Ridiculous Misconceptions after WLS

beelzebubbles
on 9/18/19 5:31 am - Lansdowne, PA

I thought I would get skinny but I only got down to 200 lbs. I stopped losing weight about 14 months after surgery. Oh well! I mostly have stayed away from diets cause they cause me to binge.

People treat you better the thinner you are that is no misconception.

I also thought I would become more attractive but my face got old looking due to sagging skin.

I didn't really have a lot of misconceptions except those two.

I was just happy to get most of the weight off.

Woohoo!

Noodle65
on 9/18/19 4:44 pm
DS on 10/18/12

I foolishly believed WLS would resolve ALL of my health issues. But ironically enough, just five months after my DS (caught by my follow up labs) I was diagnosed with a VERY aggressive acute Myloid leukemia (AML).

Once diagnosed, I spent over a year recieving the strongest chemo given to humans with my oncologists very perplexed on how to deal with my DS. Through Devine intervention, a PA from my surgeons office also worked at my oncologist's dedicated bone marrow transplant floor. She was able to explain the DS to my team.

Additionally, I was forbidden from losing weight during my year of treatment. In October I'll be 7 years out, I've been deemed cured of AML, by the grace of almighty God, I maintain a 100 pound weightloss with little to no attention to my diet. Other than always getting my protein and vitamins in.

I am also fighting severe osteoporosis. Now, whether this was caused by the DS, chemo, abrupt menopause at 49, 9 months of calcium taking neglect is unknown. The great news is Fortero has resolved the osteoporosis in my spine and im praying it does the same in my hips.

So I guess you could say, my DS did resolve ALL my health issues, in a very wierd way.

Blessings

Julie

PeteA
on 9/27/19 6:06 pm - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

Number one is funny to me because I still think that if I ate anything that day that would lead me to gas laying down always gets it started. Just ask my poor suffering dog. :)

I did have some thought about women knocking on my door but of course I wasn't outgoing before the surgery and didn't change after it but at 61 I'm OK with it.

These are all pretty good. I mostly just wanted to be healthier and be able to be more mobile and that worked out for me so I think I had very few misconceptions, mostly because my goals were pretty narrow.

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

Valerie G.
on 9/29/19 10:26 am, edited 9/29/19 3:26 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

1) I thought my boobs couldn't get any saggier. I was wrong. After nearly 14 years since my DS, I'm even "wronger"...because dayum!

2) I thought I wouldn't change after I lost my weight. I did change. My confidence went through the roof and caught the attention of others. I also became a ***** according to some. I used to say I had ADD (acquired doormat disorder), but I lost the need to please others at my own expense and started saying no a lot more. some users didn't appreciate that one bit.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Recent Topics