Considering DS after VGS

acaciaj
on 2/6/20 6:03 pm

Hi, I had a VGS in 2007. I was 103kg (226lb). Within one year I was 58kg (127lb). I stayed between 58 and 60kg for 8 years. This was by sticking to small meals and my sleeved never stretched beyond me being able to fit in a starter sized meal. I read Dr Fuhrman's book Eat To Live and discovered that micronutrients are what your body needs for optimal health and longevity. I ate a vegan high carb (by carbs I mean vegetables and fruit) and low fat and moderate protein (plant protein only) diet. Of course life had ups and downs but I managed for 8 years not to run back to junk food and emotional eating to deal with it. Then I had some non sleeve related health problems and mega stresses from deaths and watching the "slow death while still alive" effects of dementia on my dad. Brain injury to my brother - and me the care taker of both (and a hubby and 4 kids). So 8.5 years ago I was 125lb. Healthy diet and my sleeve was still nice and tight. 3 years later I am 95kg (209lb), my sleeve fits in a normal sized meal, I eat HEAPS of junk food and snack constantly. I've tried to get back on track but would love my proper sleeve back to make it easier to gain control. My Dr suggested I consider a DS because it seems the best option for a sleeve weight-regain. I am interested but am concerned about the potential nutritional deficiencies. I don't just want to be slim - I want to be healthy and live a long life. I want to know if anyone has followed the vegan diet I followed with my sleeve and if you had been able, when combined with vitamins, to maintain optimal nutrient levels. I would also like to know how many people suffer from diarrhea and foul flatulence (as some of the literature suggests you can) and if this can be controlled with diet. Sorry for the mammoth post!

PattyL
on 2/7/20 11:23 am

Generally speaking, vegan and DS do not play together well. How will you manage to get @100 gr of protein daily with as few carbs as possible? A few people have done it but it is not easy. Plus the foods you would need to eat a LOT of are gas and diarrhea producing for many of us.

I have no problems with gas and diarrhea but I eat meat for protein. I am almost 20 years out and I am doing great. I eat lots of low carb veggies. Fruit, almost never, that's a cheat for me. I think of fruit as sugar and water. I don't need sugar at all. I do really well with my supplements and rarely miss a dose. There is nothing I can't eat but I try to choose wisely most of the time. I do give myself cheat days on holidays and vacations out of town. Then I eat exactly as I please.

I am old now and I take no prescription meds. I can still run 5 miles. I will never LOOK slim because I can't afford plastic surgery. BUT if you subtract all the ugly loose skin I am thin. I have no physical limitations and I am in better shape than most of the people I know in my age group.

My only regret about the DS is not doing it decades sooner!

acaciaj
on 2/7/20 7:25 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I'm coming to the conclusion that a DS is not for me. I have no comorbidities. I actually just had extensive bloods done 2 weeks ago and they are perfect. Dr said he rarely sees bloods like that, even in 20 year olds. I have no sleep apnea or arthritis. My BP is 110/70. I don't think I want to swap my relative health for nutrient deficiencies. I do think I will re-sleeve. My surgeon says it is a viable option due to the number of years I kept weight off with my sleeve - almost 9 years before I regained more than 2kg. Thanks again!

Janet P.
on 2/7/20 3:39 pm

I'm almost 17 years post-op DS. Personally I couldn't imagine eating vegetarian, let alone vegan. I do eat "healthy" but specifically for the DS. I eat very high animal protein. I don't diet, I don't even use the word. I eat appropriately for the DS. As long as I get in all my water, vitamins, and protein, I really don't think about what I eat. I try to stay balanced but that's for the DS, not the rest of the world. I eat salads because I like them, but it's more protein and "stuff" than lettuce. I've learned how certain foods react with my body.

I also take lots of vitamins and supplements because I don't get them through food. This is non-negotiable and literally a lifetime commitment. You have to be willing to be compliant with your vitamins, getting labs done to ensure you're not deficient.

I have had a few DS-related issues. I've battled iron deficiency anemia since about year 2. I simply don't absorb oral iron but it's controlled with periodic infusions and lab checks. I've also developed osteoporosis. But I'm also now 62 years old so it could also be genetics. I'll never know. But I've also gotten rid of very bad sleep apnea that I know would have ultimately killed me.

Would I do the DS again - absolutely.

I will say that the DS, just like the sleeve, is only a tool. You have to change your mindset and look at food in a completely different way.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

acaciaj
on 2/7/20 7:24 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply to me. I'm coming to the conclusion that a DS is not for me. I have no comorbidities. I actually just had extensive bloods done 2 weeks ago and they are perfect. Dr said he rarely sees bloods like that, even in 20 year olds. I have no sleep apnea or arthritis. My BP is 110/70. I don't think I want to swap my relative health for nutrient deficiencies. I do think I will re-sleeve. My surgeon says it is a viable option due to the number of years I kept weight off with my sleeve - almost 9 years before I regained more than 2kg. Thanks again!

TheWombat
on 2/8/20 8:32 am, edited 2/8/20 12:54 am
VSG on 06/11/18

To paraphrase an Irish saying, "athníon vegan vegan eile" (one vegan recognises another). I don't know anything about DS, but I just wanted to reach out to you because there aren't many vegan WLSers on this forum. The thread below lists a lot of WLS-friendly vegan food products that are worth searching out. Not all of the suggestions are vegan, but the ones from me are.

https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/amos/6041034/What-product s-do-you-find-helpful-post-WLS/

acaciaj
on 2/12/20 12:21 am

Hi!! Thanks so much for touching base with me. Have you had surgery or are you considering it? I'll check out that list. Thanks again ?

TheWombat
on 2/12/20 10:06 am
VSG on 06/11/18

Yes, I had surgery about a year and a half ago. I'm now at a normal BMI!

White Dove
on 2/10/20 7:39 pm - Warren, OH

I would suggest just going on a diet like non weight loss surgery people do and sticking to it. Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Noom, Weigh****chers, or some other plan.

I do Weigh****chers to get rid of regain.

I can eat meat, pizza, cake, ice cream, bread, rolls, candy, pasta, potatoes, fruit, vegetables, or any food as long as I count the calories.

I rejoined Weigh****chers in the third year after surgery when I had regained to 6 over goal. I had surgery in 2007. My highest gain was 30 pounds a year ago. I am currently 14 over goal and plan to be there by summer.

I resigned myself to the fact that I will always have to follow some form of diet and WW is easiest for me.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 2/12/20 7:08 am

I agree with White Dove. Find some sort of plan or support group to help you. At 209 you are what I would say is a normal-overweight person in our country. You do not need to lose much to get back into a healthy weight range.

I gained 30 pounds while I was caring for my mother and dealing with her death. I am doing WW now. So far it is working for me. I needed something to get my mind back into the game.

We both can do it!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Recent Topics