Lab test for protein and calcium issues?

Gwen M.
on 11/4/18 7:29 am
VSG on 03/13/14

It's actually a DEXA scan and there are two types.

You can have your doctor order one and that's the type that insurance covers and you do at your local radiology imaging place. I think of it as a "medical" DEXA scan and it gives you information about your bone density and that's it. You shouldn't have a problem getting one now due to your age, gender, and the fact that you've had WLS.

The other type is a "consumer" DEXA scan and you'll have to google around to find a place local to you. I use Composition ID for mine -- https://www.compositionid.com/locations/. In addition to the bone density information, this also tells you the rest of your body composition, so body fat, etc. It's not covered by insurance, although you can often use FSA/HSA money to pay for it. It's interesting for the other information that it gives you.

PTH is a great test to see if your blood is leeching calcium from your bones, as PTH is the hormone that tells your body to do that. So if it's high, that's a bad thing. But the only way to really be sure is with a DEXA scan.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

aeadix
on 11/8/18 9:59 pm

Thank Gwen! Great Information!!

jpconnie21
on 11/14/18 8:21 am

I had three breaks in my back and 12 weeks ago I missed the bottom step coming out of my house. I broke 9 out of 26 bones in my foot. It still is not healed all the way.

After I broke my back 2.5 years ago, they found out I had severe osti. Since then I have had my regular Dexiscan yearly and do show some bone growth, take tymlos injections daily. Very similar to a diabetes injection. Tiny needle, preloaded needle.

Hope this helps some.

Eat lots of calcium because our bodies absorb it better than pills. still take your supplements though!

aeadix
on 11/14/18 10:29 am

I'm sorry that you've had such a tough time. Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'll definitely be careful to get lots of calcium, and make sure to get the Dexi scan!

Recent Topics