Extreme Abdominal Pain 1 year Post Op

livecity
on 9/12/18 9:53 am

so if its gas then how do you make the pain go away? it doesnt feel like gas to me, it feels like food going through my intestines.

Valerie G.
on 9/18/18 5:20 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Oh, things like pasta did it to me for my first 10 years. Today I can have it, but still get gassy..just not as bad and I still just have a tiny bit. I found other things to enjoy those pasta sauces with.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

livecity
on 9/12/18 8:18 am

My GI doctor called today and said i should go to the ER the next time the pain happens and maybe they can get me into the MRi before it goes away, lol. even though at my ER it takes approx 2-3 hours to get seen by a doctor, sounds like wishful thinking to me.

larra
on 9/12/18 11:06 am - bay area, CA

As imperfect as ER care may be, I think that's probably your best bet. Except that usually the test of choice is CT scan with contrast. The idea would be to spot a hernia or other cause of blockage right while it's happening (endoscopy is great for other problems but not for this).

I hope either that, or figuring out some part of your diet that causes severe pain, will provide a solution for you.

Larra

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/18 5:00 pm
NYMom222
on 9/22/18 8:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I posted above about the internal hernia- my Doc said the same thing- next time you have pain just go to the ER.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

hollykim
on 9/12/18 1:50 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 11, 2018 at 10:03 AM Pacific Time, livecity wrote:

It's been over a year since my DS surgery and I lost 120 pounds. Starting about 2 months ago, I started getting extreme abdominal pain after I eat some meals, starting in my upper abdomen then going to the lower abdomen. The pain is a 10 out of 10. It happens about once or twice a week. Sometimes it happens when i eat more carbs, and sometimes it's just proteins. The pain lasts about 4 hours then goes away. My guess this the food going through my digestive track. I cannot eat or drink when in this pain. I tried taking a Nexium and Pepto Bismol but i vomit it right up.

I went to my GI doctor and he ordered a lot of bloodwork and I did an MRI of my abdomen with and without contrast. We couldn't figure out why or what's causing this pain. The only issue I have is i developed a fatty liver due to all of the weight loss. My blood work just shows my liver values as being high, and I'm low in calcium, and iron which I'm working on fixing.

It's been about a month and I haven't had any pains until yesterday i had some pasta and I was in this extreme pain again. I almost wanted to go to the ER because it hurts so bad. But i figured by the time i got checked and they start doing some tests, it would be gone by then. And anyways the only way of seeing what's wrong is by doing another MRI and i just did one and it didn't reveal anything. I also wasn't in pain when I did the MRI either.

So has anyone else here have this issue, or what what the hell is going on here? I cannot take this pain any longer. It happens randomly, and it doesn't seem to be a specific food that causes it. It literally paralyzes me for four hours. I cannot live like this and I am desperate for answers as to how to stop it from happening again but nobody knows. My primary doctor doesn't know and my GI doctor doesn't know. Nobody knows anything.

having a fatty liver and having elevated liver enzymes are two different things.

Elevsted liver enzymes can happen with rapid weight loss.

Rapid weight loss doesn't cause fatty liver, it cures fatty liver. Morbidly obese ppl almost always have fatty liver.

livecity
on 9/12/18 6:23 pm

your right its possible i had a fatty liver pre surgery, but the high liver enzymes didn't start till approx 3 months post surgery. they are still high but slowly getting lower. but my liver one year post surgery and after losing 120 pounds, my liver is still extremely fatty. it hasnt changed. im hoping it improves. my MRI says Hepatomegaly with severe hepatic steatosis

livecity
on 9/28/18 9:34 am

Well the mystery has been solved! Yesterday i ate chicken and tofu and 20 minutes later i started having extreme abdominal pain again. I went right to the ER and I was there for 5 hours. Within 2 hours they were able to put me under a catscan and said that my bowel and intestines were dialating/expanding around the surgical site which was causing my pain because i either ate too fast or too much. I honestly don't remember eating too much as when that happens I would vomit it out. I did eat fast a little more than normal because I haven't eaten yesterday for 4 hours and was starving. I guess don't eat too much or too fast.

livecity
on 10/2/18 5:34 pm

i had extreme abdominal pain again and went to the ER and they got me into a cat scan. i either ate too much food or ate too fast. this only happens 1-2 times a month.

this is the results from my catscan

1. Postsurgical changes from sleeve gastrectomy with gastric bypass.
    Marked dilation of the jejunum adjacent to the gastric anastomosis
    measuring up to 5.4 cm. More distal small bowel segments are of normal
    caliber and contains oral contrast. Focal dilation may represent
    delayed emptying or partial obstruction. Fluoroscopic evaluation may
    be considered for further characterization.
    2. Diffuse hepatic steatosis.

should i just be more careful as i ate so it doesnt happen again? or should i consult with a DS surgeon and ask maybe i need a further analysis of the surgical site? not sure what to do.

Recent Topics