled up to SF to have Rabkin do it, as there wasn't anyone in So Cal at the time who had much experience doing them, as Dr K was still practicing up in the Central Valley then. At this time, I would have a hard time choosing between them, and it would mostly fall into geography and travel convenience.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Janet P.
on 6/1/20 10:06 am, edited 6/1/20 3:06 am

You've already heard from others. Dr. K and Rabkin have been around for as long as I have (my DS was 2003). There aren't many DS surgeons left. Rabkin was in NYC for years. I have several friends who had successful DS surgery with Rabkin. My surgeon (Elariny) is from that era of DS surgeons and he still practices in northern VA.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Saltwater
on 6/1/20 12:33 pm

Thx Janet. Why are there not many DS surgeons left? I thought it was getting more and more popular as the gold standard for both losing and keeping weight off.

Janet P.
on 6/3/20 9:08 am

Two schools of thought. First it's a very complicated surgery usually performed on someone morbidly obese (or larger), which brings another whole set of potential complications. High risk.

Second, unfortunately many DS surgeons never provided the follow up or even guidance that is absolutely required with the DS. Lots of people having the DS but not necessarily learning what they needed to change in their lives to live with this surgery. My surgeon is a gifted surgeon but that's what he is, a surgeon, a cutter. I was very lucky to have had a great support system from other patients (there were about 10 of us all local), which helped keep me on track. We're still friends almost 20 years later.

In my opinion, yes, the DS is the absolute gold standard BUT the DS requires a massive commitment - for life. Vitamins are not an option. Protein is not an option. Labs are not an option. Period. When I was presented with all the surgery options and the research, there was no question for me - it had to be the DS. I still have dealt with iron deficiency anemia and osteoporosis. Doesn't matter for me - well forth it.

Do your research, ask alot of questions, and select the surgery that's right for you.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

LEE
on 6/1/20 1:57 pm

I had a revision from a RNY to a DS with Dr. Rabkin, because I researched that he and Dr. Keshishian were the top two and I wanted the best. He is the most confident, amazing surgeon and I had zero issues with my surgery. It was a super hard recovery.

Good luck on your revision.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Saltwater
on 6/2/20 1:35 pm

Hi Lee - what made you pick Dr Rabkin vs Dr K and I am sorry your recovery was so difficult. How long ago was it and how are you doing now. Thx

LEE
on 6/3/20 1:22 am

I chose him because he was the best for me. I would have gone with Dr. K too had he been closer.

it has been seven years and I am able to maintain my weight and eat what I want. It was the best thing I ever did.

Salty Pickle a.k.a.  Lee
Recent Topics