Probiotics

CamCake
on 12/1/18 2:40 pm

I am 3 months out and was wondering if I should be taking probiotics? If so how much and what kind. Currently I take 2400 calcuim, ADEK and Iron I have struggled with constipation several time since my surgery. Will the probiotic help with this? I have only seen my surgeon once since my surgery he is starting a new practice. With that said most of the things I have learned regarding the DS have come from this site. I would really appreciate any feedback

Thanks in advance

PeteA
on 12/3/18 8:02 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

The probiotics will help generally but not specifically for the constipation. I would recommend adding magnesium oxide to your daily vitamins. It draws water into the bowels and helps with keeping you regular.
I used this the first year after suffering constipation from opioids post-op. Keep it on your regular schedule not just when you are constipated.

How much liquid do you get in a day? I'm 5 years out and do over a 100 oz a day. Much better than I initially did. More liquids would help too.

Lastly don't be worried about using something like Mir-a-lax most docs don't think it causes a problem over time.

Just a quick not on your vits. Track your labs so you have an indication of anything trending down. A lot of people move on from ADEK's because it is too hard to change individual doses, and usually people need to add more vitamin D than comes in those but you labs are always your guide. You might also consider adding B12, and one or 2 Centrum type multi's. Just something people generally take.

Pete

HW 552 CW 198 SW 464 4/15/13 - Lap DS by Dr. Philip Schauer - Cleveland Clinic.

CamCake
on 12/3/18 7:36 pm

Thank you Pete,

I will go get the magnesium oxide TOMORROW!!! Can I get them at Target, Walmart or Walgreens. I get about 80oz of water in a day and I do a once a week nasal spray for my b12. Also I feel like I'm losing slow I only lose 2 pounds last month ugh. 17 the first month and 11 the second month. Do you have any suggestions for that

thanks in advance for all your help

PeteA
on 12/5/18 4:13 am - Parma, OH
DS on 04/15/13

You will have to make sure and read the labels for the mag oxide. Personally, I buy wherever with local BOGO but mostly I look for deals at Vitamin Shoppe. I started off buying from Vitalady but easier to work with some of the bigger chains.

80 oz sounds pretty good to me.

Well, 30 lbs is nothing to sneeze at and you might have just hit a plateau. For me nothing got me off a stall but sticking to the hydration and protein. You might want to start another thread with a couple of your average menu's and see what people have to offer.

I never counted carbs but the first year it was pretty low because I focused so hard on protein. A lot of people say to do 50 or less during your "peak" weight loss (12 - 18 months).

pete

Beam me up Scottie
on 12/6/18 6:50 pm
I took probiotics and the OTC kind made me more gassy. I found that yogurt works better. I now make my own in my instant pot.

Scott
Recent Topics