My labs are terrible for anemia, no vitamin A or Vitamin D, low B 12 low iron I need help

Janet P.
on 5/13/19 6:20 am

Dr. Elariny is still doing the DS in Fairfax.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

(deactivated member)
on 5/12/19 12:24 pm
sarah Shonfelt
on 5/12/19 11:17 pm - Acworth, GA
Can you suggest where to purchase the dry vitamins. I was really non-compliant for years on my vitamins and have been doing iron infusions because my ferritin is now for 4 years, I take 10,000 units vitamin d capsule, and a potassium pill. But my calcium is low, and I think my A. I always have high vitamin b, that's never been low but too high. I used ADEK for years but all my labs still were coming out deficient so I stopped, not a good decision. Thanks!!!

Thanks, Sarah                 HW: 325 SW: 311  -  DS Surgery 10/15/08

Janet P.
on 5/13/19 6:19 am

I get almost everything on Amazon. My primary brand is biotech, especially for ADEK - all individual vitamins. Just found the convenience of Amazon (I'm a prime member) is worth it, especially if I realize I'm out of something I can usually get it in a day or two.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Louise H.
on 5/13/19 11:10 pm

Jeanieb, it would make me so uncomfortable to try to deal with such a serious medical condition without an experienced doctor to help me. Is there some reason why you can't find a bariatric surgeon in your area to help you, perhaps with the help of your PCP?

I know of people who have had to have gotten regular infusions in a clinic, not something they can manage on their own.

chevtow41
on 5/14/19 12:08 pm
DS on 11/11/14

Most bariatric doctors are awful with nutrition and supplements, which is why some DS patients become malnourished, especially the ones who listen to their docs who say take a bariatric multi and some calcium and you'll be good.

Janet P.
on 5/14/19 12:23 pm

For the majority, the surgeon is good for one thing, cutting. I had one of the best DS surgeons in the country but his follow up sucked. I had to learn to be my own advocate and not rely on what the surgeon or his staff told me. I was taking bariatric vitamins sold by my surgeon. After a year I was so deficient they just kept added additional vitamins. I finally stopped the bariatric vitamins when I was fortunate enough to find Vitalady. She saved me.

Finding a primary doctor who was willing to work with me has helped enormously. Same with the right hematologist.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

jeannieb793
on 5/16/19 10:09 am

DO they get referred by a hematologist or an endocrinologist for the vitamin infusions? MY primary care dr is willing to refer me he wants to but honestly doesn't know who to refer me to THere are no doctors in my area who did duodenal switch and my drs office from years ago didn't call me back I appreciate any help

Louise H.
on 5/16/19 3:01 pm

It's a friend of a friend. I'll check. But now I understand. Tough situation. I have a great bariatric surgeon in my area who takes care of all of this. That's why I didn't understand.

Recent Topics