Low Ferritin

animallover1247
on 7/22/19 5:13 pm

Could you please tell me what level your ferritin was at when you needed an iron transfusion? Thanks

Janet P.
on 7/23/19 8:34 am

The very first time my ferritin was 3. The hematologist I see has a rule that when ferritin is below 100 I'm anemic - some doctors use 50 as a marker. I had many symptoms of iron deficiency anemia, particularly pica (I chewed ice incessantly). Another symptom for me was restless leg syndrome and of course I was always tired. It's something I will have to watch for the rest of my life. I don't take oral iron so I rely completely on infusions. Last one was almost 18 months ago and so far, so good.

I've never had a transfusion. I know some people have needed blood transfusions, but I've only had iron infusions.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

animallover1247
on 7/23/19 9:48 am

I was just curious because I'm only one year post op ryn and my ferritin level is 16. My Dr office is not concerned about it at all whereas my friends surgeon would order a transfusion at that level. I just don't understand why there can be such a difference of opinion regarding lab levels.

Janet P.
on 7/23/19 12:07 pm

16 is way too low. It's not a transfusion, it's an iron infusion - big difference. What type of doctor are you talking to - your RNY surgeon or your regular doctor? Have you gone to a hematologist?

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

animallover1247
on 7/23/19 1:19 pm

It's the PA at my bariatric doctors office. I have not seen a hemotologist but it may be a good idea!

Fire_Ice
on 7/23/19 12:38 pm
DS on 10/25/17

blong
on 8/6/19 3:10 pm - Yuma, CO

Hi Everyone, I had a RNY in 2002. Didn't start having low iron and low ferritin until 3 years ago. Had an iron infusion times 3 over a week, got my iron levels up but didn't really help the ferritin. I did some research and started using a Iron Patch with Vit C. Last year my iron levels had increased, ferritin was still low. This year both are in the normal range! I don't know if your insurance will pay for the patch because you can get it over the counter. I get mine from PatchMD.com.

Recent Topics